Motorola Moto G - new budget smartphone champion?

Associate
Picking up a 1st gen unused 16GB Moto G tonight off a work mate for £50 locked to Vodafone can these still be unlocked easily?

Soldato
I have the Moto g 2nd Gen..

I absolutely hate this phone, I swear it's slower than my old s2 and seems less capable than even my old HTC desire!

The memory leak bug is ruining it for me, examples:

Chrome with eg 5 tabs, if the current Web page has adverts on it, frequently it won't be able to open the SwiftKey keyboard to type in a new address to go to without killing the app and starting again.

Sat nav + music (I have a Bluetooth head unit in my car), often the nav will crash, or music will stop.

It's lost videos before where the camera app stopped working

Switching between apps, they always lose data, annoying when switching between train times & citymapper, or email and Internet.

It's terrible! I have android 5 now, but it's not helped and I tried clearing the cache that was suggested - does anything work?? If not it's getting sold and I'll go back to a more flagship phone, which is annoying since I don't need half the features!

Soldato

I absolutely hate this phone, I swear it's slower than my old s2 and seems less capable than even my old HTC desire!

Chrome with eg 5 tabs, if the current Web page has adverts on it, frequently it won't be able to open the SwiftKey keyboard to type in a new address to go to without killing the app and starting again.

Sat nav + music (I have a Bluetooth head unit in my car), often the nav will crash, or music will stop.

Switching between apps, they always lose data, annoying when switching between train times & citymapper, or email and Internet.

It's terrible! I have android 5 now, but it's not helped and I tried clearing the cache that was suggested - does anything work?? If not it's getting sold and I'll go back to a more flagship phone, which is annoying since I don't need half the features!

That sounds pretty much exactly what I was experiencing with my N7 after it upgraded to lollipop, which is why I am very reluctant to let my G update. The latest update appears to have helped somewhat but it still is very slow to react a lot of the time.

I'm with you mate, Kitkat was as smooth as butter on my first gen moto g, as it stands I don't think the current hardware can handle lollipop unless some major fix's and performance enhancements are brought out, the moto g is a nice phone but it's hardly cutting edge hardware these days.

Soldato
Yeah I guess with all the rave reviews I just expected it to be able to cope with what I had assumed was not particularly power usage (Internet, email, nav and music, no games etc).

I am not doing any more than I ever did on the old s2 and that managed with similar ram, so I assumed it would be fine.

New phone time I think!

Soldato
after reading some of the stuff on that there t'internet i've turned off the updater and will stick to kitkat for now - got no problems with it and if it ain't broke i'm not going to try fixing it!

Soldato
That sounds pretty much exactly what I was experiencing with my N7 after it upgraded to lollipop, which is why I am very reluctant to let my G update. The latest update appears to have helped somewhat but it still is very slow to react a lot of the time.

Yup agree, lollipop ruined my n7, I read folk moaning about lollipop not getting to their device yet I always think what's the rush kitkat's fine, there's no need to rush android updates not since jellybean.

Don
Got my 2nd Gen 4G yesteday - pretty impressed so far.

Came with Lollipop 5.0.2 already installed
Is definitely 8GB and single sim slot.

Performance is good - no pauses or hesitation anywhere yet - will try and feed back on battery life later.

Only issues I have had so far:
- Dislike the lollipop "lock" screen - as swiping left/right opens the phone app or camera you have to swipe up (I always swipe horizontally for some reason)

- GPS appears to be broken (or at least in MyTracks - "No GPS found on this device", and "Select high-accuracy location mode" even though it is set to that) - apparently fixed in 5.1 whenever that comes out.

Soldato
Can you tell me where you got your 2nd Gen 4g from, everywhere I've looked is out of stock and says not available until the 29th March.

Is the GPS totally broken in all apps? If so this is a total deal breaker

Don
Can you tell me where you got your 2nd Gen 4g from, everywhere I've looked is out of stock and says not available until the 29th March.

Is the GPS totally broken in all apps? If so this is a total deal breaker

Carphone Warehouse - £149.99

Rebooted the Phone and GPS seems to now be fixed - instant lock in Google Maps. Looking around the web seems to be a few GPS issues with lollipop on other devices too, and the 5.1 changelog includes a few gps related fixes.

Don
Battery usage seems ok so far - Off charge @ 07:00 this morning, and still have 67% (~13hours estimated), and that includes:

45 minutes Chrome
30 minutes Play Music whilst Cycling to work.

And another couple of hours messing around with Wifi settings at work (don't ask), downloading apps, testing GPS with Google Maps / MyTracks / GPS Status, using Camera for the eclipse etc.

Back
Top Bottom