Windows 7 Laptop won't connect to Internet via LAN Cable

Soldato
Hi all,

I am pulling my hair out on this one.

I've just installed an SSD in a Lenovo X61 laptop and done a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro (x64)

The Wireless on the machine connects perfectly and Internet works ...but when I stick a LAN cable in ....it detects the cable ...but I just cannot get it connected to the 'internet'

Network and Sharing just says 'Unidentified network'

I have tried everything I could find on google ...does anybody here have any other ideas please?

When I do 'ipconfig /all' it shows that I have a '169.xxx....' address?

Thanks

APM

APM

Associate
try a router reset

or re-set the adaptor you're using to connect in network and sharing centre

169.254.xxx.xxx means you're not getting a DHCP address automatically so you can go to the adaptor and see that it is set to obtain a DHCP address automatically or try giving administrator rights to "Local service" and "Network service" if that fails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAHPWheIi4k

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't reset the router. It's not the router.

Try an ipconfig /renew and see if it helps.
Make sure you have the latest drivers installed
Make sure the adapter is doing IPv4 in the properties.

Don't reckon release/renew will work, assignment of IPs is pretty robust when it's working.

Make sure you've got the right LAN driver, and if poss check the cable on another machine. Or try another cable.

Alternatively, try plumbing a static IP in there to rule out DHCP issues.

Soldato
Last time I had a problem like this, it turned out to be a dodgy pin in the Ethernet socket.
Take a good look at both sockets with a flashlight, and try a different cable that you have tested as working.

Also check that you are plugging into a LAN designated socket on the router, not a WAN socket (if it has them)

Back
Top Bottom