Cities: Skylines

Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
Significantly better. All restrictions can be removed by ingame selection or mods.

This is by far the better game - infinitely better.

I know Cities XXL has critics and does have bugs, but i've spent more time playing it than anything on any platform in 20 years. Just allows me to fiddle with stuff and play to my neatness OCD :)

Soldato
I really do grids, I just built my city up slowly with the game at max speed most of the time, and didn't chuck to many services in early, and at no point have I really had to think about money, I've always had more than enough.

Edit - 'rarely' do grids, not 'really'

Last edited:
Soldato
I know Cities XXL has critics and does have bugs, but i've spent more time playing it than anything on any platform in 20 years. Just allows me to fiddle with stuff and play to my neatness OCD :)

I have the game too and did the same now I do it in this and have more fun. :D Just checked I have over 200+ hours in Cities XL and I have only 80 in this - the difference being this has only been out a week. No wonder the wife is annoyed with me atm.

Soldato
Anyone have a solution for industrial area traffic ?
City traffic is relatively easy to cope with, build a new bypass and see traffic levels drop from all busy intersections, but my oil zone is quite busy :

Shame about the lack of vareiety in buildings:

But otherwise, great game, first game that comes close to being a good sequel to Sim city 4 Rush hour.

Also, is it possible to kill that ''tweet bird'' on top ?
Finally, to upgrade industry and offices, they often ask for ''more services'', however, what on earth do they want more ? They are covered by fire, police, buses, metro. What more services can industry and offices get then ?

Last edited:
Associate
Here's my attempt at providing an efficient highway and train depot for my industrial area.

Left hand drive, with mostly one way streets, the outside ring of streets support two way traffic, as well as one or two sets of streets going throught he centre of the zone. I found that putting the train depots in the centre of the industrial zones would create too much traffic there, so I have three cargo depots off the highway with one way access through them.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nieldo/screenshot/32988808728132891

Soldato
Here's my attempt at providing an efficient highway and train depot for my industrial area.

Left hand drive, with mostly one way streets, the outside ring of streets support two way traffic, as well as one or two sets of streets going throught he centre of the zone. I found that putting the train depots in the centre of the industrial zones would create too much traffic there, so I have three cargo depots off the highway with one way access through them.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nieldo/screenshot/32988808728132891

Wow, such a transport hub for industry in a city with only 36 k people :eek:.

I think industry creates way to much traffic, and residential and commercial areas create to little traffic!

Not the only solution but take a look at this example:

http://gfycat.com/DisgustingJealousDugong

I see, better planning of new industrial areas it is then!

The scale seems a bit off imho, real world industrial areas don't need such roads/infrastructure and have less traffic in my experience:
Shell_Pernis_groot_tcm26-61337.jpg

What's the advantage of using rail stations for cargo ? Don't get me wrong I have one, but what does it offer extra for the costs ? The roads going off the map are hardly near max capacity yet, but the 6 lane road on which the rail station is located is quite clogged.

Associate
Wow, such a transport hub for industry in a city with only 36 k people :eek:.

Yeah. Its probably best to spread the industry out so that you don't have such a large requirement on motorways from a single place.

And in your picture, you use that as an example of low infra needed to support industry, but those plants in the picture have a massive network of docks and countless ships supporting it, which means it doesn't need the road network :) Luckily we can recreate this ingame!

Soldato

Whilst this is clearly a fairly efficient solution it seriously bugs me that the two outbound slip-roads connect to the highway on the inside lane :( (well actually the one heading to the right connects to the inside and the one going to the left connects twice - once inside and once outside)...

This is by far the best guide to understanding how to plan stuff out imo:

http://imgur.com/a/z1rM1

Associate
Can someone explain the workers education process? I've got two elementary schools with capacity of 600, 517 eligible. I've also got a high school capacity 1000, eligible 1040. My population is 3600. I'm showing a lot of commercial building with a lack of educated workers that are starting to close. What feeds the educated workforce?

Soldato
Can someone explain the workers education process? I've got two elementary schools with capacity of 600, 517 eligible. I've also got a high school capacity 1000, eligible 1040. My population is 3600. I'm showing a lot of commercial building with a lack of educated workers that are starting to close. What feeds the educated workforce?

You need a university.

Caporegime
you need time as well for people to get educated
without a uni they still get educated just not to the highest tier

FwYmurp.jpg

The scale seems a bit off imho, real world industrial areas don't need such roads/infrastructure and have less traffic in my experience:
Wow that looks almost like a real photo.
what mod/colour filter are you using?
I tried realistic colours but everything just looks over bright and not realistic at all

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom