New credit/charge card- Which one?

Associate
So the first year of having a free gold Amex card just expired and there's no way I'm paying £125 for the next year. Spoke to their retentions team and they didn't offer me anything substantial, so I cancelled.

Do you guys have any recommendations for another card to use? I have a current account with Lloyds and a Tesco credit card at the moment. Balance will always be paid in full, as it has been for the past 5 years+, so it's simply a case of the best rewards for spending really.

Thoughts? :)

Caporegime
Depends what you're using it for, i'm guessing if you're paying it in full every month you'll be using it for fuel, food shopping and the likes?

The 123 card from Santander is pretty good, cashback for the regular monthly expenditure. The way I look at it is, i'd be buying these things anyway so may as well get some cashback on them. Just got to make sure you pay it off in full and you can't lose.

Man of Honour
So the first year of having a free gold Amex card just expired and there's no way I'm paying £125 for the next year. Spoke to their retentions team and they didn't offer me anything substantial, so I cancelled.

Do you guys have any recommendations for another card to use?

Amex Platinum Cashback card. Free for the first year, 5% for first 3 months. Then next year back to the Gold Chargecard again.

Soldato
Cash back credit cards is the way forward if you pay it all off every month...
I have a co-op (excellent customer service always) credit card for everyday buys which I pay off every month.

I think between all my co-op accounts I made about 70 pounds from them last year.. not bad for free money.

I also have a sainsbury one that is 18 months interest free which I purchase large/expensive items on, and that allows me to chip in to it. :)

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;27741990 said:
Amex Platinum Cashback card. Free for the first year, 5% for first 3 months. Then next year back to the Gold Chargecard again.

yeah the platinum credit card is probably a good call, they also have a BA credit card which doesn't have an annual fee

Soldato
If you have someone, refer your partner for the Gold card and take advantage of the first year bonuses again. Flip it back in a years time.

Caporegime
The Tesco credit card was always good for us when we were in the UK, used it for shopping and fuel from Tesco and got so many points on it the clubcard paid for loads of things. Pet insurance, house insurance, breakdown cover, a few trips to Alton Towers. Quite worth it really.

Caporegime
I have the Tesco and Amex platinum
The Tesco got tesco and what I don't put on the Amex

Amex have best CS I seen from a financial institution

Man of Honour
[FnG]magnolia;27742842 said:
Not sure I'd be recommending an Amex card for a UK resident when the two other Schemes have far more compelling offers and acceptability.

The Amex offers are the most compelling of any credit/charge card in the UK market :confused:

Nobody else offers 5% cashback for 3 months?

Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;27742842 said:
Not sure I'd be recommending an Amex card for a UK resident when the two other Schemes have far more compelling offers and acceptability.

Which two other schemes? Am interested in a comparison if you know - like what the points are worth or % cash back offered etc... Like is a Tesco one better value in general or just when shopping at Tesco etc...

AMEX certainly seems to win it for the first three months whether with bonus points on the charge card or that 5% cash back on the credit card.

Associate
I use a Santander 123 (£24pa) for 3/2/1% back on Fuel, Department stores and supermarkets respectively. Then I use an RBS cashback card (£0pa) for 0.5% on everything else

Associate
[TW]Fox;27744005 said:
Provided you have not held an Amex Chargecard for 6 months before applying again, yes.

Excellent. Mine is about to expire so I shall go elsewhere for a while and then return! Cheers.

Soldato
Yeah I've come across quite a few places that won't accept Amex - some not even small retailers (e.g. the AA). You always need a VISA alternative if you've got one in the UK.

Soldato
yeah the platinum credit card is probably a good call, they also have a BA credit card which doesn't have an annual fee

this is exactly what i had done. got a gold card for a year and cancelled today as i didnt want to pay. then replaced with a ba card. Might try the platinum deal though!

edit.

Actually i can't find fore mentioned Platinum deal

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom