The Snowsports Thread 2014-15

Soldato
+1 for Dogtag Insurance. You even get your own dogtag and metal case :D

Where did you end up? just got back from Bankso a week or so ago. I wanna go back :(

I'm in bansko right now! (came today). Any recommendations for dinner, and times to get to piste etc? Seems very industrial, looking forward to the slopes tomorrow!

Soldato
Forgot I posted in here :p

Ended up doing my boardng lessons at Chill Factore in Manchester. Was £100 for a full day so just a bit more expensive than the dryslope near me.

Picked it up really well, I dont have a favourite foot and am comfortable either goofy or regular.

Loved being on the small slope they had :) Off to Val Thorens on Saturday and cannot wait !! :D

Had a bit of trouble with the drag lift but got it in the end. Doubt I'll be using one out there.

Caporegime
Back from Serbia, great little resort, finished with a couple of nice bluebird days.

So nice going somewhere that's not ruined by tourists. When people hear you're English it's "cool, welcome to Serbia!" instead of "oh god another stag do". Lovely people, good food, cheap! About 50 euro for six day pass, 1.50 a pint, 4-5 euros a main meal, 20 euros a night each for an apartment sleeping 5. I would have spent more at home!

Mostly skiers so the powder runs stayed in good condition for a fair while. Has a decent size park, some lovely new heated lifts. If your thing is double blacks it's not for you but there's plenty red/black and off piste for a week.

I always find that stuff funny. The idea that skiers don't go off piste and snowboarders always do.:p

Caporegime
:o are you guys made of money? Their policies are awful compared to other more generic insurers. Can't lie, the dog tag is pretty cool though!

You get what you pay for.

Way too many people will probably find they are underinsured if they look properly at their insurance policy (not just winter sports cover but activities in general). I don't use Dogtag but they aren't far off what I paid with Direct Travel (who are also very good).

Soldato
Just back from a week in Andorra, Pas de la Casa, brilliant skiing! The competition slopes are great fun, Aliga you can fly off the hills and the speed skiing Riberal was awesome! I was on freestyle skis and clocked about 85 mph, could probably reach higher with more appropriate skis, no baggy clothes and being a bit heavier!

Soldato
I'm in bansko right now! (came today). Any recommendations for dinner, and times to get to piste etc? Seems very industrial, looking forward to the slopes tomorrow!

Where are you staying?

Dinner:
Steak House Lazur is a lovely little steak house down the main road about 100 yards from the Hotel Strazhite. I had a cracking mixed skewer there and a mate had a very generously sized mixed grill. The menu isn't apparent what the food comes with (chips/salad etc) so ask when you order. Prices are good too.. I think it was about 70 lev for 2 pints, starters and main?
Trip Advisor Link

The Lions Pub which is directly opposite the Hotel Strazhite is goof for a breakfast too. They also do dinner (evening meals) but we only ever had a bowl of nachos (which was huge) there. A Pint of the local stuff was about 3.5 lev I think.
http://bansko-guide.com/business/the-lions-pub/

The Bar & Grill El Torito is also a very nice place for grub. It's on the right hand side as you walk up the main road from Hotel Strazhite. Similar prices to the Steakhouse and the food is lovely. So nice we eat here twice. The skewers are great and the mixed grill (the bulgarian one) is fab!
It's on the right immediately after the turning to the car park for the supermarket.
Trip Advisor Link

Piste Times: to be honest there really isnt a set time that seems to be the quietest. We were getting to the gondola at about 11 and queuing for about 20mins-30mins to get on. One day however we queued for over 1.5hours! Every man, his dog, his cat and kids were out! Other than that its generally not overly busy. Get there for 9am and I imagine it's quite quiet. We were doing about 1130am to about 6pm when it gets dark out on the slopes.

The Mountain.
My advice is get as high as you possibly can (Todorka chair lift) and hang a right (by the fence) on thw way back down. It'll take you through the trees (small ones first) then into the "forest".Keep going all the way down till you see the next lift station, cant remembe the name sorry, and then you hit the forest. keep going and eventually you will see a sign when youre deep in the trees saying "Slopes" i think pointing left. ;)

Any other questions please fire away :)

Soldato
Where are you staying?

Any other questions please fire away :)

Thanks for the tips. I'm staying in Guinness spa and hotel,its OK however the included finner is pretty naff! And I think it's what gave me food poisoning! (cue me running to the toilets on first lesson...)

I've done the blue run from near very top today (all the way down to the very bottom thru the ski road) and hope to do some/most of the reds by Friday :p

Soldato
How much harder is a red run than a blue run? Currently running blue runs and can link turns etc and snake in and out (snowboarding!) and fancy some of the red runs in bansko.

Would have tried earlier but with gf and she's not as confident on the turns (but fine slowing down /stopping and making some turns on blue). I figure we can do them and slow down if any issues? (got a private lesson so hopefully some good tips!)

Soldato
How long are the runs in Bansko? I did consider it for this year but all the talk of these queues for the gondola put me off.

Kopaonik never had any queues, but the resort is pretty short and sweet, good variety and some good runs, but none particularly long.

What's typical beer/main meal prices like there?

Soldato
How long are the runs in Bansko? I did consider it for this year but all the talk of these queues for the gondola put me off.

Kopaonik never had any queues, but the resort is pretty short and sweet, good variety and some good runs, but none particularly long.

What's typical beer/main meal prices like there?

If I get up for the 8.20am gondola (did today as had lesson at top for 9), will have no queues. At around 9/10am it'll maybe be 40 mins but not too bad imo.
Runs from top maybe an hour or so (after gondola +cable cars) , hard to gauge as I'm with my girlfriend and we have quite frequent breaks. You could go from the very top down the ski Road and it would take at least 2 hours at a fair pace I imagine.

On the slopes in the best on piste bar (180 degrees it's called) It's 20 lev (8quid) for a big pizza, 5 to 10(2 to 4 quid ) for a beer (2.5 lev=~1 quid) . Off piste, a meal will cost 15 to 25 quid for 2 people with beer/drinks. Off piste beer I imagine is about a quid but I've only had a couple on piste

Edit: just got a steak and Mrs got veal for 30lev (~12 quid) a piece (both huuge and tasty)

Last edited:
Soldato
Craig (or whatever ones name is). The red runs are just a bit steeper than the blues in Bansko.
Seriously though. head up to the top on the last two or so days and get on the fresh powder through the trees! If you're linking turns and such you'll be fine and so will the Mrs. very forgiving if you mess up and fall :)

Soldato
Grrr, struggling to find some decent ski pants for 32", preferably short legged, that have vented inner legs. Everyone seems to be out of stock and the default seems to have no vents... Tried on my current pants last week and they're way too long.

Caporegime
Heading to Tinges on the 7th, looks like it's still chucking snow down but pretty grey and gloomy during the day, hope the sun comes out for us arriving. Can't wait!

Heading there this Saturday. Weather looks appauling, I'm guessing it's going to be flat light galore, however there is unlikely to be a shortage of powder!:D

Soldato
Avoriaz for me on the 7th. First time snowboarding after doing the beginner & improver day lessons at the Chill Factore. One concern currently is how to get on and off chairlifts! Been watching plenty of videos on Youtube :p

Soldato
Craig (or whatever ones name is). The red runs are just a bit steeper than the blues in Bansko.
Seriously though. head up to the top on the last two or so days and get on the fresh powder through the trees! If you're linking turns and such you'll be fine and so will the Mrs. very forgiving if you mess up and fall :)

Yeah I went up to the top within the second day to do the blue runs and also did the red run you're talking about which was good!

As Im more confident linking turns on the blues and going at speed on them I found them more fun, but hoping to progress next year with a trip somewhere!

Some pics of bansko, bulgaria (unfortunately I realised I filmed all gopro stuff in 4:3 rather than 16:9 so it looks a bit naff! it was only really to laugh at mine/ the mrs' falls however)

P2270375_zps6cfnxmlm.jpg

P2260139_zpsp8qzvjnl.jpg

P2260244_zpsupttumsw.jpg

P2260328_zpsgd6zujzq.jpg

P2260330_zpsw2tlj1c8.jpg

Avoriaz for me on the 7th. First time snowboarding after doing the beginner & improver day lessons at the Chill Factore. One concern currently is how to get on and off chairlifts! Been watching plenty of videos on Youtube :p

Pomas are far more difficult than chairlifts, just carry your board if you're not too confident boarding in/out of them (what I did all holiday as I didnt see it offering much of a time save)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom