Rear view mirror repair/adhesive

Don
Yup.

Do it once, properly.

Clean the area very well with nail poilish remover, both on the glass and on the mirror.

Halfords sell the adhesive.

Sometimes, it's better to do it when it's hot/cold in temperature, read the packet.

After fixing the old Fiesta we had with this, it was the strongest part of the car :p

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Have you got an AutoGlass depot near you? Hang around there at closing time when they're loading stuff on their vans, offer one of them some beer money in return for having the mirror stuck back on. Bit more expensive than buying the adhesive yourself, but their stuff is amazing and they do that thing day in day out so know exactly what they're doing. Did it for my old car and they were more than happy to oblige.

Associate

don't buy this, it is worse than a chocolate fire-guard, I used it and the mirror fell off after 3 days.

Use the Loctite Glass Bond

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/adhesives/loctite-glass-bond

Works great, used it after using the Loctite 319. In fact it worked so well that when I hit my head on the mirror a few weeks ago it actually pulled a chunk of the windscreen away rather than just falling off.

Soldato
Was looking at something in the footwell and hit my head on the mirror coming back up.

Knocked the mirror off but it also took a 2 inch chunk of windscreen with it, leaving just the laminated layer in the centre of the chip.

Had to get it replaced and even the guy from Autoglass was surprised at how strong the glue was

That's like getting too strong a fuse (too highly rated).. you end up replacing the expensive bit of the system instead of the cheap bit. Sounds like a good reason to avoid that stuff, paradoxically!

Associate
Whatever you do, don't use Araldite or any other DIY epoxy resin.
I saw two cars in the 1990's where the owner had used this and it had cracked the screen. Not sure if it got hot when curing or what. One was in a scrapyard and the other was a friends Metro.

Soldato
Whatever you do, don't use Araldite or any other DIY epoxy resin.
I saw two cars in the 1990's where the owner had used this and it had cracked the screen. Not sure if it got hot when curing or what. One was in a scrapyard and the other was a friends Metro.

Epoxies can get hot but the screen would only have cracked if there had already been a chip on it.

(IE it was going to go sooner or later anyway)

An epoxy wouldn't be any hotter than, say, a sunny day.

Back
Top Bottom