Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
I have baseflight on the quad and clean flight on the tri, I actually have the Bluetooth adaptor and have used it on the tri copter. I should really reflash the quad.

Do it - CF now has 5 or 6 different PID controllers. I'd recommend looking at candidates 3 and 5 probably. 3 is a port of multiwii 2.3 and 5 is from the Harakiri firmware. Both are substantially better and easier to tune than the original one!

Soldato
I will flash it tomorrow and have a bash at tuning.

Just had it out quickly and took another fall, the esc restarted again when watching the video back, maybe something I need to keep an eye on. I would hate to have to strip it all down and rewire the frame though it would give me a chance to clean all of the grass cuttings away!

Soldato
Fitted the ESCs, one is fine, checked motor, fine

The other, the motor is hesitant and dont want to spin, sort of tries to but dont

Swap the wires round, it spins in the other direction

What the

So now dont know if I have a duff motor, or if the ESC I just bought is duff

Associate
If it's not soldered, I'd try it on one of the other ESC's and see if it works ok there. Was this motor connected to the esc that let out the magic smoke?

Soldato
If it's not soldered, I'd try it on one of the other ESC's and see if it works ok there. Was this motor connected to the esc that let out the magic smoke?

Possibly, I dont know

My other escs are all soldered, would mean desoldering just to test

Iv just soldered this one on properly and still the same, even when you swap the motor wires around now its hesitant going the other way too

I highly doubt a new ESC would be dead, likely to be the motor if anything, especially since my mishap

This is deffo an intermittant issue, im using the motor test in baseflight now for motor1, sometimes it spins, sometimes its hesitant, however hesitant moreso

Just going to have to bite the bullet again and use my card

Last edited:
Associate
Before you go splashing more cash......

Does the motor spin freely without power?

There isn't a random long mounting screw poking up and touching the windings inside the motor?

Have you tried calibrating the esc?

Soldato
Before you go splashing more cash......

Does the motor spin freely without power?

There isn't a random long mounting screw poking up and touching the windings inside the motor?

Have you tried calibrating the esc?

The motors buggered

In spins freely yep, no mounting screw poking up, ESCs were calibrated loads of times.

This is clearly some electrical issue also one of the wires in to the motor felt a little loose, as when I was softly moving the wires going in to the motor, it would sometimes stop or cut out, then start jolting again, so maybe the wiring inside is not so great inside, then it stopped working completely, so looks like I finished it off anyway

I will buy a new motor, if it works (probably likely) then great, if it doesnt, then I will ask for a refund or replacement on the ESC that I recieved today, and send it back as faulty

Not a lot I can do now

Last edited:
Soldato
so I got up this morning and being my first day off in 2 weeks pulled the curtains back all blurry eyed to be greeted with a windless day as calm as could be, great news I hear you say? Well no, its raining, the ground is as damp as could be and I have never hated English weather so much :/

Flitetest have upped a great video with charpu today, that bloke is one hell of a pilot. Seriously in awe of some of his stuff.

Soldato
I'm working on a metal lipo bunker.

Vertical standing
2 abreast, 3 a row
All metal construction from 4mm steel so it's heavy and if the bad event happens will protect everything
Self extinguishing via a container of play sand
Powder coated so looks the part
Charger and PSU mounting
Rubber feet
Smoke alarm mount
Handel's

Each lipo sits in a bunker of it's own. Will be box section vertically 80x80x250x4mm. This is welded to a 4mm sheet of steel. Just waiting for some 6s measurements. There is a cut out for the cables too pass through. Very small cut out for the cables.

Across the top of each column will be a plate/container that's sandwiched a sheet of polythene sheet. Above this will be the play sand.

The theory is if a lipo goes up the fire will only go vertically and melt the plastic, this allows the sand to flow and extinguish the fire.

I did a quick doodle of the idea

Petes%20Lipo%20Bunker_zpsyhgyiu9c.jpg

I always thought suspended over a metal bucket of fire retardant foam by a string - strong enough to take the weight yet thin enough to burn through almost instantly, located in a concrete bunker at the bottom of the garden was the best option. :D

Back
Top Bottom