Best Instant Coffee..?

Associate
So I'm trying to save a little money, and as much as it pains me, I've figured £2.20 in Costa once or twice a day doesn't do much for the wallet. I'm going to switch to poverty coffee for a while, but just wondered if anyone has any recommendations? Kenco Millicano seems to be pretty good stuff, but my knowledge about instant coffee goes as far as the coffee aisle in Tesco :D

Cheers! :D

Soldato
Minging cack the lot of it. Get a single person sized cafetiere for convenience and then whatever ready ground you enjoy.

This. You can buy perfectly drinkable ground coffee from the pound shop/B&M/Home Bargains & get an aeropress/french press. A lot better than the instant bilge the big food corporations churn out these days. Just as quick to make too.

Permabanned
I find Millicano to be decent enough for an instant or Douwe Egberts Dark Roast.

That said I bought an Aeropress last week and it's fairly quick to make a much better cup of coffee. It does take a little longer but still done within 5 minutes which isn't long at all. :)

Soldato
A french press and a bag of half-decent ground coffee from a supermarket will pay for itself within 1, or at most 2 bags, compared to Costa, and will be miles better than instant.

Soldato
Just as quick to make too.

I can understand the lack of love for instant coffee but that statement simply isn't true no french press or aero press etc is as quick and simple as instant. I agree any method of making a cuppa from grounds is infinitely nicer but it certainly isn't instant and always involves more cleaning hassle than a teaspoon popped in the dish washer!

My favourite instant is cafe direct although it seems a little hard to find in the super markets these days i have even had to resort to the fair trade section of oxfam which annoys me as I hate the place!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll stick to the Millicano and try out the cafetiere we have at home and see if it's worth the additional effort, as it's not something I use really :)

Soldato
Nescafe Azera is much nicer than Kenco Millicano for me.

I have a can of Millicano at work for the rare occasions I have a coffee at work. Tried Azera after a recommendation from my brother and I won't be buying Millicano again.

Soldato
yup french press + cans of illy beans at £5 each. You get over two cups per tin so you're already saving money.

I don't know what it is with freeze dried instant coffee - it makes me gag and leaves a really weird coated throat feeling (probably slightly allergic to something).

Soldato
yup french press + cans of illy beans at £5 each. You get over two cups per tin so you're already saving money.

I don't know what it is with freeze dried instant coffee - it makes me gag and leaves a really weird coated throat feeling (probably slightly allergic to something).

Look at the difference between a cup that's been used mostly for instant coffee, and one that's been used mostly for ground coffee...

It's not a pretty picture! :p

Back
Top Bottom