208 Low Oil Warning 4 months after service

Associate
1.4 petrol, 62 plate 208

Had service 4 months ago, which included oil change.

Now the oil level warning light has started to come on. Checking the dipstick shows the level to be on the bottom of the scale so clearly this is low on oil.

There is no leak that I can see so why is the oil level low 4 months after it was changed?

Is it possible to look at the oil on the dipstick closely to see if it had been changed?

Take back to garage or just top it up and not worry about it?

Soldato
What was the level after the service was done? I would expect it to have been filled to max but I always check to see if that is the case. Also how many miles have you done in those 4 months? If it is more than 1000 it is probably well within the manufacturers tolerance so they'll tell you it is fine and just needs a top up.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

What was the level after the service was done? I would expect it to have been filled to max

It's normally 1l from min level to max. 1l saved over hundreds of services soon adds up to significant saving. I know official dealers, not just shady back street garages, that have pulled this trick in the past.

Associate
My wifes 207 1.6 uses a lot of oil. Its just the way the engines are. Over 15k I have added 3 litres of oil.

Associate
OP
Topped it up with oil. It took about 500ml to go half way up the stick so at a guess it did need a full 1L to reach the top level.

No drips underneath, engine area is clean. Checked the water in the coolant level tank and that looks fine; just blue water in there - I presume the oil would rise into it if there was a problem.

Mileage since the service was arond 3,000

Never had an issue like this before. Guess I should check the oil level after the next service.

---

"Why didn't I check the oil level for four months?"

Uh, it's all digital now. Comes up on the display when low. For 3 months and 3 weeks after the service the screen said "Oil Level Correct".

Do you still write entries in the log book every journey you make. :D

Don
Generally up to 1L per 1000 miles is deemed acceptable. You should make a point of checking the following once a month..

Oil
Coolant
Brake fluid
Tyre treads
Tyre pressures
Washer fluid

Besides a house, it's the most expensive thing that you own and typically a necessity to get to work. Look after it and it will look after you

Associate
OP
Hmm. Owned vehicles for 27 years and never had an issue like this before.

Sure, some of the vehicles I had for over 7/8 years needed top ups after a while but never within the first few years.

Take this 208.
Purchased Nov 2012.

No problems within levels within the first 12 months
First oil change 12 months later ... no problems within the second 12 months
Second oil change 12 months later ... 4 months after that low oil.

To me that would indicate
a) a leak
b) the second oil change was like a northerner's pint of beer (not topped up to the brim)
c) These 208s start to lose / burn oil excessively in their third year

One test is to now wait for the next 4 months / 3000 miles. If the oil level is near enough the same then it's b). If it goes low again then it's a) or c).

BTW,

Clearing out the shed I found a half bottle of oil that I used for the old 307. It's the same grade but has been stored in the shed for about 5 years. Would this still be good to use or would have changes in temperatures over the years degraded it?

Soldato
My car randomly uses oil. I can sometimes do over 500 miles with no change in level and then do only 200-300 miles and it might drop by up to 400ml. Very odd!

As a result I check oil a couple of times a week just to be sure I know where it is. Takes me a minute to do so not much time out of my day. As a guide I do between 250 and 300 miles a week.

Like b0rn2sk8 says, topping up is cheap. I get 5 litres of oil for £15-£20 meaning the average 250ml top up costs no more than a quid each time.

Back
Top Bottom