Migrating a WordPress site

Associate
I have been working on a WordPress site for a client and have finished the site on my own web hosting package. I have created a new hosting package on Fasthosts at the request of the client and now I need to export the site from my server to the new server, not something I have done before.

I have quite a few custom plugins, widgets and a customised paid template and obviously I want to keep everything as is without anything breaking.

I see in the admin panel there is an option Tools > Export but this only covers comments and posts etc. So can anyone point me in the direction of how to best export the entire database and site settings/content and then import it to the Fasthosts account?

Cheers!

Associate
OP
I have cPanel on my own server which is Vidahost but not sure on Fasthosts as waiting on the domain transferring before I can setup a website instance but I believe its cPanel their as well.

Soldato
I like to copy the files and database manually. Migrator plugins are easier but havnt always worked perfectly for me in the past.
You'll need to take a backup of the database and files before you use the plugin anyway, so it's not that much extra to do it manually.

If you were using the same domain to develop it you wont even have to change any settings in the db.
Copy database
copy files
edit wp-config with database user account if different from before.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Good news that you have cpanel.. so just login to your cpanel get the mysql database backup for this wordpress site from your cpanel .. and copy wp files for this domain over to new hosting provider and .. create a database with same name and password over their and restore the .sql file which you have backedup.

Associate
Really easy mate ...

- Backup database.
- Zip entire wp-content folder (providing you're running the same WP version, if you aren't upgrade on the current setup)
- Install WP on new server. By doing this you stop the risk of a permissions problem with the folder owner. Namesco are a ***** for this.
- Copy and extract wp-content zip file on the new server
- Restore database
- Install and run this to replace the old URL's in the database in required -> https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/
- Delete the above when completed.

Job done. Takes about 5 - 10 minutes of "manual" work. The rest is waiting for downloads.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help, got the database transferred over and the wp site is working but still one major issue. When I click any of my links they are still pointing to my old install on my own server. Just emailed the client to say its live and then noticed this so need to fix it asap.

See http://nelsongray.com/ and try clicking ay of the menu links and you will see its directs to my cruitme.com domain :(

Hoping this is an easy fix?

Associate
OP
Ok cool got the plugin working now so what should I enter as old url and new url?

old: cruitme.com/projects/nelson
new: nelsongray.com

?

Associate
Be careful just updating wp_options table, any URL's in any of the sites posts or pages won't be updated.

You need to do a full search and replace (link on my Previous post does this) to get 100% results.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom