Mountain bike up to £1000

Soldato
OP
You sure you don't want a Bird Zero.1 with a RockShox Revelation fork? ;)

If you can find me this on the cycle to work scheme for £1000 then yes.

Is Shimano XT better or worse than Shimano SLX?

Also where does Shimano Deore and Shimano Shadow come on the list? better or worse

Caporegime
Deore, SLX, XT.

The Trek is awful compared to the Bird and On One. Bird don't do cycle to work scheme do they?

The On One if you need to use the vouchers is easily the best deal here IMO. Spend the extra for a dropper and pikes and you've got a bike that'll last for a long long time.

Though I can't see the weight difference between the carbon and steel? I'd probably go steel, I bet it rides nicer.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can you even get the Pikes on the On-one? Edit - I see you can on the 456 carbon. Is a 26" wheel better/worse than 29"?

With the standard forks its £999 anyway. Plus dropper, shoes, clips and helmet its way more than £1000

Last edited:
Caporegime
The revs are great anyway, just an extra £100 seems a bargain.

You don't NEED a dropper either, there just awesome and you could add it at a later date. £150 is a good price though is all.

Soldato
OP
Would I really notice the difference between the Trek for £850 and the On-one for £999+£250 on extras? (plus On-one take £100 off anyway)

Caporegime
Probably not within the first few months. But if you do become interested in the sport you'll want more travel, better forks and a nicer frame quite quickly.

It depends what your riding too, if your just going about the streets or on bridelways etc then the trek is fine. Without the extras it's still better than the trek.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I'm going to head to a Planet X store tomorrow and see what they have in / say

I will be riding in the peaks, sherwood pines, dalby forest and maybe some bridelways

Soldato
OP
I've got an invoice for the 456 evo carbon x9 with pikes, shimano trails pedals and Agu Torquay shoes. Now just to wait a week or 2 to sort voucher etc. having to pay £240 plus the voucher.
Pricing up the pikes, x9 groupset and frame comes to around £1200 alone from what i can see

Caporegime
Yep, total bargain I think. Seen the steel frames in the flesh, but never ridden. I think I would've went with the steel frame but regardless you have some better components than me and I paid £1600!

Have fun :)

Soldato
OP
I haven't actually bought it yet. Do you think I should ignore review like this - http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...product/review-on-one-carbon-456-x9-12-46042/

All the other individual reviews say it rides great (the one or two I have found) and a few people saying things like bike radar and mtb.co.uk would give a Specialized bike a 5 star review even if the bike was made of cheese :D

That said, I shouldn't overlook the above review as i'm spending ~£1200

Caporegime
It's the reason I would've went steel, but you won't notice the difference. I've been riding for a while now and I wouldn't notice the difference.

I wouldn't read much into it, a full bike with pikes and dropper for that price is great and i'll last your riding for at least a few years if you ever want to upgrade (you will ;) )

Soldato
OP
It's the reason I would've went steel, but you won't notice the difference. I've been riding for a while now and I wouldn't notice the difference.

I wouldn't read much into it, a full bike with pikes and dropper for that price is great and i'll last your riding for at least a few years if you ever want to upgrade (you will ;) )

Some people are saying carbon has more spring, others titanium and others steel so not sure what to believe. As you say i would notice the difference between the 3 i dont think. Is carbon more likely to break if i crash though? That would be my only concern really

It didnt include the dropper - that was another £150. I saw it online for £170 anyway so i could get one in the future

Soldato
In terms of springiness to not suppleness in a hardtail, from most supple to least:

TI > Steel > Alu > Carbonz

You won't notice it though, so don't worry a bout it. You can't categorically say that carbon is more or less likely to break, all depends on how well its made ... again, you have nothing to worry about.

Just ge the dropper though ;)

Soldato
OP
What is the idea behind the dropper - That you have it in a set position (up) when going on flat and up hills then press a button and it drops down when going down hill - then press again when flat

Soldato
Yes, infinitely helpful. It's been one of the advancements that have truly made the biggest difference in many years.
For most people, these day - the thought of not having one is unthinkable.

Back
Top Bottom