• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 960 v GTX 670

Associate
I am looking to upgrade my GTX460 [for gaming].

I used GPUBoss to compare the above two cards.

It reckons the 960 is slightly better overall.

Having looked at the stats however, the 670 has better stats on things that I thought would be important to gaming.

Could I have some advice on this please?

********* 670 better stats ***************************
Higher memory bandwidth
192.3 GB/s vs 96 GB/s More than 2x higher memory bandwidth

Higher texture rate
102.5 GTexel/s vs 72.1 GTexel/s More than 40% higher texture rate

More texture mapping units
112 vs 64 48 more texture mapping units

Wider memory bus
256 bit vs 128 bit 2x wider memory bus

More shading units

Permabanned
A 670 versus a 960?

Considering any additional support it get's for DX12 etc I'd go 960. Plus it will sell better in the future where as a 670 or 680 will look positively ancient in comparison.

The stat differences in the op aren't as good as they look because of the architecture update, plus the 960 will be supported for longer.

Soldato
Soldato
If you can get a 670 for considerably cheaper I'd opt for that, taking into consideration some of them are factory OC'd to stock 680 speeds

Associate
OP
If you are driving games over 3 screens you are going to need something considerably more beefy than a 960...

The Nvidia webpage spec on this says it can handle up to 4 screens.

If you will be so kind as to explain why not, I would appreciate it! BEFORE I splash the cash :D

Soldato
Soldato
It can run up to 4 screens yes, but if you are planning on gaming on all 3 screens together then the graphics card likely won't have enough power to drive it at good settings, or possibly even low settings depending on the game.

Associate
The Nvidia webpage spec on this says it can handle up to 4 screens.

If you will be so kind as to explain why not, I would appreciate it! BEFORE I splash the cash :D

The 960 can run multiple screens fine for desktop uses. What the guy above means is that because the 960 is not the most powerful GPU, it will struggle playing games on multiple screens.

Associate
You can run 3 monitors for gaming + a peripheral monitor (for the fourth) or all 4 for the desktop

HeX and Shivy011 are right, you are going to need something beefier than a 960 to run games on 3 monitors IMHO

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestion .

However, Over the years, if I have had a problem with a card it's been a Radeon.
Maybe it's just bad luck on my part but I won't buy them now.

Back
Top Bottom