Jeans - Branded vs cheap

Associate
Personally I'm a Levi's fan, I'm a bit of a brand snob in this regard as I'll only where them and no other brand.

It could be a subconscious thing to justify the expense but I've always found they just fit better, however I am a great believer in no one brand fits all. I mean we're all different shapes and sizes so surely we can't all fit nicely into the same/brand cut?

Man of Honour
I tend to buy Crosshatch as "everyday" jeans but have a couple of more expensive pairs.

Can't recall ever wearing a pair out although the Diesel and FCUK pairs I have are marginally more comfortable

Soldato
I've got a pair of Sainsburys' jeans, if memory serves they cost about £12, and they're the comfiest pair I own. Owned them for about a year now and wear them regularly, as of yet there's no sign of wear and tear.

Commissario
I pray that nobody on here over 40 is wearing blue jeans.
I'll bite because I'm over 40. Why shouldn't I wear my blue jeans?

feeks-jeans-20150315-210109.jpg

(love the Levi's factory outlet)

Associate
I'll bite because I'm over 40. Why shouldn't I wear my blue jeans?

feeks-jeans-20150315-210109.jpg

(love the Levi's factory outlet)

It's not a hanging offence just my opinion.

Black are fine but blue just looks too young on an over 40 I think.
Clarkson never wears anything else - I rest my case.

Associate
I'm a big Wranglers wearer and cannot recommend the quality enough. They just last. Worst damage I've had with my 5ish year old pair is one of the belt loops needed restitching. Have tried some £4 ones from Matalan before that were a state after a couple of months.

Soldato
When I was in the US last year, I bought two pairs of 501 for $35 each :p The price is simply marked up in the UK because they can

Fashion market is completely different in America. Things like cost of freight from Asia and real estate prices mean they are probably achieving similar markup as in Europe while selling 5x as many pairs.

Levi's US and EU are actually different companies. They market themselves as higher-end in Europe to align with the Scandi brands rather than the lower-tier like Asos/Topman, and they do it pretty successfully. In the US they sit alongside Lee/Wrangler, their market for higher-end like PRPS, J Brand etc. is growing but tiny compared to Levi's.

Also it sounds like you got a sale line that will be a wash or fit not being continued to the next season. The current season 501 are still $60-80.

The Vintage 501s are their top line and really as good as any denim you can get. Their new customised and tapered fit is definitely worth a look.

Soldato
It's not a hanging offence just my opinion.

Black are fine but blue just looks too young on an over 40 I think.
Clarkson never wears anything else - I rest my case.

He actually damaged the brand rep of Levi's a bit over here. And no I'm not even joking :o

Soldato
When I was in the US last year, I bought two pairs of 501 for $35 each :p The price is simply marked up in the UK because they can

Going back a few years now, didn't tesco or asda get into bother because they were selling levis at something silly like £15 a pair, massively undercutting other retailers.
Just goes to show the mark up on them.

Soldato
Going back a few years now, didn't tesco or asda get into bother because they were selling levis at something silly like £15 a pair, massively undercutting other retailers.
Just goes to show the mark up on them.

There is not that much markup on them for 'proper' retailers.

All the big supermarket chains were buying grey market and selling at ridiculously low prices. Essentially leftovers/cancellations/rejects were being wholesaled by manufacturers into the EU and then wholesaled again to the UK's supermarkets with both making comparatively tiny profits.

You'll notice that it doesn't happen nowadays with most lux brands having a tighter grip on their stock.

Man of Honour
I'm a big fan of Levi's, I like the fit, they seem to last ok. I buy a couple of new pairs every year for $39.99 each so they are not particularly expensive provided you have the opportunity to buy them outside of the UK.

Man of Honour
Ignore the brand. Find a pair that fit you well and go with those, whatever the brand is.

Also a Levis person here but I tend to get them for £50ish when they are on sale. I wouldn't buy them for £80.

Associate
As a student, Smith & Jones does wonders for me. Managed to get 2 pairs for £30 :D can't really complain about the colour or style or anything.

Then I bought another for £20 (can't remember the brand..)

On the search for a nice jet black pair of jeans now :)

Back
Top Bottom