Malaysian Grand Prix 2015, Kuala Lumpur - Race 2/19

Caporegime
Tweet saying Button has repeated today that there was something strange in the data he saw after the Alonso crash but he can't talk about it. Apparently he said similar right after the accident but not sure if that was reported.

Alonso said he didn't lose consciousness but Mclaren have at several times said he did. Alonso saying he lost consciousness maybe in the ambulance or clinic but seemed to suggest this was down to sedation... something I also find odd, it's normal to sedate people with head injuries for travel, no it sure as heck isn't.

There isn't anything fundamentally dangerous with concussion victims going to sleep the reason you're often kept awake is because changes in mental status after a head injury are significant indicators of trouble and doctors/whoever can't monitor mental status when someone is asleep, it's really that simple. So sedating someone with an injury isn't standard, you would only do so I'd imagine is if the patient is struggling/panicking for whatever reason, due to head knock not knowing where they are or what is going on, being sedated in that situation makes sense.

The whole thing still makes absolutely no sense. It wasn't the car, but it was the car, they don't know what went wrong but Button has seen something in the data he can't talk about... while also saying he spent ages going through the data to convince himself the car was safe and was okay with it(though obviously if something is seen then fixed/changed you can feel safe, so doesn't directly preclude there being something there... though he suggested there wasn't). He was knocked unconscious.... but he wasn't unconscious.

Now out of no where Alonso suggests that his car had a custom steering rack and that the wheel was locked and sent him to the right. The gust of wind theory and Alonso said it definitely wasn't.

Everything about it is ridiculous at this stage largely because every week after the incident brings a new contradiction to what we've been previously told.

Soldato
Could they have been testing some shady grey area technology that didnt quite go to plan? could explain mclarens reluctance to provide any solid clarity to the situation and the mixed messages from all parties, they wouldnt want to give away any advantage before the even get it to a race.

Soldato
Want to get a 24hr sky sports pass for the practice sessions. Any ideas what happens with the clocks changing?

edit:

nvm, practice sessions are on the BBC now.

That wasn't the case last year was it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Want to get a 24hr sky sports pass for the practice sessions. Any ideas what happens with the clocks changing?
Considering how much trouble they could potentially get in for not giving you a full 24 hours access on a 24 hour pass, I doubt that the hour 'stolen' by daylight savings will count towards the hours of the pass. I don't know for sure though

Caporegime
Meh, I dislike that I go through lots of insomnia periods but if they come around during these races at least there is one positive thing about them :p

lol, wanted to check the actual times...

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/f1-live.html#leaderboard

EDIT:- refreshed the link and it switched over to FP2 times(so all blank currently)... should have got a screen shot of their utter incompetence. :( They'll probably **** it up again for FP2 times though.

not sure if these times will stay as they are or eventually be fixed but it currently has Rosberg top with a 1:52(he did a 1:40 in reality) and it has Grosjean down there with a fairly slow lap time of 24 minutes and something :p

How badly did they ruin the best website for basic data, actual times, nice pull down menus so you don't have to go to a different page for every single race. Quick, reliable, accurate, now just a POS.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12513/9777387

Alonso was 2.7 seconds behind Rosberg but, better than Australia which was 3.5 seconds and with it being a longer track that is a somewhat bigger improvement relatively than just 0.8 seconds. However, it's one of these situations where frankly only Manor(at some stage) and Mclaren have a reason to brave the temps and push as fast as they can go, simply because they need to push the engine regardless of the temps to get on with developing the car. Merc will be thinking about championships, saving engines, hot temps and not pushing too hard. Will see what the gap is either FP3 or qualifying, but maybe reason to be slightly positive. Of course, they may crank the engine up a little and watch both cars fail after 10 laps of the race as a result.

EDIT:- was comparing times from FP3 in australia because every website went retarded this year. BBC only has the fastest laps from qualifying full stop not each individual session. So the Aussie time of a 3.5second difference was on same tires, it sounds like Rosberg's time was on hards and Mclaren were likely on softs, so about where they were last race as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
The lack of pace in the cars after a few laps is staggering. After 10 laps the hard tyres are pulp.

Good to see McLaren are closer than in Aus. Still slowest (other than Manor) when it ultimately shakes out, but they do look quicker, and on a track with much longer straights.

Edit: as Alonso nearly crashes coming into the pits. :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Kimi is looking very good for a top 3 here. Vettel unhappy with his car.

1. Hamilton
2. Raikkonen
3. Rosberg
4. Kvyat
5. Bottas
6. Massa
7. Vettel
8. Verstappen
9. Ericsson
10. Ricciardo

Last edited:
Soldato
i watched the last race recorded, have formula1.com put the live timing back to how it was so you could see split times?

if not is there any other sites that offer the live timing ?

Man of Honour
OP
^ Nope, pretty sure it's all behind a pay wall now :(
Site was better laid out and functional last year tbh.

F1 teams are about to agree the use of 5 PU's for this season.

Soldato

It makes sense but at the same time that was one thing that could have really spiced up this season... Not that I'm saying that races should be decided by penalties.

Now Renault might throw their toys out of the pram too, over engines they helped to instigate:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118238

It's going to end up like Indycar or something with 2 engine suppliers, Merc and Ferrari.

Soldato
The engine rules are stupid (like most things in F1!)

I'm of the opinion that development should be unrestricted, you have a set amount of fuel for the race and get on with it.

Soldato
What I don't understand is why Maldonado gets big backing sponsorship wise, he's seen as a joke and an embarrassment is that value for money sponsorship wise? Can't their money just buy a sponsorship on any team they want without involving Maldonado or giving him any money?

It's politics. Hugo Chavez wanted Venezuela to be represented in F1, and whatever we may think of the Butcher of Caracas, Pastor Maldonado is a national hero there. It's a small country and not known for its motorsport. Him winning a race was as big for them as Senna's titles were to Brazilians.

Back
Top Bottom