*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge Thread ***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Are there any metal/glass unibody phones with a removable battery? I guess compromises have to be made when stepping into this field of "premium build quality".

Soldato
2qassg1.jpg

Soldato
I wish Samsung stuck to the double pulldown :(

I have the S4 and it does have the double pull-down (so assume it is on the S6 too) but it works in a different way. Pull down with one finger for the 'main' pull down menu or swipe down with two fingers and you get the 'extended' menu.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's not the same thing though and it's not as nice by a very very long stretch. I too have had that since the Galaxy S2 I believe :p My Z3 even has that on KitKat but the Z3 version is actually nice and the transition between swipe is slick.

Soldato
This is the first phone that has interested me in a looooooong time, considering I'm still on an iphone 4s! The only question now is to edge or not to edge.

I think my concern is that with the edge being a version of the s6 rather than the being the sole model is if developers will fully utilise the edge facilities.

Soldato
It also carries the advantage that having a dead phone wouldn't result in everything on it being lost, you simply remove the card and still have all your photos/videos.

But you've got them backed up anyway surely, I mean you wouldn't simply trust the SD card, or that the phone won't get lost/stolen?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
But you've got them backed up anyway surely, I mean you wouldn't simply trust the SD card, or that the phone won't get lost/stolen?

Indeed, SD cards aren't completely reliable either and many including myself have had failed SD cards back in the day (32 and 64GB SanDiskGate, anyone?!). I keep a monthly backup of my phone's internal and external storage when I do the monthly PC backup.

Edit*
Questions being asked and fingers being pointed at the inclusion of Smart Tools, an amalgamation of Malware and cleanup tools to put users into a false sense of security?

http://www.androidcentral.com/some-samsungs-galaxy-s6-software-sends-mixed-message-about-performance

Last edited:
Suspended
Indeed, SD cards aren't completely reliable either and many including myself have had failed SD cards back in the day (32 and 64GB SanDiskGate, anyone?!). I keep a monthly backup of my phone's internal and external storage when I do the monthly PC backup.

Edit*
Questions being asked and fingers being pointed at the inclusion of Smart Tools, an amalgamation of Malware and cleanup tools to put users into a false sense of security?

http://www.androidcentral.com/some-samsungs-galaxy-s6-software-sends-mixed-message-about-performance

Or just use DropBox. It syncs all of my S4 photos without me doing anything.

Soldato

I don't regularly back up as none of it is ultimately that important but i've never had an SD card fail, it's just nice to know I can pull the card out if I want it. I've had phones die on me more regularly than cards.

I just don't really see much of a significant reason to remove the function. 4K recording maybe needs ultimate speed that SD can't provide but just limit the function so it can only work to internal memory if it's that critical? Are people really going to be recording in 4K on a phone to the point the design of the phone needs to be compromised to permit it?

Soldato
Try writing a 4k video on the fly to your SD card.....I'll save you time, you can't because it can;t write to it quickly enough.

U WOT M8 :p

4K Mobile Cam Video has a bitrate of ~60Mbps tops. A class 10 sd card can write at minimum of 80Mbps.

Nothing special going on here.

Are there any metal/glass unibody phones with a removable battery? I guess compromises have to be made when stepping into this field of "premium build quality".

Make it like the iPhone 4\4S with screws on the bottom. Can swap out a battery relatively easy then when the battery craps out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do loads of uhd stuff on a 64gb class 10 card with no issues it looks amazing. This is my only real concern due to file size, think you would need a 128gb.

Soldato
Having seen the Xperia Z3 official Lollipop video, I am wondering why Samsung has yet to employ the double pulldown on the notification bar. Even on the S6 the pulldown is classic Samsung which has not changed for several generations of Note and galaxy phone.

Z3-Lollipop.gif

^Sony has gone even more stock Andorid than they did with KitKat and it looks beautiful and all the transition animations while it's happening are there.

I wish Samsung stuck to the double pulldown :(

That is about my only gripe so far with what I've seen of the S6.

Samsung can't make good software, Z3 looks really nice on lollipop.

Soldato
I don't regularly back up as none of it is ultimately that important but i've never had an SD card fail, it's just nice to know I can pull the card out if I want it. I've had phones die on me more regularly than cards.

I just don't really see much of a significant reason to remove the function. 4K recording maybe needs ultimate speed that SD can't provide but just limit the function so it can only work to internal memory if it's that critical? Are people really going to be recording in 4K on a phone to the point the design of the phone needs to be compromised to permit it?

Yeah in fairness it would be nice to have it, and while I see why they can't include a removable battery with this type of design I would have thought they could find somewhere to pop in an SD card.

Personally its a non-issue for me, my current phone is 16GB and while I'd like a little more its generally enough, but it depends on the individual and how you use it.

Back
Top Bottom