Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
When I've looked after 10 speed chains really really badly they've lasted as little as 1000-1500 miles (on a pre-worn cassette iirc). Decently looked after ones last more like 3000 miles for me. That's with using a cheapo chain wear indicator. I tend to err on the side of letting the chain go a little further than the wear indicator says I should due to the fact the cheap indicators are kind of rubbish and really don't properly measure things.

There are lots of factors that can affect chain life so I think it's pretty normal to see quite a large variation.

Soldato
I think I'm round about that mark distance wise although it would be a mixture of indoor and outdoor riding but I don't think my lounge will have had any adverse affects on the chain! :p

You say that... But without clearing the road grime off the work indoors on the trainer will just have been working it further into the chain links ;)

I'll take a look into those things after work tonight and no doubt come back with daft questions when I'm not sure about something ;)

Ask away, I wasn't saying chain cleaners are a waste of money as they're not. But as a replacement for a good clean on a dirty chain that hasn't been cleaned much (and is showing rust signs) it's probably better it has a good initial scrub (which means removing it, a task in itself if it has no quick link) followed by the chain cleaner in future to 'keep on top' of the chain cleaning in an easy, fairly regular way (which makes it less of a ball ache, so more likely to carry it out!) :)

Decently looked after ones last more like 3000 miles for me. That's with using a cheapo chain wear indicator. I tend to err on the side of letting the chain go a little further than the wear indicator says I should due to the fact the cheap indicators are kind of rubbish and really don't properly measure things.

I've not got myself a chain indicator but it's on my shopping list - anyone got any recommendations? Not looking for a cheap one I can't rely on ;)

Some good deals on Wiggle I've spotted this lunchtime:

What's our general consensus on cycling sock length guys? Until now (ie last year when last wearing shorts) I was wearing ankle length cheapy primark trainer socks but this year I'll be having my legs out more... 8cm, 12cm, 14cm? I'm guessing go mid-range (12cm) but then match shoes, gear or bike colours? ;) :p

Man of Honour
Er..I'll try and dig out a decent chain wear tool. The one I have isn't great so although it's cheap I don't recommend it :p A tape measure and patience are better really...and possibly free if you already have the tape measure.

Good price on the Road Machine II.

I'm tempted by the bib shorts but the colours look so hideous :s

Soldato
So my road bike upgrades are now done*

Frame: 2011 Specialized Allez – Aluminium E5
Groupset: Full Shimano 105 : 5800 11 speed
Wheels: Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Mega G3 with Ceramic bearings
Tyres: Schwalbe Ultremo Evo 23mm
Bar Tape: Fresh white Lizard Skins

* pending Stages power meter replacement

Weight as show below - 8.3kg

16031256164_4633e05297_o.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I'm terrible at cleaning my bikes, but the least use I got out of a chain was 2,200 miles. I changed that one before it was completely worn as well. If your only getting 620 miles from a chain, something is wrong. I would use a different wear indicator tool.

Soldato
my last 10 speed chain lasted 2300 miles before it got a really bad stiff link. It still had loads of wear life left (I replace at .75%) but I don't trust a chain once it's gone stiff

I treated it really badly too.

Man of Honour
Has anyone got a DHB Turbulence jacket? How is it and how it the fit? It sounds like it's a bit large on the stomach area and short on the length. Is that right?

edit: I asked this same question a month ago. God my memory is terrible :(

edit2: Ordered...and some bib shorts for summer commuting. Also, I forgot I had £30 in paypal from a refund so the total was only £20 rather than the £50 I expected, awesome :)

Last edited:
Associate
Some good deals on Wiggle I've spotted this lunchtime:

That Road Machine II deal is great I paid £315 from Evans in November. Admittedly is was about £10-30 more expensive than most places at the time but I bought as Evans were giving away a £50 voucher for spending over £300 and I then used this to buy a turbo tyre, Ant+ usb stick and riser block.

Soldato
I'm terrible at cleaning my bikes, but the least use I got out of a chain was 2,200 miles. I changed that one before it was completely worn as well. If your only getting 620 miles from a chain, something is wrong. I would use a different wear indicator tool.

my last 10 speed chain lasted 2300 miles before it got a really bad stiff link. It still had loads of wear life left (I replace at .75%) but I don't trust a chain once it's gone stiff

mine seem to be alright for 3500-4500miles! 3.6k on current sram chain and it's still going well..

triban 3 must have over 5k on the chain! - 9k on odo and it's on 2nd chain!

Soldato
Er..I'll try and dig out a decent chain wear tool. The one I have isn't great so although it's cheap I don't recommend it :p A tape measure and patience are better really...and possibly free if you already have the tape measure.

Good price on the Road Machine II.

I'm tempted by the bib shorts but the colours look so hideous :s

It's hard to tell if the blue of the shorts is the same 'DHB Blue' as several of my tops are - if it is then it's more like the mid blue of these forums than the sky blue it looks in the Wiggle pictures. A great blue in my opinion, but I'm not sure I'd want shorts just a plain colour like that (tart-mode, pun intended ;) :p).

Regarding chain-wear I've seen just a metal L shaped 'thing' that measures distance between links before but can't see it listed on Wiggle, the only one I spotted on there was this one which seems a little overkill for what we're after...

That does look awesome, I'm not a huge fan of red (and why I've never really looked at the Allez much) but with the white it looks superb! Love how good the tyres look and the wheels really compliment it too! :cool:

I've got a few stiff links on my trainer bikes chain (old road bike which did 800 all weather road miles with little to no chain 'servicing', just rough wipe and relube). I nearly replaced it but as it was late on a sunday I took it off the bike (my first chain link removal as no QL) WD40'd it and scrubbed it totally clean. Worked the stiff links with my fingers and some wet lube and free'd them all up (I even had the remove the pin on one to free it up). It's a cheapy HG 8 speed chain and I fully expected it to snap from my link removal & reinsertion (and fully prepared to replace it then) but so far so good as it's done ~300 miles on the turbo since and has a new lease of life! :D

Has anyone got a DHB Turbulence jacket? How is it and how it the fit? It sounds like it's a bit large on the stomach area and short on the length. Is that right?

edit: I asked this same question a month ago. God my memory is terrible :(

edit2: Ordered...and some bib shorts for summer commuting. Also, I forgot I had £30 in paypal from a refund so the total was only £20 rather than the £50 I expected, awesome :)

WINNING! Not tried the Turbulence (as I think I said before, I've tried 80% of the DHB jackets!) ;)

Still got a Black Commuter in Large, great condition if anyone wants one... £20 (inc postage)!

That Road Machine II deal is great I paid £315 from Evans in November. Admittedly is was about £10-30 more expensive than most places at the time but I bought as Evans were giving away a £50 voucher for spending over £300 and I then used this to buy a turbo tyre, Ant+ usb stick and riser block.

Yeah I paid the same too (waited until it was on a deal)! ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I asked for mine for Christmas so who knows how much it cost :p

My sister in law bought it for me, and said she had no idea what she was buying so just went into Evans and showed them a text message with the relevant mysterious words :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom