Stripped out and tuned up Megane 275 Trophy-R smashes front-wheel drive 'ring record

Soldato
At least you got one thing correct. Do you want to come visit in your hybrid? Get some practice not crashing before you add more power to your current car? ;)

The real thrill about a DC2 (I guess you haven't driven one), or indeed any fwd honda, is the way you can drive it at 10/10th without going backwards into a hedge and torque steer / wheelspin not being a major factor.

:cool:

Soldato
They will probably sell out in the first day or will all be pre-sold.

Some people want a seriously quick and easy to drive quick track/road car, this will do exactly that. :)

Having just seen the amount they intend to make, then yes, they will probably sell the extremely small amount of them they are going to produce.

Soldato
A DC2 would have no benefit from RWD and would be slower in most people's hands. The real thrill about a DC2 (I guess you haven't driven one), or indeed any fwd honda, is the way you can drive it at 10/10th without going backwards into a hedge and torque steer / wheelspin not being a major factor.

The people who recently killed themselves on the road in at least 2 Intergra examples I know of disagree with you. So yeah, if driving with a false sense of impunity as a result of being in a FWD is what you are preaching, have at it.

Let's hope NathWraith does not do a Supra thinking the same of FWD with his new supercharger conversion.

This thread has moved beyond the OP Topic. I still maintain that a £36-£40 grand sporting orientated family hatchback designed for Ring times is a bonkers and ridiculous 'production' vehicle and is, as far as I am concerned, irrelevant outside of the very small minority who want one. An achievement? Yes. Anything else? Nope.

Last edited:
Soldato
The people who recently killed themselves on the road in at least 2 Intergra examples I know of disagree with you. So yeah, if driving with a false sense of impunity as a result of being in a FWD is what you are preaching, have at it.

I don't believe the orientation of the vehicles powertrain has anything to do with that crash TBH. I think it is more to do with the driver being drunk driving an uninsured vehicle whilst over capacity (5 passengers).

Trying to blame it on FWD is laughable and shows you are clutching at straws here.

Let's hope NathWraith does not do a Supra thinking the same of FWD with his new supercharger conversion.

Here we go, I haven't really got any defense for this. Yes I crashed two cars.

If anything those events have guided me towards my current vehicle and driving style. I have learnt far more from my mistakes as a driver from those incidents. I am not ashamed to admit that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't believe the orientation of the vehicles powertrain has anything to do with that crash TBH. I think it is more to do with the driver being drunk driving an uninsured vehicle whilst over capacity (5 passengers).

Trying to blame it on FWD is laughable and shows you are clutching at straws here.

Here we go, I haven't really got any defense for this. Yes I crashed two cars.

If anything those events have guided me towards my current vehicle and driving style. I have learnt far more from my mistakes as a driver from those incidents. I am not ashamed to admit that.

Im just going to ignore him now, he just argues with anything for the sake of it. Now we have the fact a dc2 killed people recently making out fwd is unsafe. Have you not read s2ki lately Sin Face? theres been a few stories of s2000s crashing and killing the driver.

Not sure why he is now talking about car control. I know many of us have the ability to control things in life including driving and what we eat. This is the guy who took 6 months off work to lose weight in Thailand, so maybe he has a self control issue hence why he lives somewhere with a 35mph (or 40,seems to change every thread) speedlimit.

Just sayin.

Soldato
FWD can be bad when you lose the back end. Same with RWD. If you break the level of grip and limit of the car, you'll go crashing no matter what unless you're skilled enough to bring it back. It also depends on many factors etc...

OcUK Staff
FWD can be bad when you lose the back end. Same with RWD. If you break the level of grip and limit of the car, you'll go crashing no matter what unless you're skilled enough to bring it back. It also depends on many factors etc...

Not really with these, of course you can't be an idiot and trying turning into a 60mph corner at 90mph, you will crash in any car.

But these diff equipped and E-Diff FWD cars, are very easy to drive right on the limit, beyond and around it, make use of the diff and turn the stability systems off, keep your foot in it. :)

Not like the FWD hatches of old, 306 GTI-6 comes to mind with its very nasty snap oversteer near the limit.

Said it before Renault have done a great job with the chassis to be so quick and yet so easy to extract that performance from it without the car wanting to kill you at every corner. FWD, 4WD, RWD they can all be just as a dangerous depending on the chassis setup and of course the pilot, but typically you can be more of a noob and aggressive in FWD/4WD compared to RWD. Modern RWD's are no longer the widow makers they once could be though due to electronics and differentials, but at the same time RWD does need more discipline over the loud pedal and when to use it compared to FWD/4WD. :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Thought I would bump this rather than starting a new thread.

Honda just posted this:

Renaultsport Megane 275R: 7 minutes, 54.36 seconds
Honda Civic Type R Development Car: 7 minutes, 50.63 seconds.

Still impressive and beating laptimes of a lot of expensive stuff.

Would be interesting to see what a production car can do.

Back
Top Bottom