Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
unpadded tights over a pair of half decent bibs here. It's a modular kit time of year

This.

And just work harder in the morning than on the ride home. :)

I had a really enjoyable commute in. -2 when i left the house but gloriously clear and sunny, so just kept a reasonable pace and i was toasty warm. It's helped by the fact there's a 50m climb the minute i go out my front door, so it does tend to warm you up fast.

Will take it easier on the way home and stow the gilet and remove my liner gloves. Should be fine.

Soldato
Clicking through the raceshape link I decided to try and use SNAP to sort out the GPS of the ride where I climbed Sa Calobra last year. I never got a time for it as the GPS was way off.

I get the message:

No directions for this section. Off road ride?

Any ideas??

Edit: I've tried with another ride, it works a treat. None of my Majorca ones work :(

Edit 2: The ride in question - https://www.strava.com/activities/161529549

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got a puncture.

On the turbo. :confused:

What the utter ****!

Tarts done that, although you don't want to go copying him as he's also crashed on his Turbo! ;)

Saying that... the Kurt Kinetic's do come with 'crash warranty'...

I have had this before though in my case it was due to re-using an old tyre and there still being a shard of glass lodged in it.

See above :p ;)

Hmmm seems like premium isn't worth the effort then really. I'm sad and keep an excel of all my training so even those features wouldn't help me much.

With you keeping a log that's a huge chunk of what Strava does anyway! Premium doesn't really add to that except maybe setting Goals/Training. TR?

Cadence must take on a different perspective though when it is directly proportional to speed :p

I've had two days of pigging out on **** so by the time the weekend comes I'm going to have to do some miles to mitigate the damage a bit :o

Roll on Sunday then it'll be as many evenings a week as I can squeeze in even if I can only knock out 10 miles or so.

I do 8.5 miles a day commuting and it's made a huge difference to me (but I didn't ride before). Commuting is a very easy way to rack your miles up ;)

£600 looks like a bargain to me. I think it looks pretty smart as well.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alur-700-road-bike-id_8290145.html

That is a great deal at that price, it was slightly overpriced before (as it was only £50 short of a Giant Defy 1 2014). It's in a similar weight class (<9kg) and with a full 105 setup (even if 'old' 105) to many others - if the ride is ok and you could live with the rear brake.

Last edited:
Associate
So you'd try avoid them around Yorkshire then!

Just found my Strava ride when I crashed last year, amused me to see that I was at 32.9mph when it happened and all I did was sprain my shoulder, feel I got lucky there! Live and learn!

http://app.strava.com/activities/180269670

Always make me think I'm bloody lucky and amuses me when I look at the Strava of my crash in the Alps last year descending Col de la Forclaz and suffering a rear blowout. Especially the graph, 40mph to 0mph via the helmet in seconds, ouch!

21docbn.png

Soldato
Not a good day at all for commuters - freezing cold in the morning and sunny and warm in the afternoon!

It was like it last week too... Can't complain as at least it's bright! :D

unpadded tights over a pair of half decent bibs here. It's a modular kit time of year

Unpadded tights over thermal padded tights here as it was 1 degrees. Overheated slightly, should've just worn thermals. Normal padded tights for the ride home!

I'm a lucky man (/looks over shoulder :eek:), but having a wife means my budget cannot be spent solely on bikes :p. I mean, for the first time ever last year, I spent more on a car then I have on a bike!

I had to justify blowing an insurance payout along with some additional funds to get my Giant (£899) :rolleyes: but we were running 2 cars then... Now one of them has gone (hers!) I'll really have to justify any bike changes as I'm intending on changing my car in the next couple of years too...! At least a decent chunk of our mortgage is paid off too so she can't complain too loudly! In fact she's half looking at next houses so I'd need to get bike and car changed before that happens... :eek::rolleyes: One of my few 'requirements' in the new place will be a big enough 'garage' for the car and bikes with enough room for man cave/turbo torture chamber! ;)

I'm kinda digging the single speed for commuting :/ haven't touched my main bike since I built it!

Blasphemy! Take it back! :(

You guys seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N63hg1e5xvs

Well done to the lad for chasing them, could have turned badly though!

Yeah he did the right thing stopping with the bike as 3 v 1 wouldn't end well! He still could've hit the rear lad with his bike but probably safer not to... He'd probably get done for riding without DC&A! :rolleyes:

Meh. Just spotted I completed the Strava 'Adventure Cycling Challenge'. Yay! But the jersey is pretty boring/plain and costs $120 with $20 shipping (=£92.10)... Anyone bothered getting a Strava jersey and can comment on the quality? Might be a good time to buy as the Dollar is only going to go up this year (and the pound probably down)...
6KPDTCANROoSMuGJAP86Bsl-KgOKZfdl7ij1_tf0rSloBL3HoYdKk0j7IbaNgLTECuxR2qZirdbpgTIHeZJbaQMlzounA4mGChv87Tsf8IK3nlTr0cb9TbpugpKYGJJtpvE=s0-d-e1-ft

Last edited:
Soldato
Meh. Just spotted I completed the Strava 'Adventure Cycling Challenge'. Yay! But the jersey is pretty boring/plain and costs $120 with $20 shipping (=£92.10)... Anyone bothered getting a Strava jersey and can comment on the quality? Might be a good time to buy as the Dollar is only going to go up this year (and the pound probably down)...
https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/6KPDTCANROoSMuGJAP86Bsl-KgOKZfdl7ij1_tf0rSloBL3HoYdKk0j7IbaNgLTECuxR2qZirdbpgTIHeZJbaQMlzounA4mGChv87Tsf8IK3nlTr0cb9TbpugpKYGJJtpvE=s0-d-e1-ft#[url]https://dgalywyr863hv.cloudfront.net/challenges/Adventure-cycling-1-V1-M.png[/url][IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh bugger that. The thing is ghastly! Even if it was nice, if I was looking for a new jersey I'd rather spend less on a brand with known quality.

Associate

Cuore do the IAM cycling kit of which I have the jersey and its good quality. That strava jersey is vile though :p

Associate

No never seen anyone wearing a Strava jersey in the UK and I think you'd have to be mad to buy one at their prices! If they shipped from the UK instead of the USA the shipping may be cheaper but I'll settle for the free badge instead like a Boy Scout!

Associate
I'm all for not judging people on what they wear but buying and wearing a Strava jersey for completing a 100/150km ride is really not cool.

Agreed. I suppose it's a way for Strava to make money though, I shouldn't imagine premium subs bring in much.

I want to buy one of the climbing challenge jerseys though! Trouble is I've never come close to completing the challenge. Even this month's easier climbing challenge, I only reach 75% :/

Forgot to lock my bike up yesterday at work, whoops. Luckily still there when I went home last night.

Soldato
Soldato
no matter what I may have said about pro kit and championship jerseys in the past, strava jerseys turn the tryhard ****er factor up to 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom