The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Associate
Cloud II looks good, solves the problem of my PC buzzing when connected through 3.5mm (common problem with the mobo I have) without me having to put in a sound card like I was planning on. Will the USB connection work with the PS4 too or will it need to be plugged in to the pad with the 4 pole connection?

Looks like I've found my new headset after all my disappointments with TB.

Edit: Found this in a review, I wouldn't have minded about having to plug in to the pad but even better if it works through USB.

The USB DSP works well on PC and PlayStation 4, creating clear chat functions and explosive sound.

http://gamingillustrated.com/kingston-hyperx-cloud-ii-gaming-headset-review/

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
After reading through your posts I'm concerned about needing an amp with the clouds. I'm not a complete audiophile, would I get away without an amp?

The Clouds appeal to me as I sit about 10ft away from the console so the bundled in extension leads would be perfect.

What are your thoughts for the 100th time Sonny?

You don't need an amp to boost the sound they work off usb.

You will need a mixamp if you want to use virtual surround sound though. Sony were meant to be releasing surround sound through USB but I don't know what has happened on that front or whether it was just gossip.

As an all in one wired solution goes the hyper x cloud is the best value for money solution. It produces very good sound at a reasonable price. If you haven't used quality products before it should blow you away.

It's meant to be very close to a DT770 iirc. Ryan has done a review on the original in sound city part of forums.

Soldato
I have a setup question with the mixamp and games like BF4 and the Hardline beta...

Should you set the audio output in game to surround or stereo - what does the mixamp want to work best, i am aware the other settings from war tapes to tv etc are more about dynamic range but not sure on the stereo/surround setting?

Associate
Really enjoying the Cloud II, incredibly comfortable and the sound is great compared to what I'm used to. I apparently don't have audiophile ears and I can't tell the difference between having the headset plugged into the PS4 via USB or 3.5mm into the pad, so I've taken to just leaving the USB plugged into my PC and just using the short 3.5mm cable to swap between PS4 & PC. The only thing I miss is sidetone/Mic Monitoring, built in windows sidetone also doesn't work with the USB connection but I'll get used to it.

Soldato
Apologies if the answer to my question is already in this thread, I've not had a chance to read it all yet...

Does anyone have any recommendations of small/slim wireless headset to use for voice chat only? I was hoping to just use a nice slim Plantronics bluetooth headset but discovered soon after buying my PS4 that it isn't going to work (why oh why?!). Don't mind using a USB receiver if I have to even though it feels a bit redundant givent he fact the PS4 already has bluetooth.

Thanks in advance :)

Is there such a thing? I just want a basic wireless headset for chat. The free wired mono headset while surprisingly decent quality is very uncomfortable to wear and I'm getting more and more frustrated with it the more I use it.

Associate
I have been suffering for way to long with the bundled PS4 mic, time to upgrade.

I'm considering buying the TurtleBeach Stealth 500P Wireless Headset, I have some GAME credit, so will work out to be about £65. What else is there for that sort of money? They only reason i'm leaning towards these and not the cheaper 400Ps is the DTS surround sound on the 500s, but is the extra money really worth it?

I mainly play FPS / action / driving games :)

Thanks for any input

Associate
I've got a bit of a complicated setup and I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

I currently have a PC, PS4, XBox One and Wii U with all but the PC connected to my monitor via HDMI and a lead going from a headphone jack in the monitor over to my Edifier R1600T Plus speakers. The PC has an RCA cable going directly from the system board to the speakers.

I'm looking to replace my Sony Gold wireless headphones with something a bit more substantial, more comfortable and just better sound.

So two questions really:

- Any advice on a good set of headphones? Mostly used for gaming, with movies and music on occasional use. Not too expensive, maybe £150 max. Good bass is probably important too. Sound-leakage at a minimum would be preferred but not essential as I tend to use headphones most at night when my wife and baby are asleep.

- I THINK I might need a mixamp when I get new headphones. Right now I can use my Sony Gold's using the wireless dongle or connected to my Xbox One controller. But I'm looking at somehow "intercepting" the sound coming from my monitor to the speakers as the sound quality and particularly the volume output from the controllers is just a bit poorer than I'd like. Would a mixamp work? I'm picturing a box that will sit in between my monitor and speakers where I can just plug my headphones in as needed but otherwise the sound goes to the speakers.

Edit: Ended up getting the SR850's from Amazon. I'll give them a go and if they're good then that'll do me nicely. If not, I'll just send them back and see what else there is. Looking more into the mixamp, i'm not sure it'll work for me with my setup. It seems it wants optical inputs really, which means me buying an optical audio switch so more cables again. Hmm.

Last edited:
Soldato
After much reading on this site and headfi.org, my original plan was for a gaming headset such as the HyperX Cloud II, but it took a different direction (doesn't it always!)

I have just managed to bag a used 2013 Mixamp pro for £46 delivered on an auction site.

Also ordered a set of Superlux 668b's for £28 new, along with a little dx mic from China....

Total spend, £75.50 ish

How will this little setup compare to the original plan of Cloud II's?

For PS4 games, casual pc games, movies, some music, teamspeak etc.

Cheers!

Caporegime
OP
After much reading on this site and headfi.org, my original plan was for a gaming headset such as the HyperX Cloud II, but it took a different direction (doesn't it always!)

I have just managed to bag a used 2013 Mixamp pro for £46 delivered on an auction site.

Also ordered a set of Superlux 668b's for £28 new, along with a little dx mic from China....

Total spend, £75.50 ish

How will this little setup compare to the original plan of Cloud II's?

For PS4 games, casual pc games, movies, some music, teamspeak etc.

Cheers!

Well the mixamp will provide a very good quality source for your 668b's and although they are very good headphones I don't think they are as good as the Cloud 2's. So you have a better source but slightly inferior headphones.

I would honestly though just use your setup and judge for yourself. If you find they are good enough then great. Ideally you want something like a HD555, HD595, HD558 or HD598 for gaming.

I have owned HD595's and I currently own HD558's and I found the 595's to be better but that is probably due to me not modding my 558's (which I shall do one day).

IMO one of the best and releatively cheap gaming headphones you can buy are the HD595, HD555 (which can be modded into a 595 very easily) and the HD558. The HD598 is just too expensive but looks cool compared to the HD558 which can be modded into a 598 using the same mod as the 555.

I have Q701's and I still rate the 595 up there with them in terms of gaming, not as wide a soundstage but the clarity and detail was outstanding on them.

You can pick up a second hand pair of 555's for around £40-£50, about £10 more for 595's. Brand new HD558's can be had for as cheap as £80 @ auction.

I'd put a modded 555/558 and the HD595 as the best bang for buck gaming headphone you can buy. It's quite a big jump from any headphone which is <£50 to the sennheisser 5x5/5x8 range.

I would rate the 595's a 9/10 for gaming
Modded 558's would be a 9.5/10.
AKG X7XX range would be the 10/10.

e.g. I don't believe you need anything more expensive than K702's for gaming. There is a guy on here in sound city who is using like £2000 worth of headphones for gaming. I doubt most people could really tell the difference compared to £150 pair of K702's or £200 Q701's, the difference between headphones in the £150-£300 range to the more expensive stuff isn't that big.

Another popular choice if you like bass are the DT770 which is closed or the Fidelio X1/X2 range.

I have owned Fidelio X1's and I currently own DT770's of the 2 Fidelio's imo are better but if you don't want to annoy people arround you and want a good closed can then the DT770 is very very good.

I also have HD600's but I would never use them for gaming, simply because they don't suit it. However they are my favourite headphones for music, the mids are so smooth no other headphone really comes close for vocals either.

Soldato
B*gger!!....I have read the Clouds were good in terms of a headset, but thought a set of headphones such as the 668b, albeit cheap, would still be better going by the reviews.

I did see a supposedly brand new set of 558's on gumtree for £85, but its about a 40 minute drive away.

I'll see how these go to begin with!

Caporegime
OP
B*gger!!....I have read the Clouds were good in terms of a headset, but thought a set of headphones such as the 668b, albeit cheap, would still be better going by the reviews.

I did see a supposedly brand new set of 558's on gumtree for £85, but its about a 40 minute drive away.

I'll see how these go to begin with!

as a headset the clouds are very very good for the money.

since you have a mixamp though your much better off going with a set of headphones. 668b's are very very good £30 headphones but at the end of the day still £30 headphones.

The koss portapros are what you want if you only have a budget of £30 for gaming. 668b correct me if i'm wrong are more bass heavy.

What type of gaming is it that you do? Immersive as in single player story mode. Or competitive as in online FPS against other people.

Different headphones suit differenty types of gaming. It's the reason why I have HD558's and Q701's for competitive and DT770's and I'll pick up a set of X2's as well for immersion.

668B's will suit single player games well, competitive not so much.

Soldato
No, the 668b have been described as bright as opposed to bassy, so strong treble, I believe your Panasonics are more bassy?

I did consider the Koss, but they were on ear not over ear and I assumed they would get uncomfortable?

I don't have a budget of £30, I just love products which punch above their weight!

As for the games I play, on consoles its mainly single player, with some driveclub online, gta5 online maybe.

PC its Assetto Corsa, some casual TF2, casual CS and single player games.

Then of course some music and movies

Caporegime
OP
No, the 668b have been described as bright as opposed to bassy, so strong treble, I believe your Panasonics are more bassy?

I did consider the Koss, but they were on ear not over ear and I assumed they would get uncomfortable?

I don't have a budget of £30, I just love products which punch above their weight!

As for the games I play, on consoles its mainly single player, with some driveclub online, gta5 online maybe.

PC its Assetto Corsa, some casual TF2, casual CS and single player games.

Then of course some music and movies

Just read some reviews and yeah bright with maybe recessed mids, albeit relatively neutral.

You have to take a lot of those reviews with a pinch of salt. People overhype some cheap products saying they punch well above their weight which is fine, but they won't be anywhere near as good as a truly decent mid priced headphone which some of them claim it is.

I've owned HTF600's another epic £30 budget headphone, very good heaphones for £30. But at £50 the CAL is better. @ £100 you then have DT770's and HD558's. @ £150 you have the K702.

The right headphones for you would most likely be either the CAL @ £50 or the DT770 @ £100 ish.

Unless your really into competitive online fps then you should consider HD558's. I wouldn't bother with the K702's overkill for your needs. If you can try and test some CAL's (creative aurvana live) or the DT770's, or maybe even the clouds, they are supposed to be similar to the DT770 albeit available with a mic built in for cheaper.

Only when you listen to them for yourself can you really pass judgement on them.

I've owned HE400's which are £400 headphones and I didn't like them for example. I preferred £150 X1's. Therefore with all the money I have spent and what I know the best gaming headphones in the bang for buck are all in the £150-£200 range IMO. Fidelio X1's and K702's being the best for immersive and competitive with the Sennheiser 5xx range being close behind the K702 and the DT770 being a notch or two below the X1.

Their is a HUGE jump in quality between £30 to £100-£200. After that though the jumps are very small.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would you mind me asking what makes a set of headphones better for competitive gaming?

Why would they differ from a set of headphones that were good for normal games? Are you sacrificing audio quality for something?

Caporegime
OP
Would you mind me asking what makes a set of headphones better for competitive gaming?

Why would they differ from a set of headphones that were good for normal games? Are you sacrificing audio quality for something?

soundstage - how wide the stage is in front of you

for example a really wide soundstage makes it easier to pick out where the sound is coming from think of it as surround sound. being able to pick out where a sound is coming from makes listening to gunfire/footsteps more useful

recessed bass - bass isn't heavy

if your trying to listen out for footsteps the last thing you want it booming grenades going off all around you, so you want a headphone which is bass light, so you can hear stuff better

the opposite applies to immersive gaming, you want to feel that grenade hit you, so you want excessive bass or decent bass at least

this is something a lot of people don't understand, you cannot just use any brilliant music headphone for gaming.

I own HD600's which is currently my favourite music headphone, however I have never used it for gaming because it doesn't suit gaming. listen to music on it and your in heaven.

The best all rounder I have heard personally are X1, Q701 (which can be bass modded) and DT770's and in that order. Albeit the Q701 is a better headphone it's hard to drive which is why I have placed the X1 above it.

It needs a very powerful amp, a mixamp alone isn't enough it needs to be double amped. I use a Schiit Vali with mine.

This is why I own so many headphones, they all have their own unique uses.

I own 2 small portable pairs HD25-1 II, Momentum on ears. An all rounder DT770. 2 Gaming headphones HD558's (easily driven) and Q701's (hard to drive). Reference Quality headphones HD600's.

I'm also planning on rebuying a set of fidelio X range because it's a brilliant "fun" headphone.

That will be 7 headphones in my collection and it will end there. I also have about 10 pairs of IEMS.

If your looking for the best all rounder get a fidelio x1 or a fidelio x2. It can do pretty much anything very well. Booming bass, open wide soundstage, great for music and all types of gaming but not a purist competitive gaming headphone it does well.

You can pick up a second hand fidelio x1 for like £100

Last edited:
Soldato
Very much appreciate your explanation!!

We will have to see how I get on with the Superlux's, no doubt they will impress me considering I have never had a set of anything before, no doubt next on the list will be a sound card upgrade!

Caporegime
OP
Very much appreciate your explanation!!

We will have to see how I get on with the Superlux's, no doubt they will impress me considering I have never had a set of anything before, no doubt next on the list will be a sound card upgrade!

They are very good budget headphones but my HTF600's quickly made me want to see how far the rabbit hole goes.

I've been there and done that and IMO if anyone is after cheap and amazing gaming headphones. Nothing comes close in the bang for buck as a second hand pair of HD555's (which can be modded into 595's) or 595's themselves.

Your talking about £50 which is £20 more than what you spent and you would have had one of the best competitive headphones available. The jump in quality would be the jump in going from a ford focus to say a bmw M5, it's that big a jump for the extra £20 it's leagues ahead.

Ideally though it's best to try out headphones before buying them. I have a friend at work who said he was interested in buying a set of headphones for music, so I've been letting him borrow a pair of mine every week and then asking him what he liked/disliked about them so I can better gauge what is the best one for him.

I've pretty much nailed it that he would love a set of fidelio x1's but he really lived the sound of my HD600's but he needs a closed headphone. So he may end up buying DT770, X1 and HD600's when he was looking for 1 music headphone. There is no such thing as 1 perfect headphone for every situation, they can vary drastically and so does their price and quality.

I sold my HD595 to buy my HD558 and I wish I didn't albeit newer it's not as good until you mod it but I spent like £40 in the upgrade process and the sound difference is so little it wasn't worth it, makes zero difference in games. Sold my X1's to buy HE400's and I wish i didn't because albeit more expensive and made using a better technology I didn't like the size of them or the signature, it was too fatiguing (bright) for my ears.

Your superlux are bright, if your ears get tired quick using them then I would sell them and buy something more neutral in the treble department.

Soldato
Looking at the HD555's on an auction site it seems the sold listings vary in price quite wildly, there is currently only one pair for sale, which has 5 days to go and is already on £52!

Likewise for 558 and 598 models, not a lot for sale at decent prices.

I'll use the Superlux and keep an eye out in the mean time, hopefully they will arrive soon, same for the Mixamp

Caporegime
OP
probably because the price of all half decent sennheiser stuff has gotten more and more expensive so has 2nd hand prices.

maybe better off going with 558's then if the older stuff is getting hard to find, they can be modded into 598's very easily. just remove some foam and that's it.

maybe try gumtree, auction tends to get stupid with headphones sometimes and on others nobody bids, prices can vary wildly. if your prepared to wait then stick with auction. look at new prices and set a figure your comfortable paying for second hand gear depending on it's condition.

if your keen on a bargain then it may take some time for one to pop up at the right price. I paid around £80 for brand new HD558's. I got lucky though someone was selling them BIN at that price and I snapped them up straight away.

Back
Top Bottom