Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Soldato
I have had a MK5 GTI and a MK6 GTD. You really can't compare the diesel to the GTI im sorry, the GTIs are great fun the cars, the GTD felt like a good tool to me but not fun. The GTD served a purpose because like you we had a long commute.

OP you re missing quite a few options... DAB, upgraded wheels, font park sensors, park assist, suspension adjust, leather, LED lights and xenons. You got the flappy pedals for the DSG? What is good though is loads can be retrofitted :) I would certainly look at getting the xenons/leds. Maybe even the shadow wheels too, they look great.

I think I ll return to a golf next year, maybe the R depending on prices.

Man of Honour
Manual mk6 GTI with leather interior here. Drives very nicely and feels modern but it's not a patch on the build quality of my old mk4 V6 4motion. I'm thinking of maybe going back to another mk4 but an R32 simply to get into something with low depreciation.

I'm loving that mk2 above (Atlas grey I believe?). I had a mk2 16v just like that back in the 90s.

Car in sig is also based on a mk2 chassis :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I want a Mk7 R (R400 if I wait long enough) next, My Mk4 is getting old/slow now.

zvc2ev.jpg

Yes the wheels are still dirty.

Soldato
I have a mk4 gti 1.8t (150bhp) and will be replacing it with a mk7 gti in 2 weeks or so. Pictures to come when I get her :)

Now to sell the mk4 :(

Edit: finglonga what exhaust is that? Looks like the R exhaust.

Caporegime
This is why I have been debating so long, I don't want to be that c*ck that blinds everyone, but I want HID/xenon lighting in the car. I hate halogen bulbs with a passion!

Even at the price of copies, it is quite expensive and makes me think once I am in that territory I might as well go all out for the genuine...

Get cheap copies off eBay. How you install them is 90% of it, most of the Chinese variants are built exactly the same but cost 1/5th of the OEM kit.

just fit some osram nightbreaker unlimited as your dip and mains. excellent bulbs, nowt wrong with them.

Osram nightbreakers, Phillips nightrapers, Bosch darkshafters...name your halogen, none of them are a patch on projectors with HID ballasts and bulbs.

Associate
OP
I have had a MK5 GTI and a MK6 GTD. You really can't compare the diesel to the GTI im sorry, the GTIs are great fun the cars, the GTD felt like a good tool to me but not fun. The GTD served a purpose because like you we had a long commute.

OP you re missing quite a few options... DAB, upgraded wheels, font park sensors, park assist, suspension adjust, leather, LED lights and xenons. You got the flappy pedals for the DSG? What is good though is loads can be retrofitted :) I would certainly look at getting the xenons/leds. Maybe even the shadow wheels too, they look great.

I think I ll return to a golf next year, maybe the R depending on prices.

DAB - didn't really start going out there until about 2011 and the DAB model of RNS510 didn't exist in 2009 so that can be ruled out I guess and it's pointless upgrading from my B model as I won't really benefit much. I have suspension adjust. I don't class the wheels or seats as an option, they are more a styling preference as such, just like choosing your colour. Park assist is for people who can't drive lol :)

Yep I have the flappy paddles on my DSG

Get cheap copies off eBay. How you install them is 90% of it, most of the Chinese variants are built exactly the same but cost 1/5th of the OEM kit.

Osram nightbreakers, Phillips nightrapers, Bosch darkshafters...name your halogen, none of them are a patch on projectors with HID ballasts and bulbs.

I agree, halogen will never ever give that same effect. I will probably end up with some copies but ensure from a UK seller.

Soldato
Get LED rear lights too! They look great I think.

I think it's worth upgrading the RNS for C onwards as you get LED screen, bigger HD and generally it's quicker. You tried a firmware update so you can have radio text?

Soldato
I'm loving that mk2 above (Atlas grey I believe?). I had a mk2 16v just like that back in the 90s.

Car in sig is also based on a mk2 chassis :)

It is indeed. It's one of the last Atlas greys too (well, should be) as it was produced just before they changed to Pearl Grey and the big bumpers, whilst it has them fitted, it was originally a small bumper car, someone converted it in the past.

It's currently sitting on silly red wheels until I've sorted out an MOT and bothered to remove the plastidip. They are polished face wheels which looks ok, but I thought I'd be on the road over winter so wanted some protection on them. I'll get them properly refurbed at some point in a nice simple/normal silver sort of colour.

Do like the Corrados. :cool:

Associate
OP
Get LED rear lights too! They look great I think.

I think it's worth upgrading the RNS for C onwards as you get LED screen, bigger HD and generally it's quicker. You tried a firmware update so you can have radio text?

I've upgraded to I think 4120 it is from memory, which is the first firmware version before DAB. I think that it is the furthest you can take a B unit, but I am happy with what it does. I rarely use the radio, I use stuff on the HDD or play from my phone VIA bluetooth.

I will get the rears eventually, once I have sorted the front out :)

nam

nam

Soldato
I thought the same, but also think that it makes it look a bit tacky too?

Well they get worn quiet easily with muddy and wet feet from day trips and weekend trips and as i have to give them some protection otherwise i will have buy new replacement's which i don't plan to do on a lease..

Associate
OP
Well they get worn quiet easily with muddy and wet feet from day trips and weekend trips and as i have to give them some protection otherwise i will have buy new replacement's which i don't plan to do on a lease..

If you go out doing some kind of hiking, then have separate shoes for the car.. But regular cleaning should work fine? you usually get a good 30k+ miles out of a mat before they see signs of wear

not even leather on an R!?

Leather is a personal preference, some people like it some don't.. I don't see it as a 'toy' ?

nam

nam

Soldato
If you go out doing some kind of hiking, then have separate shoes for the car.. But regular cleaning should work fine? you usually get a good 30k+ miles out of a mat before they see signs of wear

Leather is a personal preference, some people like it some don't.. I don't see it as a 'toy' ?

Not easy to keep changing out of shoes, especially a family, i could not keep doing a shampoo and freshener to keep out the weekly accidents and oops :)

Associate
OP
Not easy to keep changing out of shoes, especially a family, i could not keep doing a shampoo and freshener to keep out the weekly accidents and oops :)

I dunno, personally I just think it looks a little tacky. I manage to keep mine clean with a simple hoober, no need for wet vac as long as you keep on top of it. Dry mud just comes off with the hoover, if it's wet then just wait :D

Back
Top Bottom