Does anyone use a soundcard anymore?

Associate
OP
So I know games use EAX (well some) but why would I need a soundcard for gaming if I am using optical headset and HDMI (for when i use 5.1 in front of the TV) This only applies to analogue signal does it not?

Why does AMD not have any sound software? It has driver but no control software outside of windows that I can see?

AMG

AMG

Soldato
Yes..

Tired using onboard sound once I built the machine in my sig but I landed up buying a X-FI Z wouldn't kick it out for nothing. Makes so much difference even with Edifers.

I also have AKGs powered by the on board amp it has.

Associate
I do, why wouldn't I? :D

The onboard sound from my motherboard isn't good enough, so I have a Creative SB Recon3D driving Audioengine A5 speakers, or my Grados.

Associate
I've used a soundcard for as long as I've had a PC but in my latest build (Asrock X99 WS) have been using the onboard since I couldn't carry over my PCI Xonar. It's pretty good and if I wasn't so bothered would stick to using it. No EMI and audio quality is easily on par with a budget soundcard. The main problem is low amplification and not being able to drive decent headphones. I'll get an Essence at some point but I can make do with it for now.

Soldato
Unless you are using a digital out (to an amp/receiver etc), then you will want a soundcard for decent audio quality. You really notice it when going back from having one.

Even with digital out the card may have additional surround or effect (EAX etc) features that are desirable.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, I'm currently using a Asus Xonar HDAV, HDMI audio ftw, got mine set to PCM 5.1 24bit 192khz.

Much better than my previous Xonar (D2X)

Back
Top Bottom