Show us your kitty cats

Caporegime
Up till now we have been feeding our cats with most major brand cat food - after looking what is in them I have looked around for something more palatable -
After a bit of googling I came up with this and ordered a few packs

Animonda Carny 200g tins - The cats seem to like it and main thing is they don't wolf it down like supermarket stuff - It seems to fill them up quicker so these tins go that much further.

Reading some of the feedback (If you believe it) most say their cats look better for it.

Has anyone else tried it or can you recommend something else ?

dave

I can't get mine to eat any of the expensive, high meat content foods. Carny was the first I tried and she wouldn't touch it. She will only eat the 4% meat ones like Felix :/

And even then, only some flavours of Felix...

Such a fussy madame, and doesn't even choose the stuff that's good for her!

Caporegime
we had the frontline from the vet and it was useless. parents also say the same and they live 30 miles away.

theres some research that suggests that fleas are becoming genetically resistant to fipronil, the ingredient in frontline.

The only stuff that I can get here that isn't Frontline or the crappy supermarket one needs a vet prescription. Drontal, Stronghold, etc.

And my vets won't just write one and let you buy it yourself. They make you take your cat to the vet and they give them the required dose, then tell you to come back for the next dose.

Costs a bloody fortune! £60 for a couple shots/tablets per visit.

Fortunately she's an indoor cat so after the first one I didn't go back for more.

Associate
That's a very odd setup FoxEye, are there no other local vets you can visit? My cats go for a yearly check-up, which is free, and then my vet quite happily lets me purchase Advocate and administer it myself. My cats are useless at catching anything and run away from any other cat, complete wusses, so I only dose them once a year. Been flea less since I've owned them. If they were eating other animals I'd dose more though due to the possibility of worms. Your vet sounds like they are out for one thing £££, well most are just yours is taking it to the extreme!

Associate
Animonda Carny 200g tins

Our cat loves it.

At the moment we have a mixture of things: Animonda Carny Senior (both flavours), Bozita chunks in jelly tetra packs (beef, chicken), and still some felix occasionally.

The Bozita stuff in tins is supposed to be better than the tetra packs but she likes them and they seem to be better than supermarket stuff.

Soldato
Meet Muffin

5acdfb95b472d59413a5909f42f9faa0

Gorgeous cat

Soldato
Foxeye, with regards to prescriptions, I do find it strange that your vet doesnt prescribe you with a anti worm/flea medicine. I suggest you change vets - seriously.

Administering worming spot on treatment is easy and doesnt need to be done by the vet. My vet charges £10 for a prescription and I use Advocate for worm/flea treatment.

If you want to boost the "real" meat content of your off-the-shelf foods (like whiskas), add some raw beef to food. I have been doing this for the last few years and my 2 are fine. I buy whiskas in jelly from a supermarket and buy frozen low fat beef from Iceland. I defrost the meat in small portions and mix it in with the Whiskas. Ratio: 50-50.

Soldato
My cat only eats Alaskan Pollock freshly cooked each meal time. She hates the dry stuff and all of the pouched foods I have given her. So now she gets fish and a raw egg each day and thrives on it.

Associate
Up till now we have been feeding our cats with most major brand cat food - after looking what is in them I have looked around for something more palatable -
After a bit of googling I came up with this and ordered a few packs

Animonda Carny 200g tins - The cats seem to like it and main thing is they don't wolf it down like supermarket stuff - It seems to fill them up quicker so these tins go that much further.

Reading some of the feedback (If you believe it) most say their cats look better for it.

Has anyone else tried it or can you recommend something else ?

dave

Carny is the best value "proper" cat food that has a good meat content and low carbs.

As it only comes in meat I buy it along with some Porta21 fish flavours in order to give my cat some variety.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Luna was on a diet when I picked her up so I've sort of stuck to that; she gets an egg-cup (one of the straight sided ones, not the small curved bottom ones) full of the Purina OM dry stuff and I mix in about a quarter of a packet of wet food for variety. She seems happy enough on that but I might investigate raw meat at some point as I imagine it's better for her.

Soldato
Luna was on a diet when I picked her up so I've sort of stuck to that; she gets an egg-cup (one of the straight sided ones, not the small curved bottom ones) full of the Purina OM dry stuff and I mix in about a quarter of a packet of wet food for variety. She seems happy enough on that but I might investigate raw meat at some point as I imagine it's better for her.

I cannot recommend enough that you do this. She might take to it straight away, she might be a PITA and not like it at all (we all like things that are bad for us and not the good stuff). You will see a marked difference in her coat, eyes and general well being if you persevere though.

Associate
Here we are 24 hours are snip and spay. Post-op they were bouncing off the walls and had a record 12 hour play session! Both very happy to be back and can't stop coming up to purr and rub against my wife and I. Hopefully the last op they'll have touch wood.

Photo_31_03_2015_14_02_21.jpg

Soldato
Here we are 24 hours are snip and spay. Post-op they were bouncing off the walls and had a record 12 hour play session! Both very happy to be back and can't stop coming up to purr and rub against my wife and I. Hopefully the last op they'll have touch wood.

yeah i dont know what thats about, our two boys were doing the wall of death around the house when they got home after their snip.. :D

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I cannot recommend enough that you do this. She might take to it straight away, she might be a PITA and not like it at all (we all like things that are bad for us and not the good stuff). You will see a marked difference in her coat, eyes and general well being if you persevere though.

Her coat is already very glossy but a more natural diet of 'real' meat can only do good things for her I guess.

She's actually had a some inadvertent treats over the last two weeks as well... Last weekend I left some bacon rind by the sink after having cooked and done the washing up which she helped herself to and the weekend before that I spooned off a load of fat, into a cup, from some mince I was cooking only for her to help herself to that later in the evening too. Both times I had forgotten about it :p

Soldato
So - I've not really been posting too much recenty here due to various reasons and I'll admit I'm not really one for these type of posts but . . . . . .

Yesterday my wife and I made one of the most difficult decisions we've ever had to make. Our little pussy cat "Spike" aged 18 and a half was put to sleep earlier today. We were with him all the way through and we were there looking into his eyes as the vet holding him done the task . . . . . .

Over the past few months we'd know he wouldn't last too much longer, he had dementia and arthritis in both his hips making every life quite difficult. He's last visited the vet in the new year who advised he had a tumour (probably cancerous) but he was far too old to operate and he advised the worst. Like I said I'm not one for these sort of posts but while some might say he's just a pet or just a cat you've no idea how much of a family member he's been since we rescued him aged 4weeks all those years ago. We're both really lost now without him and keep telling ourselves we've done the right thing:

RIP my little boy - hopefully he's no longer in pain and I'll raise a glass of whisky in his name every Easter from now on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom