Apple 'Spring Forward' Event 09/03/2015

Soldato
OP
The problem is that I can't imagine that being convenient unless you're 110% based around wireless technologies. Charge/USB drive/external display/whatever else all at once...not with ease (I have no idea whether this would be supported).

I'd still be recommending a MacBook Air or rMBP for the majority, though of course an extremely small MacBook of course does have its uses (and that display - potential photographers portable paradise for quick edits and imports).

They were careful to say 'reinvent the notebook' in describing the device; I'd still want an rMBP - it's just having seen the the design innovations in the new Macbook I'd not want to get one now until the design is updated accordingly (which it is due for).

Last edited:
Soldato
Was someone drunk at the design stage of the new Macbook when they decided on only one USB-C socket?? :confused:
Seriously!? There's only one USB port and it's type C........... ????

So effectively there are no USB ports because who the heck has USB-C port cables.

I keep the last version MBP air in my drawer as work as a spare in case my rMBP is having a bad day. The connectivity on that one is bad enough, never mind there only being 1 USB-C socket now lol.. What are Apple doing

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Torn on the Macbook. Desperately want the screen (on an 11" air atm) but don't want the port compromise. Power wise would probably be similar to my current with better video which is the only area it struggles when connected to a high res monitor. Hm.

Soldato
Seriously!? There's only one USB port and it's type C........... ????

So effectively there are no USB ports because who the heck has USB-C port cables.

I keep the last version MBP air in my drawer as work as a spare in case my rMBP is having a bad day. The connectivity on that one is bad enough, never mind there only being 1 USB-C socket now lol.. What are Apple doing

You'll need to carry around a bunch of adapters. Eventually USB-C will be everywhere, but we are talking a couple of years until that happens.

My main issue is not being able to charge it whilst having a peripheral plugged in.

No SD card slot either, Jeeeesus. Such frustrating design choices, making me rage slightly.

Soldato
While the new 12" Retina MacBook seems nice, I think I prefer the design of the Retina MacBook Pro's. Now that the 13" Retina MacBook Pro has been updated with Broadwell processors, which will improve battery life, and also has the new Force Touch trackpad, the 13" Retina MacBook Pro seems like an awesome purchase.

Soldato
Was someone drunk at the design stage of the new Macbook when they decided on only one USB-C socket?? :confused:
It's aimed at somebody who needs an ultra-portable machine and virtually never requires any other form of external expansion. From that perspective, USB-C makes sense as a compromise to cut down the size - an adaptor is £15. An inconvenience, but the idea is that you won't really need it anyway.

There's a separate port for charging (I think I saw a headphone jack too). They were careful to say 'reinvent the notebook' in describing the device.
Nope, it's the same port. USB C on the left for all wired connectivity and charging, and a headphone jack on the right (almost certainly a combo mic/headphone jobby).

Yes I'd still want an rMBP - it's just having seen the the design innovations in the new Macbook I'd not want to get one now until the design is updated accordingly (which it is due for).
Agreed. How Apple will do this is unknown really, the Air's position in the line-up could be argued to be a little...squashed. I do hope they keep it though, as many do prefer the form factor enough over the rMBP. It is their best selling machine after all.

To be honest, I think it'd have made more sense for them to have made the machine closer to the Air, with slightly better I/O options and longer battery life. Essentially, make it slightly thicker.

Same of course can be said for the iPhone 6...

Last edited:
Soldato
As good looking as the MacBook is, as well as having that screen, it'll be a downgrade for me. For everything my 2013 Air does, it does it very well, but I also don't need (and don't want) a stupid adapter just to use a USB stick.

Soldato
You'll need to carry around a bunch of adapters. Eventually USB-C will be everywhere, but we are talking a couple of years until that happens.

My main issue is not being able to charge it whilst having a peripheral plugged in.

I'm sure there is some way you can you use peripherals when charging with some kind of adapter. Wouldn't be too bad if you can get a multi-functional adapter, but if you have to buy a separate for each function at £20 a pop, it could be painful.

Soldato
I'm sure there is some way you can you use peripherals when charging with some kind of adapter. Wouldn't be too bad if you can get a multi-functional adapter, but if you have to buy a separate for each function at £20 a pop, it could be painful.

£65 for the USB-C, HDMI + USB3.1 adapter.

Soldato
OP
It's aimed at somebody who needs an ultra-portable machine and virtually never requires any other form of external expansion. From that perspective, USB-C makes sense as a compromise to cut down the size - an adaptor is £15. An inconvenience, but the idea is that you won't really need it anyway.

Nope, it's the same port. USB C on the left for all wired connectivity and charging, and a headphone jack on the right (almost certainly a combo mic/headphone jobby).

Agreed. How Apple will do this is unknown really, the Air's position in the line-up could be argued to be a little...squashed. I do hope they keep it though, as many do prefer the form factor enough over the rMBP. It is their best selling machine after all.

I always thought they'd eventually merge the Air and Pro back together to one product line - when they released the Air there was a significant difference in size/weight between the two, SSDs etc but now the rMBP sort of encroaches into a lot of the same territory.

Soldato
I always thought they'd eventually merge the Air and Pro back together to one product line - when they released the Air there was a significant difference in size/weight between the two, SSDs etc but now the rMBP sort of encroaches into a lot of the same territory.

True. Thing is that now the Air has TB2, they're very similar machines - similar performance, similar I/O (HDMI on the rMBP) etc. I'd personally prefer to see it go towards the Air, and have the rMBP only available as a 15" model, and to be honest I'm betting most would agree.

Associate
I currently use a 15" rMBP but I can easily see how the new MacBook would work for a lot of my friends.
As a student, I take my laptop with my all day everyday and 80% of the time it is only used for web browsing and typing. Everywhere on campus is wireless and I use a Magic Mouse when needed and bluetooth speakers. All of my photos are synced over the cloud as are any notes or any documents I produce on my iPad. I rarely plug things into my MBP so I don't see the lack of peripheral ports an issue.
I could probably see a market for it alongside having a rMBP for when a more portable machine is needed. It is less than half the weight and significantly smaller!

Back
Top Bottom