Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Considering a step up from my Gaggia MDF grinder and was after some recommendations.

Budget probably 3-400 but happy to spend less if it will get me a good jump in quality from the MDF. Ideally need to be able to use it both for my Gaggia Classic and for filter (V60 and Chemex).

Cheers!

Associate
Considering a step up from my Gaggia MDF grinder and was after some recommendations.

Budget probably 3-400 but happy to spend less if it will get me a good jump in quality from the MDF. Ideally need to be able to use it both for my Gaggia Classic and for filter (V60 and Chemex).

Cheers!

I've got no experience of the Gaggia but for me, in that price range, there was only one choice - the Eureka Mignon. I upgraded from an old Krups grinder. The Mignon is very compact and both kitchen and wife friendly. It's built like a tank and offers easy adjustment. "Clumping" is a bit of an issue with the grinds but it breaks up easily enough.

I have no experience of the more expensive grinders but all others were just too big or too ugly (or both!). Gaggia Classic and Eureka Mignon are a very popular combination.

Soldato
I've got no experience of the Gaggia but for me, in that price range, there was only one choice - the Eureka Mignon. I upgraded from an old Krups grinder. The Mignon is very compact and both kitchen and wife friendly. It's built like a tank and offers easy adjustment. "Clumping" is a bit of an issue with the grinds but it breaks up easily enough.

I have no experience of the more expensive grinders but all others were just too big or too ugly (or both!). Gaggia Classic and Eureka Mignon are a very popular combination.
I'd agree with that. The Mignon is a cracking grinder, well worth the money.

Man of Honour
I forgot to post this earlier.

Oops

Today is day 1 of the 2015 World Barista Championship, coming to you live from Seattle.

There is a live stream for it this year. Available here.

Dan Leech is a good chap and has converted the important times to proper UK time. ;) They're here. Also contains links to the individual days and other info.

Once again, Sprudge are doing some live coverage via @SprudgeLive

Last edited:
Soldato

im also a mignon owner and its a little tank, great consistent grinds and over at coffee forums it was rated on par with grinders over twice its price.

also looks much nicer then a lot of the coffee grinders imo due to the square shape... seems to fit in the kitchen a bit better next to my cherub.

Associate
I am in the market for making my coffee taste a lot better. What is the current pro-choice in the £250 and cheaper market?

I've read a few pages back and seen that a lot are using the Gaggia Classic, but I seen one poster saying the new ones are poorer build quality. That has thrown my assurance off :D.

Associate
RI8161 is the model number for the older classic, but looks like they are in short supply and quite expensive. They used to regularly go new for £175, dropping down below £150 occasionally but that looks like second hand money now.

The newer model has indeed changed quite a bit, not sure what the best bet is there.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmmmm, I am stuck for what to go for. Might just end up getting a De'longhi as they seem quite popular. Did see some reviews claiming it was mediocre and comparable to a 'free cup of coffee' machine you see in shops though.

Associate
I am in the market for making my coffee taste a lot better. What is the current pro-choice in the £250 and cheaper market?

I've read a few pages back and seen that a lot are using the Gaggia Classic, but I seen one poster saying the new ones are poorer build quality. That has thrown my assurance off :D.

2nd hand Classic and a half decent grinder? Don't underestimate the importance of a decent grinder. I picked up an immaculate Classic locally for £80 which would leave plenty of spare change for an Iberital MC2 or something similar. Alternatively, look up user "gaggiamanualservice" on Coffee Forums - he picks up and refurbs them for around £150 with new parts / seals where appropriate.

Associate
Cheers for the info, had a jaunt about but had no luck unfortunately :(. May just have to settle on the De'Longhi and hope that me knowing no better doesn't affect it lol

Soldato
11176576_1586981911519485_1459430898_n.jpg

Pretty darn good for a free bag of beans, still trying to get my brewing right for it (adjusting grind, brew time etc.) but even with a rough set up it's great. Spending a lot of time (and money) in a local coffee shop can pay off, normally I'd pay £7-£15 for a 250g bag of beans, getting it free for being a loyal customer is ace. :D

Soldato
Just ordered some of the Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Konga Sedie. First time trying a fruity flavored coffee so i cannot wait to try. (Will be using an Aeropress).

I love the more "exotic/funky/fruity" coffees more than the standard "chocolaty/nutty" flavoured coffees.

These always taste really nice via a pour over method (my favourite being Chemex) but when they have cooled just slightly from initial pouring "hot" that's when I think they taste the best and the flavours really shine.

When they are edging towards cold the flavour is amazing but I find them just too intense for me (worth trying it as a cold brew as an experiment)

Soldato
So, I've given my new Minipresso a quick go and here are my thoughts...

Firstly, this is a portable coffee maker, and in no way is it meant to replace or be as good as a home/pro espresso machine. Rather than having a valve to release the pressure, this requires manually pumping, so as the pressure is only applied when you pump, it may not be consistant. I also believe that the "crema" may be helped along with the use of a device to pressurise the basket, like you get in the cheaper home espresso machines. This isn't a big problem for me, I just want quick, easy, and most importantly, tasty coffee when I'm away from home.
If you have a decent grinder and espresso machine at home, this won't match it, so let's not try to compare them.

Quick review: I'm impressed with it and the coffee that it produces. I'll certainly be using it when I'm at work and when I go away.

More in-depth review: Here come the pics....

So, this is it unboxed. You get the Minipresso and a small manual which guides you through the different components, and the using and cleaning of it.
uc

Close-up of the Minipresso. It is plastic, but I think it looks very nice and it feels solid and well made. It's about 8 inches tall and weighs around 500g.
uc

When taken apart, the Minipresso breaks down into these individual components. Starting at the top and going clockwise:
1- The main body of the device, which includes the pump mechanism. The pump is the circular section which, when you unlock it, pops out to allow you to pump it.
2- This is the hot water reservoir which is the bottom part in the complete Minipresso pic above, but which will be at the top when it's in use.
3- This is the cup for the end product, and it has a rubber grip around the outside for easy holding.
4- This is the coffee scoop.
5- This is what the ground coffee goes in, and this then sits on top of the main body (No.1).
6- This part is then inverted and sits on top of No.5 on the main body, and it screws in to keep it tight. The bottom of this section has the exit hole for the coffee.
uc

This is the end result. It's probably best not to judge it just from the photo for a coupe of reasons:
Firstly, it was my first attempt and whilst the first few pumps get the water into the coffee chamber, the following 15-20 pumps require a small amount of muscle work (I may be a bit of a wimp). I used all the water in the chamber which is probably more than should be used for 7g of coffee.
Secondly, the grind wasn't perfect. I was using my Porlex Mini hand grinder which I only ever use for my Aeropress. I did adjust the grind setting but I could see that it wasn't as fine as it should be. I will be trying again this evening using my Mignon at home.
Thirdly, I wanted to see the espresso so I didn't use the included cup, and all I had was a tall glass. You can see that there is no "crema" in the middle of the glass, this is because the espresso had to drop about 8 inches into the glass.

What did I think of the end result? I used Brazial Fazenda Inglaterra from Has Bean. It was a little thin, and it didn't have as much body as I'd expect or like, but it was certainly quite drinkable. I didn't preheat the glass prior to pumping, but it was still hot to drink.
uc

This is the coffee section after use. I didn't tamp down the coffee before use, but I did gently tap it a couple of times just to level the grounds off.
uc

Cleaning was quick and easy, just rinsing out these two sections and also the hot water chamber.

Conclusion.
I like it. Although it's plastic (which may affect the heat retention), it looks good and feels well made. I'm not concerned that it may not strictly be an espresso maker (whether it gets to the correct pressue, I don't know), but the coffee it makes is more than worth the small effort required when out and about. It is comparable to the Handpresso (which I currently don't own), but at about £30, it is quite a lot cheaper.
As I said, I'll be trying again later with a decent grind. I'll pre-heat everything, and will measure the extraction weight and temperature. I'll update if there is anything to add.

Man of Honour
That's interesting. I wonder if there's going to be some of them at the London Coffee Festival later this week.

Would love to have a look/play with one.

Back
Top Bottom