ML 110 Server kicking about - what to do

Soldato
Hi all,

I have an old ML110 Q6600 / 8GB box kicking around with 6 bays. It has a dual HP NIC and one onboard, but nothing in the way of RAID.

I was thinking about sticking a good H/W RAID Card in and 6 x 1 or 6 x 2 TB drives to act as storage. Not sure then really what to do with it software wise. windows? vmware? FreeNAS?

Suggestions welcome

Soldato
If it's just for home storage (and nothing mission critical), forget the raid card, fire it up, install Windows and grab yourself a copy of StableBit DrivePool and have a nice, large, pooled storage drive made up of all your drives of varying sizes.

If there's some stuff you don't want to lose (like Photos), set up your Photos folder to be duplicated across multiple disks.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, all good ideas. The XPenology stuff looks good but can't find any English guides on their site...Would I still be best with H/W Raid there? I guess I can team the NIC too which would be good...

Caporegime
You'll be fine without hardware RAID for XPenology. And yes, you can run a linux NIC Bond in XPenology/Synology. I've got an old Lacie Ethernet Disk with an upgraded ITX motherboard running with dual bonded gigabit NICs. I'm getting a good 200MB/s out of it.

http://www.xpenology.nl/tutorials/

These guys have English guides (not that you really need a guide, just a relevant boot image and OS package).

Back
Top Bottom