• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FreeSync(TM) - Q&A with Shane Parfitt, Technology Manager AMD

Soldato
Matt

My questions are simple and probably what most shall ask:

1. Will the driver on the 19th be on time and will it be BETA or WHQL?
2. When will Crossfire support be added?
3. What is the possibly AMD will give a BETA early driver for OcUK to host for our customers to download so they can enjoy FREESYNC NOW?
4. Will the 144Hz AMD driver bug be fixed, 120Hz works fine, 144Hz is like a disco light flicker show?

The questions i was going to be asking were pretty much these. Another 2 weeks waiting for a driver IMO is just too long, will be approaching 4 month without a driver update by that point.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Please stick the infinity branding on that mystery monitor Gibbo ;)

No not possible as we'd have take a few million value wise and on one product we can't do that. So finished product will be available world wide but as already mentioned OcUK is always ahead on monitors and this will be no different. :)

Soldato
Two questions:

1. Will Freesync work with older cards? I have an old HD 6850 ready for a second PC and knowing that I could use it with Freesync would be most useful in respect of future purchases.

2. (Perhaps cheeky) Can Nvidia cards work with Freesync? Presumably after a driver revision, of course. Or is there a hardware incompatibility?

Soldato
Two questions:

1. Will Freesync work with older cards? I have an old HD 6850 ready for a second PC and knowing that I could use it with Freesync would be most useful in respect of future purchases.

2. (Perhaps cheeky) Can Nvidia cards work with Freesync? Presumably after a driver revision, of course. Or is there a hardware incompatibility?

I think the answer to 1 is likely going to be 'no', at least for gaming. According to the FAQ it would be R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R9 285, R7 260X and R7 260 or of course a GPU that would be required.

I love question number 2. I don't think there is anything specific stopping Nvidia taking advantage of Adaptive-Sync on the hardware side - except themselves. They have invested so much time and effort in G-SYNC that they are unlikely to support it, at least for the time being.

Caporegime
Why are AMD not interested in giving a FreeSync compatible GPU to somebody who can give the technology and monitors using it a thorough testing? I have a large following of people ready to part with cash and waiting for me to review these things, but AMD don't seem in the least interested in providing me with the means to do so.

That's appalling imo. AMD are massively lagging behind in mind/marketshare and should be doing all they can to promote their technologies. This is probably part of the problem, apathy.

This isn't Matt's fault obviously, more endemic of the culture inside AMD (again, numbers don't lie).

Damn, damn shame. I really used to love ATi, and I quite like AMD (although their CPU's are **** ;))

edit - Same goes for their driver releases of late, does nothing but **** off us enthusiasts (which we know, are the very grassroots of the tech community. For instance I must have 30+ people who ask me for advice on a regular basis)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
PCM2 - have you spoken to AMD PR? Message me in trust if not and we can chat.

Gonna post here too, but PCM2 I'm not sure who you might've spoken to - drop me a note in trust or tweet me @iainbristow and we can have a chat.

That's appalling imo. AMD are massively lagging behind in mind/marketshare and should be doing all they can to promote their technologies. This is probably part of the problem, apathy.

This isn't Matt's fault obviously, more endemic of the culture inside AMD (again, numbers don't lie).

:)

Caporegime
I'll keep it on tiopic, fresync is something I'll be looking forward to on my next monitor. For the meantime I'll just have to have the gpu-power to keep above 60fps ;) :D

edit - On a sidenote, I really think AMD are gonna reallllllly start getting it together this next couple of years and show what they're really capable of ;) Technically they are superb tbh

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd just like to say a big thank you to -VK- (Iain) and co. for getting things on track.

AMD do care after all, it's just that I hadn't managed to get through to the right people. If AMD made monitors I would probably have known who to turn to straight away. ;)

I look forward to testing out this very exciting technology. :)

Back
Top Bottom