The HTC One Hima (M9) Thread

Soldato
I think the main issue I have with the camera is the M7 had a great idea, **** pixel focus on the sensor, given sensors are so small it better to have bigger pixels.

Then the M8 made no improve, kept the same camera and so on IIRC, and tweaked the software, at this point Samsung, Sony and so on had moved onto bigger sensors aleibt with much larger pixel counts, and also dropped OIS which was a huge part of the M7 great low light experience.

Finally with the M9 they just gave up and stick in a random 20mp sensor, give up on everything they focused on just seems a little daft, still not OIS while everything else has it, even the dirt cheap Nexus 6.

They had great low light images, they just needed better detail and normal light pictures. The iPhone 6 is among the best and it has 8mp, the ideal thing to do would have been to stick with the 8-10mp range, upped the sensor size, included OIS.

Soldato
I think the main issue I have with the camera is the M7 had a great idea, **** pixel focus on the sensor, given sensors are so small it better to have bigger pixels.

Then the M8 made no improve, kept the same camera and so on IIRC, and tweaked the software, at this point Samsung, Sony and so on had moved onto bigger sensors aleibt with much larger pixel counts, and also dropped OIS which was a huge part of the M7 great low light experience.

Finally with the M9 they just gave up and stick in a random 20mp sensor, give up on everything they focused on just seems a little daft, still not OIS while everything else has it, even the dirt cheap Nexus 6.

They had great low light images, they just needed better detail and normal light pictures. The iPhone 6 is among the best and it has 8mp, the ideal thing to do would have been to stick with the 8-10mp range, upped the sensor size, included OIS.

It's exactly what they should have done mate, sadly they didn't.

However the front facing ultra pixel camera is a smart move indeed. There's certainly a home for it there.

I suspect they may revisit the idea of ultrapixel on the rear of the camera next year, at least I hope so and they look to up it as you said! I'm looking forward to trying some other conditions and seeing what the shots come out like. Tempted to nip onto the balcony to test some night shots but it's baltic outside!

Caporegime
lol that is what my one s was like for the camera when it came to HDR VS no HDR, pretty poor imo

Saying that, the only phone which I have seen take really good HDR shots all round is with the nexus 5 and 6. Haven't seen many from the gs6 yet though....

Soldato
I just wish they had the "Uh-oh" program over here :p

Yeah, that would have been nice not to worry.

Yup, they went full retard on the camera. From one extreme to the other.

We can only wait till next year to see if they've found a happy medium.

Need some nuts.

lol that is what my one s was like for the camera when it came to HDR VS no HDR, pretty poor imo

Saying that, the only phone which I have seen take really good HDR shots all round is with the nexus 5 and 6. Haven't seen many from the gs6 yet though....

S6 HDR is really good from my quick testing, real time HDR also helps you decide if its actual needed or not, must have feature now I think.

Soldato

The fact that you need HDR for a good shot of anything is fail for moving objects.

Caporegime
The fact that you need HDR for a good shot of anything is fail for moving objects.

With my n5 and HDR+, none of my photos ever come out blurry (unless the lighting is very poor combined with fast movement, which most phones struggle with any way), even when taking photos of cats, which as you can imagine is a nightmare to do! :p Although since the lollipop update, it seems to take longer to process the image/stutter at the very end but I can't say it has had much, if any impact on taking clear shots.

Even when not using my one s with hdr mode, it still took blurry shots and at the time, it was the best for shutter speed etc. iirc. When using HDR mode, it wasn't anywhere as quick as the N5 though so the lack of OIS didn't help matters at all.

The n5 can take decent shots without HDR+ but you need to faff about with the touch to focus to get the exposure right a lot more, when using HDR+, you can literally just point and shoot and get a good photo, it might not be as detailed but the lack of noise personally appeals to me more.

I think google's HDR+ mode works a bit differently to the standard HDR mode of other devices though.

Only thing that I really miss is my slow motion feature!

Caporegime
Sticking with the N5, at least for a few more months... might get the gs6 once the prices drop a bit but I kind of want to wait and see what moto release + the next nexus device.

Not many reasons for me to move to the gs 6 aside from the screen and camera, the finger print scanner is pretty cool too.

Soldato
Just ordered one of these tonight. Should be here on Tuesday to replace my nexus 5.

Didn't get too bad a deal. Unlimited minutes and texts with 7gb data and free Spotify for 38 quid a month.

Just wish Tuesday would hurry up now.

Soldato
Good to see a few more units being shifted. On the battery life....I've finished each day so far with loads of battery left. 40% with an hour of using the speakers, an hour or so connected via Bluetooth to the car and probably a couple of hours use on Wi-Fi for internet. Plus the usual time messaging, faffing with settings and maybe half an hour of calls. I'd say battery life was better than my M8. The audio also sounds clearer to me when using it with my BoomBass speaker. I'll try and put the phone through its paces a bit more today, I need to start Monument Valley so we'll see what effect that has. Still really happy with it.

Soldato
Good to see a few more units being shifted. On the battery life....I've finished each day so far with loads of battery left. 40% with an hour of using the speakers, an hour or so connected via Bluetooth to the car and probably a couple of hours use on Wi-Fi for internet. Plus the usual time messaging, faffing with settings and maybe half an hour of calls. I'd say battery life was better than my M8. The audio also sounds clearer to me when using it with my BoomBass speaker. I'll try and put the phone through its paces a bit more today, I need to start Monument Valley so we'll see what effect that has. Still really happy with it.

Excellent to hear mate...I'm seeing very good performance from the battery also. Certainly getting through the day no problem at all but I definitely will need to charge every night.

I listen to around 1hr 30mins of Music/Podcasts per day through my commute etc...usual calls...texts...browsing...app usage included. Last night I went to see Furious 7 at midnight and from my time of 7am off charge to 3am I still had around 15% left which was pretty decent in my eyes.

I've been reading some of the S6 reviews and the one thing it's lacking is in the battery department so I'm glad I don't have that issue.

Back
Top Bottom