The Snowsports Thread 2014-15

Associate
Heading to Tignes on Friday night for a week. Cant wait!

Though terrible conditions today, it dumped lots last night then started raining this morning and it's very windy! So this has resulted in 16 runs open out of 151 in Espace Killy and nearly all of the lifts closed. Fingers crossed it'll calm down for next week and warm up!

Caporegime
No rain in Tignes today, at least that i noticed. There may have been some rain in Brevieres though, it was pretty warm at 2100. There were about 4 lifts open around 2100 and Val Claret, most low beginner lifts as the wind was horrendus higher up, along with the queues! We were stuck in this area because we couldn't get to any of the other lifts.

Snow quality is stunning at the moment though, powder everywhere (if you can get up the mountain) and it's been snowing continuously all day. Hopefully conditions will get better tomorrow. You're probably going to have great conditions over the weekend! :)

Soldato
Hi,

Just curious, those that have been to Bansko, who did you book with & roughly how much did it cost?

Thanks & Regards

Travel Republic.

About 850 for 2 including flights, hotel (half board... Altho I wouldn't get that as most hotel food in bansko is apparently bad!) and car transfer from airport (£30 for 2 each way).

I would say that's not an incredible price tho and I'm sure you could get cheaper if you shop around a bit.

Caporegime
Well that's my skiing done for the season. :( Hopefully next year I'll be going most weekends though! :D

ArmoVanBuuren hope you have a good time, the snow was great on Friday but with the warm weather I hope it doesn't turn to slush! We had 3 days of snowfall just for you... :p

Soldato
Just got back from Val Thorens last night.. First time away snowboarding. What an brilliant experience.

All the more satisfying when I'm terrified of heights! :D Tackled flying, chairlifts and mountains no problem :D

IMG_1524.jpg

Excuse the hired green helmet :D I'll be getting my own gear for next trip.

IMG_1750.jpg

panovt1024.jpg

La Folie Douce is amazing :D

folie.jpg

Associate
I am so desperate to go skiing again but its looking even less likely now :(
Great Pics of Val T, I loved it last year.

For those of you that do not like heights so much how did you cope?

The Mrs wants to learn and I am planning for next year, but the only issue I see is the chairlifts. She is fine with heights when safe, like a roller coaster but the not strapped in nature of chair lifts might freak her out.

Soldato
Wow, that's crazy busy! Not sure I'd go back to an Alps resort after enjoying Kopaonik and Niseko the last few years. Will stick up some Kopaonik snaps, definitely worth a look.

Associate
Arrived home on Saturday after a week in Tignes, weather was amazing, blue skies and sun every day. Had been snowing heavy prior to our arrival so on piste conditions were excellent. Didn't have any fresh snow through the week not much off piste to be done and no powder days but overall cant complain.

Been to Tignes two years in a row now and loved it. Looking to try somewhere different next year. Second week in March for a group of 6 to 8 hopefully, any recommendations? Been looking at Val T so far. Want somewhere snow sure.

Associate
Second week in March for a group of 6 to 8 hopefully, any recommendations? Been looking at Val T so far. Want somewhere snow sure.

That is nowhere near late in the season, so absolutely no need to go to Val T.

Also, do remember the French alps are further south, and thus a bit warmer that Switzerland or Austria - Around 300m warmer.

My suggestion: Secure flights to Innsbruck, or if that goes expensive Friedrichshaven. Lots of options from there... usually reachable by train, so a comfortable transfer. I'm going to St Anton in 2 weeks from now and have no concern at all about the snow.

Soldato
Following on from my last post. Is there anywhere in Europe you can ski all year round? Or is there anywhere to go towards the end of this year?

I am loving this so far and would love to do it again before the year is out. I did a quick google and the top place was val t, would that be correct?

It would be on piste skiing if that helps with advice.

Soldato
Following on from my last post. Is there anywhere in Europe you can ski all year round? Or is there anywhere to go towards the end of this year?

I am loving this so far and would love to do it again before the year is out. I did a quick google and the top place was val t, would that be correct?

You can ski Zermatt all year round. Restricted to the Theodul glacier, 21km of skiing up to 3,800m and a stunning view of the Matterhorn to boot :D

Me and the lady are just back from 9 days in Banff, Canada. Fantastic time, great snow at Sunshine and a few very good days at Lake Louise.
Love Banff, the size and magnificence of the place still takes my breath away. Oh and no lift queues. :)

Associate

Val T is open until the first week of may.

Various glacier resorts (Les deux Alpes, Tignes, Zermat, Saas Fee, Kaprun, Solden, and more nearly year around, Zermat I think is the only one that still goes all year.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom