Your current Fish tank Setups!

Caporegime
Hi guys,

Hoping you can help with a few problems. I have got a 19l Fluval Chi fish tank. With 2 small fish (sorry totally forgot what breed they are).

Find out what they are, or post a picture.

Also the water is evaporating fast! The tank is below a small kitchen window which doesnt get direct sunlight but i must be putting in a pint of water every few days.

Doesn't sound anything much outside of the norm.

Can a pump be too powerful?

Yes, as in surplus to requirements. It depends on the fish you have; some like highly oxygenated, fast flowing waters (e.g. bristlenose plecs / ottos), while others don't. A filter that turns over 1200 litres / per hour is way, way more than necessary when you only have around 5 gallons to consider.

New gravel? Very stupid question but does gravel size matter? Have quite big sized stones at the minute.

It can do. Certain types of gravel / substrate will be better suited for some plants and fish than others will. If, for example, you have catfish, then sharp, rough stones can damage their barbels.

Also i read a lot about treating the water. This is something i haven't done for the fish yet. Worried they're not happy.

As said, definitely buy a kit which tests for ammonia / nitrite / nitrate / pH / GH and KH.

Last edited:
Soldato
Find out what they are, or post a picture.

kCkDZwkl.jpg

ocvbwJfl.jpg

Sorry about the quality, wouldn't stay still.

Yes, as in surplus to requirements. It depends on the fish you have; some like highly oxygenated, fast flowing waters (e.g. bristlenose plecs / ottos), while others don't. A filter that turns over 1200 litres / per hour is way, way more than necessary when you only have around 5 gallons to consider.

Right so it's probably worth getting something which i can change the speed. I was thinking of getting these two together.

Pump.

Filter.

Problem is i live in a flat with the kitchen right next to the sofa so i need something quiet.

As said, definitely buy a kit which tests for ammonia / nitrite / nitrate / pH / GH and KH.

Like a fresh waster master test kit or is this over kill for my tank?

Thanks for the reply :)

Soldato
kCkDZwkl.jpg

ocvbwJfl.jpg

Right so it's probably worth getting something which i can change the speed. I was thinking of getting these two together.

Pump.

Filter.

Problem is i live in a flat with the kitchen right next to the sofa so i need something quiet.

Like a fresh waster master test kit or is this over kill for my tank?

Thanks for the reply :)

Id seriously consider a better filter, Fluval u series are good and very very quiet

Caporegime

Okay, so you have a platy and a white cloud mountain minnow. Both should be in a shoal, not added as single individuals like this, though having said that, your tank isn't big enough for one reasonably sized shoal imo, let alone two. Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?

Here is a little information on these types of fish :

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/platies.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/cypriniiforms.htm

Personally, I'd pop into a local fish store like Maidenhead Aquatics (is there one near you?), and ask them about filters. They should have something just right to fit the requirements of your tank. An air pump helps to create a nice effect (& oxygenate the water), though you might not need to start off with one - a filter may be more than adequate. See what they say.

is this over kill for my tank?

I did until fairly recently use an API testing kit, though someone on here informed me that they aren't much good. I looked into this, and it would seem that they are 'ok' at best for the casual hobbyist, though brands like seachem or salifert are much, much more highly regarded. I have since switched to those ones.

I use this place for my online needs at present :

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/

Last edited:
Soldato

You have a Fluval Chi, the Chi comes with everything required to run the tank except a heater. The chi is all about modern integrated design.

Why would you change the pump? The Chi's pump and filter are more than adequate to service the tank and if you have a problem with it you need to get a replacement from Fluval. The design of the tank does not really allow for any of that system to be changed. Also everything you linked is cheap ****.

The only problem I can see your actually having is evaporation. Buy the lid for the tank and just have a bottle of de-chlorinated water ready to go and top up as needed.

To de-chlorinate water I would normally recommend Seachem Prime but in this case as you only have a 19L tank something like the Tetra Aqua Safe would be a better product as it is less concentrated, thus easier to manage for the water volume.

Your gravel is fine, just make sure you vacuum it at water changes with a small syphon hose. Other than water changes and a quick filter rinse the tank requires minimal maintenance.

Caporegime
Cheers Rob will take a look.

So, had a new tropical tank up and running for a couple of weeks, done two 50%+ water changes. At the moment the Ammonia is below 0.50, Nitrite looks about 0.25-0.50, Nitrate is Hiiiiiiiiiiiiigh (red) - Should I be doing more frequent water changes in everyones opinion for the next few weeks? (we should really get this stickied at the top of the thread/op or something.)

I'm tempted to do another (at least 25%) change today but I'm not sure as surely I want certain things to build up?

temp is also a steady 25c

Anyone? :)

Soldato
Okay, so you have a platy and a white cloud mountain minnow. Both should be in a shoal, not added as single individuals like this, though having said that, your tank isn't big enough for one reasonably sized shoal imo, let alone two. Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?

Here is a little information on these types of fish :

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/platies.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/cypriniiforms.htm

Not properly no. The tank was bought way, way before i found this thread and read anything about cycling. I'm a bit disappointed about the fish having to be in a shoal. I got them two from pets at home and the 'fish guy' told me i should have one of each of these for my tank as they will get on :confused:. I am seriously considering getting a bigger tank and doing this whole thing properly.

I did until fairly recently use an API testing kit, though someone on here informed me that they aren't much good. I looked into this, and it would seem that they are 'ok' at best for the casual hobbyist, though brands like seachem or salifert are much, much more highly regarded. I have since switched to those ones.

I use this place for my online needs at present :

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/

Thanks will have a browse on here.

You have a Fluval Chi, the Chi comes with everything required to run the tank except a heater. The chi is all about modern integrated design.

Why would you change the pump? The Chi's pump and filter are more than adequate to service the tank and if you have a problem with it you need to get a replacement from Fluval. The design of the tank does not really allow for any of that system to be changed. Also everything you linked is cheap ****.

The pump no longer works and although i don't really know much about keeping fish properly it looked to do a bit of a **** job. So instead of paying £40 to replace it i would keep it just for the LED and stick a new filter behind it. If i stick to the Fluval U series like Unicorn mentioned i should be okay?

The only problem I can see your actually having is evaporation. Buy the lid for the tank and just have a bottle of de-chlorinated water ready to go and top up as needed.

To de-chlorinate water I would normally recommend Seachem Prime but in this case as you only have a 19L tank something like the Tetra Aqua Safe would be a better product as it is less concentrated, thus easier to manage for the water volume.

Your gravel is fine, just make sure you vacuum it at water changes with a small syphon hose. Other than water changes and a quick filter rinse the tank requires minimal maintenance.

Thanks a lot for this. Will get looking around now!

Soldato
So, had a new tropical tank up and running for a couple of weeks, done two 50%+ water changes. At the moment the Ammonia is below 0.50, Nitrite looks about 0.25-0.50, Nitrate is Hiiiiiiiiiiiiigh (red) - Should I be doing more frequent water changes in everyones opinion for the next few weeks? (we should really get this stickied at the top of the thread/op or something.)

I'm tempted to do another (at least 25%) change today but I'm not sure as surely I want certain things to build up? temp is also a steady 25c

I would say persevere, it sounds like you're possibly getting to the end of your cycle. I find nitrates typically spike before levelling off but to help this you could do some 25% changes as you suggested but I would test your tap water first as this could be the cause of your issue.

You can also get nitrate reducing filter elements (Fluval due them but name escapes me) but I never like doing this as, with carbon for removing medication after treatment, removing filter elements can be a bit of a pain if there are other better ways.

If you have access to RO water (reverse osmosis) then I would personally do a 25% change and give it a couple days and test again.

In summary - test your tap water, if that seems reasonable for nitrate then do 25% changes every day or if you have access to RO then do a 25% (or more) change with that instead and give it a couple of days and test again. That’s what I would do personally.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not properly no. The tank was bought way, way before i found this thread and read anything about cycling. I'm a bit disappointed about the fish having to be in a shoal. I got them two from pets at home and the 'fish guy' told me i should have one of each of these for my tank as they will get on :confused:. I am seriously considering getting a bigger tank and doing this whole thing properly.

Although I would be happy enough to buy stock from P@H (as far as I know anyway), I would never seek advice from there. However, in terms of compatibility, yes, what he said was true, they will get on fine, though water parameters can be somewhat different.

If one was to keep a shoal of say five or six of each in a 20 gallon tank, then slightly hard, alkaline water would be best. Although white cloud minnows can do fine in a pH of less than 7.0, platies are much better suited to harder, alkaline conditions. In fact, you tend to find that soft water fish can sometimes adapt quite well to harder water, where as the reverse isn't as often the case. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would say persevere, it sounds like you're possibly getting to the end of your cycle. I find nitrates typically spike before levelling off but to help this you could do 25% changes every day but you might also want to test your tap water first as this could be the cause of the issue.

If you have access to RO water (reverse osmosis) then I would personally do a 25% change and give it a couple days and test again.

You can also get nitrate reducing filter elements (Fluval due them but name escapes me) but I never like doing this as with carbon for removing medication after treatment, removing filter elements can be a bit of a pain if there are other ways.

Test your tap water, if that seems reasonable for nitrate then do 25% changes every other day or if you have access to RO then do a 25% (or more) change with that instead and give it a couple of days. That’s what I would do personally.

Hi bud

Saying that I tested my tap water the other day - Ammonia is pretty low, Nitrites are good, Nitrates are low-medium from recollection but miles better than what it is in the tank.

No access to RO water I don't think...So, 25% changes every other day.

Also just a quick question - When doing water changes and I have to use two buckets for instance, I'll put the water solution in to the first bucket, then no more in the second...As I figured the solution is now in the tank and moving around etc. Shall I continue to do this?

Soldato
Regarding first point, I would just keep doing what you're doing. I'm actually more one to give the water changes a couple of days between cycles. Haven't been on this thread for ages so sorry if you've already discussed this but did you use some old filter media from another established tank? That can help speed up the cycle.

Saying that it's always a good investment for the health of your fish to have a nicely cycled tank before adding a few at a time. I've had tanks fishless cycling anywhere between 4 days and 3+ weeks. No point rushing it.

Also good you have plants in the tank, that helps (nice set up by the way).

Also just a quick question - When doing water changes and I have to use two buckets for instance, I'll put the water solution in to the first bucket, then no more in the second...As I figured the solution is now in the tank and moving around etc. Shall I continue to do this?

Sounds fine, what I always do myself.

I just tend to pour the treated water across the length of the tank just to give better disbursement out of habit.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Regarding first point, I would just keep doing what you're doing. I'm actually more one to give the water changes a couple of days between cycles. Haven't been on this thread for ages so sorry if you've already discussed this but did you use some old filter media from another established tank? That can help speed up the cycle.

Saying that it's always a good investment for the health of your fish to have a nicely cycled tank before adding a few at a time. I've had tanks fishless cycling anywhere between 4 days and 3+ weeks. No point rushing it.

Also good you have plants in the tank, that helps (nice set up by the way).

Sounds fine, what I always do myself.

I just tend to pour the treated water across the length of the tank just to give better disbursement out of habit.

Yes I put some old filter media in the tank prior to starting this one up (When should I remove this?) I'll do a change tonight then and monitor levels again.

I only have the two fish in as that is what was from the old tank, when this one is ready I'll only put a few in at a time (so say a small group of Neons) etc etc

Glad the plants are a good idea - I'm thinking of getting some CO2 drops to help? They currently have tablets under them? (food)

I think I'll do what you do and poor it in to the tank then, as we currently fill the tank up through the top of the filter as it suggests.

Thanks for the responses!

Soldato
I hadn't realised you had fish in there - I would reduce feeding to once every other day at the most (I feed my fish 2-3 times a week maximum) as overfeeding may be playing a part.

If you can I would be tempted to take them out while you're cycling but that's your call.

I don't see CO2 would help in the short term for cycling but CO2 would be a good idea for plant health going forwards.

Caporegime
I hadn't realised you had fish in there - I would reduce feeding to once every other day at the most (I feed my fish 2-3 times a week maximum) as overfeeding may be playing a part.

If you can I would be tempted to take them out while you're cycling but that's your call.

I don't see CO2 would help in the short term for cycling but CO2 would be a good idea for plant health going forwards.

Yes the CO2 was more for the future regarding the plants :)

The two fish are bottom feeders so I only give them a wafer every few days as you say, they seem to be snuffling up a lot of stuff so they're quite happy.

I'll give it a water change tonight as suggested and monitor levels, then potentially do another Thursday / Friday and see how we go. Thanks for all the help :)

Caporegime

+1

Soldato

Thanks will have a browse on here.

The pump no longer works and although i don't really know much about keeping fish properly it looked to do a bit of a **** job. So instead of paying £40 to replace it i would keep it just for the LED and stick a new filter behind it. If i stick to the Fluval U series like Unicorn mentioned i should be okay?

Thanks a lot for this. Will get looking around now!

Ill be honest and tell u now my experience on a 19L Tank. It failed within 4 weeks and my fish wasnt healthy. I upgraded fast to a 120L (still small as far as hobbyists are concerned but big enough your water becomes manageable)

For you fluval chi a U1 (The mini doesn't have suitable biomedia and is purposed for medical tanks from my knowledge) would be way more than enough as there suitable for up to 55L tanks. the problem is theyre quite large for what they are. Do you have a local maidenhead aquatics? Id go speak to them pronto as if anyone knows stuff go there. P@H Are IDIOTS.

Regarding tanks u can pickup a Rekord 125L for next to nothing but the price rockets if u want a stand also.

Associate
Can anyone identify what this is? Some sort of fungus? Tank is 7 months old and the wood has been in it all that time. Looks like white fluff.

Photo_17_03_2015_16_54_07.jpg

Back
Top Bottom