Best SSD for PS4 at the moment?

Soldato
Was there not some videos on YouTube that highlighted only certain games have a significant speed increase from an SSD. I know GTA V showed an obvious speed up like when changing character ingame but other games showed very little or no difference in loading speed, ok by the nature of an SSD it will likely be quicker but if the game only speeds up by 1 second in loading...is it really worth it? Besides, you wouldn't know if the loading times are actually worse with an SSD in future games, well it could be, you never know!

If Sony don't fully support SSD tech with PS4 hardware, the expense is total overkill. Just get a bigger SSHD drive and enjoy the couple of extra seconds saved in loading, it costs a fraction of a large capacity SSD.

Soldato
I had a 1tb 850 pro in my PS4 for a while. After a while it slows down considerably, The PS4 is not set up to manage SSD's. I also tried an SSHD but felt it made little difference. I now use a 2TB drive which works really well...

Soldato
Don't bother, the PS4 software isn't designed for SSDs so you'll end up with massive performance degradation over time. An SSHD (hybrid drive) is the best option really.

Go on why the degradation?

Bearing in mind that the ps4 will mostly do large sequential writes which SSDs love.

I wish people would stfu with the trim myth.

Soldato

Bearing in mind that the ps4 will mostly do large sequential writes which SSDs love.

What 'myth'? There's no TRIM support on the PS4 OS therefore the drive will obviously suffer in the long-term. It's been demonstrated many times, and Moogleys will tell you himself.

Soldato

The PS4 writes various items smaller than just games to the storage system. This includes game saves, videos, screenshots, messages etc.

Your correct the large games won't make much difference (provided they are not deleted and replaced often) but the smaller writes will quickly cause the drive to degrade without the TRIM feature.

Sure I've seen a post somewhere where the user ended up going back to a SSHD/HDD after degradation from only a couple of months of useage.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys. I've ended up going for the Seagate 1TB SSHD drives. I did a bit of research myself in terms of the lack of TRIM support and the subsequent performance degradation and I'd rather not take the risk that it's more than a myth. All in all, I'm ending up with a faster drive that should last a good couple of years. Thanks! :)

Soldato
true - but not a risk I'd be willing to take on a currently priced 1Tb SSD. At least with SSHD's we know they work well ;)

Good wise choice btw Whappers. I wish these manufacturers would hurry up already with 2Tb 2.5" SSHD's.

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom