• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** TRULY INSALE DEALS ON GTX 780Ti & GTX 770!! **

Associate
Its the superflower 550w golden green

Should be fine as long as you don't have stacks of other stuff in your system and massive overclocks.

I'm planning on running mine (780 ti) on a Cooler Master VS 550w psu. I know loads of people run them on the Hadron Air psu as well which is 500w and 40A on the 12v rail without issue.

Soldato
34% of all gamers on steam (who allowed the hardware survey) use 1080p only barely 5% use any resolution above

a 780ti will handle most things at 1080p better than fine.

Yea 1080P will be the most popular resolution for a long time.

Though there are already games that use more than 3GB of VRAM at 1080P, not to mention the games coming in future weeks/months that will use more.

It's my opinion that £250 is too much to spend on a card with only 3GB VRAM at this point in time, even for 1080P. Each to this own though of course.

Associate
Sold my 680 and ordered the 780ti.

I sold the 680 for £146/€200, so the 780ti will just cost about £115 with shipping.

A good upgrade i think. The 3Gb Memory is low but it still is 50% more than what i had :p

I only game at 1200p so if i have to knock down some detail in some games so be it :)

Associate
not sure what planet some of you guys live in but 3gb is enough for 1440p..let alone 1080p and has been for years.

I think these new cards with massive ram has gone to peoples heads lol

Soldato
not sure what planet some of you guys live in but 3gb is enough for 1440p..let alone 1080p and has been for years.

I think these new cards with massive ram has gone to peoples heads lol

You're not aware that Shadows of Mordor requires 6GB VRAM for 1080P then I assume? Just to name one game.

Have you heard of the PS4, XB1? Most games are developed for those consoles, then ported to PC. It just so happens these consoles have 8GB of VRAM, so developers are implementing very high resolution textures because of this fact.

From here on out, the amount of VRAM that PC games will need will explode.

Associate
Vram aside, the Ti is good bang for your buck, for those upgrading from 2Gb cards.

£450 is a lot to pay for cutting edge cards. I am hoping to get 2 years out of the 780Ti. If i need to lower detail then so be it.

Associate
I am hoping to get 2 years out of the 780Ti. If i need to lower detail then so be it.

My thoughts exactly

Well confirmed with CS my superflower 550w golden green should be ok with the 780ti so i have gone ahead with the upgrade from my original order from the 770

To the person who said i should be ok with the 550w depending on what i will run in pc
Will be a b85 motherboard, i5 4460, 8gb ram and 2 ssd's, one for os and the other for games

But not sure, might not open the 550w superflower and send it back to get something else, but what?

Last edited:
Associate
Yea 1080P will be the most popular resolution for a long time.

Though there are already games that use more than 3GB of VRAM at 1080P, not to mention the games coming in future weeks/months that will use more.

It's my opinion that £250 is too much to spend on a card with only 3GB VRAM at this point in time, even for 1080P. Each to this own though of course.

Agree.

Associate
yep, let me explain. The 8gb on the 290x is not needed as theres not enough gpu grunt to make use of it, its only relevant when going Xfire which I have no intention of doing.
The 290x runs hot, thats a well known fact, and the 780ti does run a bit cooler. the 780ti also is a little bit more powerful so I "should" see minor performance gains. Its only got 3gb as opposed to 4gb (useful Vram) on the 290x and as I only game (for the moment) at 1080p I reckon 3gb will be sufficient and if not, I'll just turn down the in game settings a bit (I'm certainly not a hardcore gamer who wants the absolute max visuals/ bells and whistles, etc).
Also, and heres the major reason, I'm modding a 15 year old cooler master ATCS 200 case to gain more internal room and so fit larger fans to hopefully improve cooling. Now, at this stage of the mod I want to hedge me bets as it were and avoid dumping hot air into the case, so a reference cooler is the way to start with (though I do intend to instal a Corsair H55/Kraken G10 combo in the future). So, to summarize, the 780ti offers comparable performance to a 290x, is reference cooled, relatively cheap due to the offer on Ocuk, Is marginally faster than a GTX970, which I refuse to have due to Nvidia's handling of the Vram issue (my decision and no-one elses ), slightly cooler running than a reference 290x and quieter too.
So I reckon there is method in me madness :)

There is method somewhere :D fair play.

Associate
You're not aware that Shadows of Mordor requires 6GB VRAM for 1080P then I assume? Just to name one game.

Have you heard of the PS4, XB1? Most games are developed for those consoles, then ported to PC. It just so happens these consoles have 8GB of VRAM, so developers are implementing very high resolution textures because of this fact.

From here on out, the amount of VRAM that PC games will need will explode.

True but i run shadows at 4k on a 780ti. I dont use the 6gb texture pack as its not needed at 4k. I get a stable 40fps. So i would say vram is over sold and isnt as needed as people make out. of course companies want you to buy more vram As they charge you more for it. Games will continue to be made for time to come that will run fine on 2gb of vram because that is the lowest common denominator.

Man of Honour
Surprised people are spending £250 on a 3GB card at this point in time, their money though I guess :p

So the better £250 card is what? Gone are the days when I can be bothered to spend more than that on a graphics card.

I just want something that will do proper justice to GTA V at 1080p.

I currently run a GTX 670 with an I5 2500k @4.5.

This deal looks like the most cost effective way to boost performance for GTA V. Is there a better way?

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;27846227 said:
So the better £250 card is what? Gone are the days when I can be bothered to spend more than that on a graphics card.

I just want something that will do proper justice to GTA V at 1080p.

I currently run a GTX 670 with an I5 2500k @4.5.

This deal looks like the most cost effective way to boost performance for GTA V. Is there a better way?

290 is around £220 and would do the same thing, plus has a bit more VRAM but you're really splitting hairs.

Personally I am staying on Nvidia for at least a short while longer until AMD get their drivers up to scratch and the whole GTA thang from start to finish will be about the drivers.

At £250 it's a massive upgrade to what you have now. Totally different league.

Back
Top Bottom