Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

alx

alx

Soldato
BG Group isn't British Gas anymore

British Gas are owned by Centrica now but I guess there must be a good amount of old British gas ones that moved to BG group? or did they all move to centrica?

Upstream workers basically went to BG Group, midstream/downstream went to British Gas/Centrica (in a nutshell).

Guy I worked with at BG had been at the company for 30+ years and was at British Gas before it demerged.

Soldato
BP also up to 470 today. I sold a load more

Now waiting for the next opportunity to get back in, hopefully before 7th May (Ex div).

Yep glad I held not just sold at 450. My order cleared at 470 and its come down all day, maybe I should have rebought just now. Ive kept some back and I own CNA and BG anyhow, I think CNA is probably a buy especially if Labour dont win as that'll raise it some Im guessing

So if BG has a certain offer at 13.50 why has it also dropped today, is that a buying opportunity. Seems too easy but I have seen it before, mergers can be barred so theres risk.
In fact theres a whole industry where they trade arbitrage risk between two shares that in theory are linked, like BP london vs BP NYC
Its how the first big bust /bailout occurred late ninites, the risk blew up on them

Seems playing big shares once again the easiest game in town. This BG deal raises the price on every oil stock seems like. We are walking in giants footsteps

http://linkis.com/www.theguardian.com/Pt8dE

alx

alx

Soldato
Yep glad I held not just sold at 450. My order cleared at 470 and its come down all day, maybe I should have rebought just now. Ive kept some back and I own CNA and BG anyhow, I think CNA is probably a buy especially if Labour dont win as that'll raise it some Im guessing

So if BG has a certain offer at 13.50 why has it also dropped today, is that a buying opportunity. Seems too easy but I have seen it before, mergers can be barred so theres risk.
In fact theres a whole industry where they trade arbitrage risk between two shares that in theory are linked, like BP london vs BP NYC
Its how the first big bust /bailout occurred late ninites, the risk blew up on them

Seems playing big shares once again the easiest game in town. This BG deal raises the price on every oil stock seems like. We are walking in giants footsteps

http://linkis.com/www.theguardian.com/Pt8dE

Most of the offer (~£10 out of the £13.50) is being paid in Shell shares rather than cash which adds extra risk.

Caporegime

yup the price reflects the market's view of the chance of the merger going through

nope different sort of arbitrage, it was nothing to do with arbing between UK equities and ADRs which is mostly about execution risk and simply being the fastest

Soldato
Just so you know, BG Group and British Gas/Centrica are different companies. They demerged back in 1997.

I know but they have all the various companies (BG Group, British Gas/CEntrica) as he worked for most of them during the demegers and was in all the various share save schemes.

alx

alx

Soldato
I know but they have all the various companies (BG Group, British Gas/CEntrica) as he worked for most of them during the demegers and was in all the various share save schemes.

Ah fair enough :).

I work for BG so slightly worrying times as to what will happen to everyone when we get taken over by Shell :( (although it's a around a year away until it actually happens).

Associate
New to this, have been looking at plus500, am I better off using someone else online? There's some specific companies I want to invest in, and a few I'd only want to keep for a few days...

Soldato
So UKOG.
Been on the news all even in so I expect some major ramping tomorrow. Could be worth a quick in and out

yup agreed. if you see my posts in this thread a while back, I've been in UKOG and SOLO for a wee while now and today was a damn good day.

Huge rise followed by a retrace, but still a good amount above what it started the day on. I hope with the media coverage for a good end to the week!

Caporegime
yup agreed. if you see my posts in this thread a while back, I've been in UKOG and SOLO for a wee while now and today was a damn good day.

Huge rise followed by a retrace, but still a good amount above what it started the day on. I hope with the media coverage for a good end to the week!

5th sep you said result due in 2wks. Why the delay ?

Will be interesting at 8am

Associate
So UKOG.
Been on the news all even in so I expect some major ramping tomorrow. Could be worth a quick in and out

The numbers being reported are massively inflated, so while it may still be a significant discovery, the BBC sticking 100 billion barrels in their headline will have been a big cause of the jump in share price yesterday.

I think people have since realised/been informed that the actual oil in place will be far lower, not to mention only a small % of that will actually be recovered, so the initial knee-jerk reaction is reversing slightly.

Caporegime
Yeah seems that way.

Whole market up today and ftse all time high ( although not really that high when you take into inflation). Thinking of IAG as hedge against oil dropping again. Although they've gone from 590 to 617 whilst I've been thinking about it (

I imagine the election could be an opportunity for buying if we get a bit of fear

Soldato
Got butthurt by Telecom Plus today.

I used to hold them way back, amazing growth and bad news on that today I guess?

Close above 800 would be positive and 700 was a ceiling for a while which could figure now

SXX looks good, take profits if it goes under 13 maybe. CNR big up today, sell profits if it dont hurdle 70 as I presume it goes back down. Volume of trading on recovery doesnt appear enough yet
pfc I think is hold, just as well as i did not buy the lows
pmo i think will be more flat then positive, just my guesses on how it 'looks' I havent checked news and figures

Caporegime
surprised this hasn't been posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32406056

(unfortunately much like their technology editor being a bit clueless when it comes to technology their economics editor seems a bit confused by futures exchanges and is talking about driving the price of a 'stock' down and buying 'orders' back????)

"The allegation is that he was sending what are known as spoof orders to sell futures contracts in the US stock market. He would drive the price of the stock down... then withdraw the sell orders, but the price would already have fallen.

"He would then buy the orders back and guarantee a profit for himself. According the charge sheet, he did this thousands and thousands of times over many years.

"This is an amazing insight into the way computers have completely transformed the stock market business."

Sounds like he was a few years too late to the party, quite a few people were doing this on Eurex back in the early 00s including 'the flipper' who allegedly made around 50 million a year from the bund, putting spoof orders one side of the order book and leaving resting limit orders on the other side... fortunately for them the German authorities don't seem to have bothered taking any action though plenty of locals and options market makers in London were getting very annoyed by it at the time

Soldato
guys,

my other half has been offered this today, not sure if we should invest? seems like a decent enough company to invest into as such but not dont much research yet. The shares only take place in three years.

DSC_1089 by regy53, on Flickr

Associate
That looks like a good deal to me, at worst you will only miss out on the meager interest rates in the bank as you can get the money back as cash, if you need the cash during the period you can always take it out.

Back
Top Bottom