Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I do like that about FSA cranks. The self extracting bot is really simple.

probably the reason they develop a clicky squeak sound in the first place though.

I'll have to replace it at some point.
what are considered the best CX cranks the shimano cx branded ones?

everything seems to be going 11 speed though :(

Soldato
Caporegime
probably the reason they develop a clicky squeak sound in the first place though.

I'll have to replace it at some point.
what are considered the best CX cranks the shimano cx branded ones?

everything seems to be going 11 speed though :(

There won't be any appreciable difference between 10 and 11 speed chainsets. I wouldn't worry about it.

Soldato
Final bike bits ordered.

Total cost: £1429.44

Spec:

Carbon CX frame, discs, mudguard mounts (this)
Dodgy Chinese carbon wheels - 50mm rim, 25mm width, novatec disc hubs
Shimano hydraulic disc brakes (RS685)
Ultegra 6800 everything, including:
- 50/34 172.mm cranks
- 11-28 rear cassette
Aishima Ai2 rotors
SKS Chromoplastic mudguards (most pro part)

For now I'm sticking to my current super heavy pedals but I'll be ordering some shiny Xpedo M-Force 8 Ti pedals (here) next month when I'm not crying from the bike costs so much.

Look forward to the finished pics :)

Northwave Celsius GTX boots now under £100 (35% off). I'm holding off until hopefully snagging a better deal in the summer sometime ;)

Keep going back to these Primal jerseys and mainly this one:
** Hotlinked image **

It's loud and I'll get some strange looks but many of the Primal designs are totally unlike others, who wants to be 'one of the crowd'? ;)

Nice, I do like a loud shirt :D

Soldato
Those Primal jerseys own. Might have to get one of those.

What's the OCUK consensus on Garmin mounts? I want one of the 'out front' style ones but I don't want to pay £30 for it. Are the eBay knockoffs alright?

Soldato
I want one of the 'out front' style ones but I don't want to pay £30 for it. Are the eBay knockoffs alright?

I have a sram mount.

I thought it was an out-front style mount (and that's how I have been using it) but I just searched for a link for you and realised that I have been using it wrong :confused:

This is the one I have. You can see in the second picture that it's supposed to hold the garmin above the stem (?!). I use it the other way around to hold the garmin in front of the bars.

Man of Honour
I have a sram mount.

I thought it was an out-front style mount (and that's how I have been using it) but I just searched for a link for you and realised that I have been using it wrong :confused:

This is the one I have. You can see in the second picture that it's supposed to hold the garmin above the stem (?!). I use it the other way around to hold the garmin in front of the bars.

I think the idea is that you can mount it both ways isn't it?

e.g. Link

It's possible that on an MTB you'd want to mount the Garmin differently I guess?

Soldato
Just been out and weighed by bikes with a luggage scale

Canyon - 9.5kg with guards, cages and various accessories like light brackets.
Cervelo - 8.3kg with the same

My Scott was 7.4kg at it's lightest.

I can't really tell the difference between them when going up hills.

I notice a difference between my heavy Giant Defy (about 10 kg) and my Canyon Endurace (7.4 kg), especially when accelerating away and on hills <10%. On steep hills, >10%, I find that there is absolutely no difference as my body weight takes over.

Roughly speaking of course.

Soldato

It's possible that on an MTB you'd want to mount the Garmin differently I guess?

I guess on a MTB you would prefer it out of the way and not protruding out front. In which case you could just use the standard mount.

Soldato

I know right! Remind me of similar designs from 'Iron Fist' which I loved on T-shirts a few years back (and own loads of).

What's the OCUK consensus on Garmin mounts? I want one of the 'out front' style ones but I don't want to pay £30 for it. Are the eBay knockoffs alright?

I own that superstar mount and can't fault it, although it kinda is for sale if you wanted one as I got the VIRB/Garmin combo mount too so have no huge use for the plain Garmin one (except maybe on the turbo) ;)

As Tart mentioned they can be used both ways, I think the above stem for MTB is for when riders get thrown over the handlebars they don't want it in the way? Remember these are the same guys which still think they need pedals (yet only have them for show) :rolleyes: ;)

Soldato

£7 one for me works fine - ebay. Garmin 500 mounted - solid and absolutely fine.

Soldato
Cycle Scheme... any way to pay for a bike before voucher arrives instead of waiting for the voucher? Apparently it could take 6-8 weeks and I'm too impatient for that.

Also what's a good road bike within scheme bounds? Considering Planet X RT-58 Tiagra but would preferably like to try one first.

Associate
Soldato
Seconded, I have the SRAM on my winter bike and the now the superstar on my summer bike. Both seem strudy, well made and are out front mounts but the superstar mount the garmin sits just below the stem so more aero :) wheras the the sram mount sits the gamin just above the stem.

My superstar mounts are both reversible, so you can mount the arm lower or higher, lower looks more pro (and more aero) but may impact your gear/brake cables... My VIRB/Garmin mount did with the VIRB fowling cables and it took several adjustments to get it right. It still does slightly on any handlebar rotation past 75 degrees but nothing major until 90 degrees (don't make turns that tight very often!) ;)

Cycle Scheme... any way to pay for a bike before voucher arrives instead of waiting for the voucher? Apparently it could take 6-8 weeks and I'm too impatient for that.

Also what's a good road bike within scheme bounds? Considering Planet X RT-58 Tiagra but would preferably like to try one first.

Good bike but you're paying a little to have 'full carbon' and sacrificing the groupset when you could have 105 for a similar price with an alu frame/carbon fork combo. A good alu/carbon combo will be similar weight to the full (cheaper end) carbon at that price point (8.5-9.5kg) so all you gain is the additional shock absorption of carbon which you can pretty much negate by going 25mm tyres on an alu frame (I believe!?).

I would consider Tiagra a compromise after riding 105, but I'm biased ;)

Last edited:
Soldato

could try paying via credit card, then when voucher arrives, pay that and get money paid back on to credit card - my local shop did that for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom