BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Some ISP's do still use "engineer" installs, in these cases all the "engineer" will do is possibly change the master phone socket for a newer type essentially, then plug the DSL modem in for you and test it - all internal.

Or they'll send some bloke from Kelly who will mess up your nicely done internal wiring :(.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
That looks slightly different Mr marvelous, Google image search hg635 huawei and the first hit is it.

It's a good stable fast fully featured router which isn't worth replacing :) The modem is good too, very stable and I find it performs the same as my unlocked huawei hg612 openreach modem.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Typical BT billing, cancelled my Infinity 2 package but then un-cancelled well within the two week call off period. Noticed today, they still charged me the £30 fee for cancelling on the monthly bill.

Lengthy call on hold later, full refund. I often wonder how many times they get away with things like this.

...and still get away with!

Just checked this months bill, yes you guessed, still no £30 refund!

EDIT: Live chat this morning and I've now been issued with a reference number to confirm I will at last receive the £30 refund...

Soldato
One last question guys.

When my fiber goes live do I need to get in touch with TalkTalk to disable DLM or anything else? basically I don't want any junk running in the background that's unnecessary like DLM as the cabinet is literally about 20 meters from my house. Anything else I should know when setting up the TalkTalk router for the fastest speeds?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
One last question guys.

When my fiber goes live do I need to get in touch with TalkTalk to disable DLM or anything else? basically I don't want any junk running in the background that's unnecessary like DLM as the cabinet is literally about 20 meters from my house. Anything else I should know when setting up the TalkTalk router for the fastest speeds?

DLM is auto. The setting can't be changed by TT.

Soldato
oh dear me - My MP better get something sorted fast as I'll NOT be happy if that is the case!! March 2016 is just ridiculous when it was announced as March 2014 by 2 local MP's!

Update today

Your address is served by PCP 12 ( copper cabinet) which is part of BT’s commercial roll out and is not therefore covered by the Digital Scotland programme.

As you pointed out the new DSLAM( large cabinet) providing fibre has been stood since May 2013. The extended period of time to achieve fibre connection is the result of a number of very difficult issues. Unlike the original copper network each Fibre cabinet requires an independent power supply. In this case this has proved very difficult. Original records showed that power was available and therefore the cabinet was built and stood. Power records however were not accurate and finding and resolving the power situation has taken longer than anyone would have wanted. Each copper cabinet requires to then be linked to the DSLAM and needs to have sufficient physical capacity to do so. In some cases they require a “reshell” to extend this capacity and this was the case for PCP 12.

However there is progress and I have good news.

A solution to the power problem has now been found and Openreach have found a way to compress the copper connection ties avoiding a reshell for PCP12. Physical engineering works should be complete in the next two weeks. There is then a period of testing and commissioning and systems work required. Openreach are required by regulation to inform all ISPs simultaneously that the cabinet is ready to accept orders.

My estimate, not withstanding, any further issues which emerge during the next phase of work described above , will be that fibre broadband will be likely to be available to order around May 7th.

I have asked for a weekly update and will in turn keep you informed on progress towards that date.

Thanks for contacting us and your continued patience.

Very good and informative response after I contacted Bill Murphy - this response came from Liz Mallinson who I believe is Business Development Director, Next Generation Access Scotland, BT Group

Soldato
Happiest day of my life, ITS BACK!!!!!

4276994318.png

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Just looked online and it appears BT have been charging me £20 for BT Infinity 2 (£8 discount when they price matched Plusnet) and an additional full whack of £29.46 for another phantom BT infinity package.

My own fault for not checking closely (divorce!) but this has been going on since September. Chances they'll refund me? :rolleyes:

xYY8GUD.png

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I spoke to India BT this morning. £191 to be refunded :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
How bad is DLM on fiber guys? We're getting it on the 18th of April (goes live midnight) but we're going to be painting the whole house around that time so stuff will get switched off and disconnected.

Would I have to ring my ISP (TalkTalk) to get them to reset it? If I do have to get a re-set, how long would the internet be down for?

Soldato
How bad is DLM on fiber guys? We're getting it on the 18th of April (goes live midnight) but we're going to be painting the whole house around that time so stuff will get switched off and disconnected.

Would I have to ring my ISP (TalkTalk) to get them to reset it? If I do have to get a re-set, how long would the internet be down for?

It won't happen at midnight, it's not completely automated. It's queued and does involve some manual input by OR. Mine switched about 12.30pm lunch time.

I wouldn't worry if it's only to be switched off once. If it does you'll have to wait for it to retrain itself over a few weeks.

Soldato
TalkTalk rep told me over the phone that it'll be live at midnight. :confused:

What would happen if I unplugged the new router for a couple of days then plugged it back in say on the 20th? Would that affect speeds at all?

Back
Top Bottom