I just don't understand some people

Man of Honour
Had an experience the other way around today - only a small thing but kind of surprised me - approaching (and first at) a place where the path narrowed when a typical looking "yob" on a bmx came speeding up could have just carried on walking out in front of him as would have been my "right" forcing him to slow down/stop but thought it wouldn't really inconvenience me to step to one side for a moment instead and got a very pleasant "thank you very much" in response which I completely wasn't expecting.

Associate
That must sting a little. You should have called the police.

:D :D

Pathetic chav vermin. It would have annoyed me too, but I suppose it's best to just ignore and move on.

Primark in Reading has some proper uneducated folk.
Once when I was in there to buy some cheap socks, there was an assistant whose name was Rocksan. I can only assume that her parents couldn't spell Roxanne.

I have seen similar. Chelsee etc. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Associate
There is a hell of a lot of scummy people in the country, that is undeniable.

I was in the Liverpool and some 16/17 year old lad, got all angry with me because I told him (quite nicely actually) to stop ringing my Front doorbell for no damn reason. He called me a Polish **** and told me to go back home. I was flabbergasted, I am from Cambridge, born and raided as were both my parents haha.

One thing that also always stuck with me is the amount of police needed on the streets in Liverpool (and probably most Cities) on a Friday and Saturday night just to stop the idiots from killing each other.

Soldato
You will find even gypsies have some respect. This sounded more like some Jeremy Kyle's benefit scum.

Nah that wasn't supposed to come across as saying gypsies are all scum. I know a fair few and they're good people really despite the illegal things just the ones in that area from my experience are scum.

Caporegime
You've clearly never been to any big city in France/Spain/Italy then. That sort of thing has happened to me far more in places like Barcelona, Paris, Milan etc than it does in the UK.

Lived 2 months in Paris and never happene. Sure plenty of people busking and homeless begging in the poor areas but not 14-25 chaos harassing you and following you down the street trying to intimidate you.

Caporegime
You've clearly never been to any big city in France/Spain/Italy then. That sort of thing has happened to me far more in places like Barcelona, Paris, Milan etc than it does in the UK.

Rubbish, there is nowhere near the level of casual aggression/violence in these cities, I have travelled and been out extensively in all of them.

One thing also being overlooked here is Britains alcoholism and binge-drinking... we are one of the worst in the world for this. We can to take our drink, and then we get lairy and aggressive. Go out for a night out in any other EU city and you will see nothing like you do in the UK in any party zone.

People have self deprecating bias. If you've lived your life in one place you'll be well aware of its negatives. Then when they go away on holiday that other place seems like paradise. No doubt the UK has a fair share of crud, but it's a relatively benign place to live. There are many other countries in the world that, although may seem nice, I really wouldn't want to be in their roughest parts. Which alludes to my statement earlier, if you're not poor you're alright, you can segregate yourself from that in those countries.

Or maybe some people are better travelled than you are and can really judge by their experiences? The "roughest parts of the UK" are not even applicable there, ALL of the UK has the propensity to be rough... the "roughest parts" are simply almost no-go zones vs the other parts.

Where have you travelled and lived?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you read what I posted again, you'll see I wasn't talking about casual violence, I was talking about people approaching you in the street and begging for various things. I honestly don't see how you can be so well travelled and still think that sort of thing happens more in England than the rest of Europe - in fact I'd say I experienced more of it during a weekend in Barcelona more than in a lifetime of living in London.

Caporegime
If you read what I posted again, you'll see I wasn't talking about casual violence, I was talking about people approaching you in the street and begging for various things. I honestly don't see how you can be so well travelled and still think that sort of thing happens more in England than the rest of Europe - in fact I'd say I experienced more of it during a weekend in Barcelona more than in a lifetime of living in London.

I don't think anyone else in the thread was talking about just begging aside from you, so maybe I didn't click on to that. I would rather have beggars asking me for things than psychos on the street or a night out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rubbish, there is nowhere near the level of casual aggression/violence in these cities, I have travelled and been out extensively in all of them.

One thing also being overlooked here is Britains alcoholism and binge-drinking... we are one of the worst in the world for this. We can to take our drink, and then we get lairy and aggressive. Go out for a night out in any other EU city and you will see nothing like you do in the UK in any party zone.

Or maybe some people are better travelled than you are and can really judge by their experiences? The "roughest parts of the UK" are not even applicable there, ALL of the UK has the propensity to be rough... the "roughest parts" are simply almost no-go zones vs the other parts.

Where have you travelled and lived?

Funnily enough, it looks like casual aggression in your post.

Of course many people have travelled more than me, they have more than you too, so it's kind of silly point that you can't make. Does it mean our opinions are invalid? You have no idea of my experiences and therefore can't comment, I think you're just bias. The whole discussion is subjective therefore. You aren't more correct, you just have your opinion.

I for one am very well travelled. I have seen decadence. I have also been to the worst hell holes of the world,the true pits of society. It made me appreciate how safe and how good I have it in the UK. If you feel you have it good in another country then good for you, it's a lucky position to be in your life. I simply don't count a bunch of mouthy youths as a significant threat or bother in my life. There are worse things that could be at stake, yet fortunately they aren't.

Caporegime
Funnily enough, it looks like casual aggression in your post.

Dear Lord... not sure if serious, but sadly presuming you are.

Lets just agree to disagree as I am really not going to waste time replying further to someone so quick to get himself in a tizzy.

PS: I was only talking about EU and first-world countries, not the "worst hell holes in the world", which the UK is obviously much better than.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think anyone else in the thread was talking about just begging aside from you, so maybe I didn't click on to that. I would rather have beggars asking me for things than psychos on the street or a night out.

D.P. mentioned it, hence my reply. By no means am I saying that England is perfect, but I definitely get harrassed by beggars and general street scum far more abroad then I do back home. Only last weekend a guy asked me for a cigarette, and started trying to search me when I said I didn't have any - nothing like that has ever happened to me in England.

Back
Top Bottom