Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
Any recommendations for floor protection, at the moment I do dead lifts etc straight from a first floor flat, carpeted concrete floor and if I drop it I'm almost certain it would cause damage, any suggestions on how I can protect it or at least reduce the chance of damage.

I bought 2 17mm mats from here
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-power-heavy-rubber-gym-mat-182-x-121-x-1-7cm.html

Really good solid heavy duty mats, nice a heavy so they don't move and the surface is quite smooth. Delivery was quick but I ordered over £100 so got free delivery on their web site but if you buy off the same shop but on ebay or amazon its free post anyway.

I also recently bought a 17mm and 10mm mat from here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151463092563?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Delivery was free and quick and the mats are still very good but not as solid as the above but still good quality and a lot cheaper.

The mats came form both companies rolled up and taped and the fist lot felt stiff when I picked them up and really heavy whereas the cheaper ones had more flex in them and were slightly lighter. The first ones when you take a look at the 17mm edge are one solid piece of rubber whereas the second set it looks like (approx) 10mm and then 7 mmm glued on top, my guess is its because they sell a range of mats with different surfaces whereas the first company only sell the one type of mats. The first mats are a smooth surface, the second ones are an amoebic surface so a bit more grip but not flat. I don't think any of this make much difference as both are good quality I'm just pointing things out. For me I prefer the first ones as they feel solid but they are pricey. I have the 2 I bought from FSS where I dead lift, squat etc and the other one near my dumbbells. I bought the 10mm to cover the rest of the flooring.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
I bought 2 17mm mats from here
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-power-heavy-rubber-gym-mat-182-x-121-x-1-7cm.html

Really good solid heavy duty mats, nice a heavy so they don't move and the surface is quite smooth. Delivery was quick but I ordered over £100 so got free delivery on their web site but if you buy off the same shop but on ebay or amazon its free post anyway.

I also recently bought a 17mm and 10mm mat from here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151463092563?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Delivery was free and quick and the mats are still very good but not as solid as the above but still good quality and a lot cheaper.

The mats came form both companies rolled up and taped and the fist lot felt stiff when I picked them up and really heavy whereas the cheaper ones had more flex in them and were slightly lighter. The first ones when you take a look at the 17mm edge are one solid piece of rubber whereas the second set it looks like (approx) 10mm and then 7 mmm glued on top, my guess is its because they sell a range of mats with different surfaces whereas the first company only sell the one type of mats. The first mats are a smooth surface, the second ones are an amoebic surface so a bit more grip but not flat. I don't think any of this make much difference as both are good quality I'm just pointing things out. For me I prefer the first ones as they feel solid but they are pricey. I have the 2 I bought from FSS where I dead lift, squat etc and the other one near my dumbbells. I bought the 10mm to cover the rest of the flooring.

You think the better flooring (from FS) is ok for dropping bumper plates from clean height?

Man of Honour
Depends what is under the mat...

The issue isn't necessarily whether it will damage the bumper plates, but what it will do to your bar. If you have a bar with bushings in the sleeves instead of bearings, it will be safer (safer - not necessarily safe) for the bar, but I wouldn't do it habitually.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
I was planning to build a small platform (ply) and put the matting on top.

Dropping from clean height would be very unlikely, but dropping from top of deadlift may happen occasionally.

Associate

They're very good for the money, especially if your short on room, but if you've got the room and additional money a full cage is a better option.

Actually you can get full cages off eBay for a similar price with decent reviews. Look for Ryno powercages (I've not used one, but did find some favourable reviews when i was looking to replace my CF415 with a full cage).

I've still got my CF415, but it's in the corner of my garage and i just use it for dips now.

Associate
Any recommendations for floor protection, at the moment I do dead lifts etc straight from a first floor flat, carpeted concrete floor and if I drop it I'm almost certain it would cause damage, any suggestions on how I can protect it or at least reduce the chance of damage.

Horse stable mats mate should be listed somewhere in this thread 1/3 of the price you would see for gym mats which probably does a better job

Associate
Guys I'm planning to finally get my mini shed built in the garden for my gym and have the money for it but before I do it the spec will be 14 by 14 with concrete blocks what would you guys estimate the price at for a builder to do it with double blocks, cement, electricity and a felt roof?

Man of Honour
Soldato
Hi all, bit of advice needed. I started doing some s+c work a few months ago, but don't go to the gym when I'm at the gf's (different town), so I've just picked up a 100kg bodypower olympic set for £50 so I can exercise when I'm at her house. My main exercises will be back/front squats, deadlifts, and maybe some bench pressing and olympic lifting (not with any kind of heavy load).

What should I do in terms of a rack? It is doubtful I will ever squat any greater than 120/140kg, I'm not interested in being huge. My main priority is keeping the cost down and saving on space, I'm tempted to buy two unattached squat stands and a bench separately, although I'm also looking at the all in one bench and racks, and small racks (e.g. the marcy sr50 or similar) on second hand websites. What do you guys recommend? I definitely won't have space for a full cage or anything.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Dude - squatting 140kg will not make you huge. Where do people get these ideas? :confused: ;)

Check out We R Sports and their squat rack: great construction and capacity whilst being one of the cheapest racks out there.

Associate
What dumbells would you guys recommend to buy? Around the 150 margin? i'm willing to stretch if need to. Also after a good boxing punch bag but not planning on spending loads on it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Any ideas what is the best option for a small budget of £100? I'm a complete n00b so I don't want to spend a fortune, I can get my cardio excercise from cycling to work (16 miles a day) but looking at getting some weights/bench as well. Obviously with my budget I'm lookng at second hand, but no idea what I should be looking for.

Never really done weights at all so I'm starting at square one.

Soldato
Any ideas what is the best option for a small budget of £100? I'm a complete n00b so I don't want to spend a fortune, I can get my cardio excercise from cycling to work (16 miles a day) but looking at getting some weights/bench as well. Obviously with my budget I'm lookng at second hand, but no idea what I should be looking for.

Never really done weights at all so I'm starting at square one.

Depends what your goals are. Either way £100 isn't a fantastic budget and you'll very likely outgrow anything you buy very quickly. I'd look for a PAYG gym if you're a total newbie - see if you like it and get a bit of help from staff on exercises and form. If you end up liking it then save for some decent kit

Soldato
Hi

I want to start lifting weights and was wondering if you guys could offer me some advice on which equipment to buy.

I have a fair amount of room as it will be going in my living room but I don't think I want a cage for the moment.

From what I have read so far I will need:

Bench - Any suggestions? I want something decent that will last me a long time.

Weights - I know I need olympic weights but other than that I'm not sure what to look for / buy.

Something instead of a cage - from reading the thread something like a CF415 is decent?

Decent quality mats

I don't really have a budget but I guess a rough one is probably around £1000. If i need to spend a bit more to get the right equipment then I am happy to do that.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hi

I want to start lifting weights and was wondering if you guys could offer me some advice on which equipment to buy.

I have a fair amount of room as it will be going in my living room but I don't think I want a cage for the moment.

From what I have read so far I will need:

Bench - Any suggestions? I want something decent that will last me a long time.

Weights - I know I need olympic weights but other than that I'm not sure what to look for / buy.

Something instead of a cage - from reading the thread something like a CF415 is decent?

Decent quality mats

I don't really have a budget but I guess a rough one is probably around £1000. If i need to spend a bit more to get the right equipment then I am happy to do that.

Thanks.

Do you live on your own/have neighbours? I'd probably get rubber-coated plates to prevent excessive clanging etc (although they are slightly more expensive).

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk...bell-kit-with-7-ft-bar-and-spring-collars.php

I have these and they are still in great condition after 18 months. 80kg + bar probably wont be enough and that costs £210. The 185kg set is £385.

Mats - approx £50-£100 - as it's your living room I'd probably try to ensure you don't skimp here, so around £100.

As you don't want a full cage then the CF415 is probably the obvious choice, but I'd personally get:

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf480-heavy-duty-multi-press-walk-in-squat-rack.php

As you'll have somewhere to store weights/it's probably slightly sturdier etc.

Then a bench. £250 should be enough.
I have this and can't fault it:
http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk...at-incline-decline-bench-and-leg-curl-ext.php

So in summary:

Rubber plates £210-£385 (100kg-185kg) depending on your strength etc.
Mat £100
Rack £152-£225
Bench £200-£300

So between £662-£1,010.

I would personally spend what you can afford so you don't get 6 months in and wish you'd bought better initially.

The other site to check stuff is Fitness Superstore. Similar stuff/price just different brands etc.

Soldato
Do you live on your own/have neighbours? I'd probably get rubber-coated plates to prevent excessive clanging etc (although they are slightly more expensive).

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk...bell-kit-with-7-ft-bar-and-spring-collars.php

I have these and they are still in great condition after 18 months. 80kg + bar probably wont be enough and that costs £210. The 185kg set is £385.

Mats - approx £50-£100 - as it's your living room I'd probably try to ensure you don't skimp here, so around £100.

As you don't want a full cage then the CF415 is probably the obvious choice, but I'd personally get:

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf480-heavy-duty-multi-press-walk-in-squat-rack.php

As you'll have somewhere to store weights/it's probably slightly sturdier etc.

Then a bench. £250 should be enough.
I have this and can't fault it:
http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk...at-incline-decline-bench-and-leg-curl-ext.php

So in summary:

Rubber plates £210-£385 (100kg-185kg) depending on your strength etc.
Mat £100
Rack £152-£225
Bench £200-£300

So between £662-£1,010.

I would personally spend what you can afford so you don't get 6 months in and wish you'd bought better initially.

The other site to check stuff is Fitness Superstore. Similar stuff/price just different brands etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I live in my dads house but he is hardly here so its pretty much me here alone. its a semi detached house but its probably worth getting the rubber ones anyway.

Is there any down side to getting the 185KG (aside from the price) as I figure its worth spending the extra and be covered for the future?

Regarding dumbells, can i just buy the bars and use the weights from the kit or would I ideally want want another set of weights for those?

Also can you recommend any specific mats?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom