BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Got told the i8 waiting list is pretty huge so I will be waiting a while to test drive one :(

On the upside, got the i3 for 2 days instead of 1. Initial thoughts? Weird! I like the cool technology feel to it though and it is pretty funky and seems well built. The steering in motion is weighty and throughout the whole seat and wheel you can feel the road surface.

I don't like the lack of noise, it makes my ears pop and the re-gen braking gives me the feeling of slight nausea, it feels rubber band like when it activates and de-activates. Power is plenty, it picks up speed real quick and traction control even lit up a couple of times when accelerating from standstill.

I don't like the position of the transmission control stalk, it's awkward to press the start/stop and park buttons. I also don't like the door window controls, you need T-Rex hands to operate them comfortably (see pic below).

Boot space in the back seems fine, "frunk" space is luls though.

The rear doors have no windows that can go down and can only open if the front doors are open.

I like the upgraded HK audio in this one, sound is plenty detailed and loud and bluetooth streaming works brilliantly.

Gonna drive it some more but overall I'm impressed with the tech and the performance and toys but I would definitely need to make big adjustments to how I approach driving an EV on a daily basis I reckon. By the time I get one I am sure the tech will have matured too.

A26A3704.jpg

A26A3707.jpg

A26A3696.jpg

A26A3715.jpg

11140069_10155468795630188_5069848035359302902_n.jpg

Man of Honour
It's a weird combination of a lot going on yet at the same time there's a lot of minimalism too. the stylng is busy but there are very few buttons around the dash or knobs. The lack of centre dash console probably amplifies that more.

Been driving it more since my last post and I've gotten used to the regenerative braking system, now I think. You get into the swing of not using the brake pedal but simply allowing the regen to brake for you instead and I've found myself lifting off the throttle a while before a stop and the car gently cruises to a stop all by itself the perfect distance from the car in front or lights etc.

Loads of people looking and saying to the person next to them "oh that's that new electric i3", few people already chatted through the window etc. Immediate public opinion seems to very very positive.

I said earlier I thought the transmission stalk was in an awkward place, I think it still is but the more I've used it for forward/reverse manoeuvres the more I appreciate that it's up there right next to my right hand.

I think it's a perfect town car with some A road usage thrown in. It's easy to get in and out of, easily comfortable, warm hatch performance and the boot is reasonable. At least it's put some doubt aside that I had for small EVs and a plus point for when I do get a 2nd car that is purely electric.

Last edited:

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Bought a 325ti msport. Seems a lot of car for 2 grand and am averaging 32mpg so far which is a pleasant surprise.

Its due an oil service and needs front pads and I will do the discs at the same time.

Just picked up 2x 4 litre castrol edge 0w30 from Costco for £52. This is the correct oil for an M54 engine isn't it?

For oil filter I will just goto BMW as I'm sure it won't be much but for discs and pads are OEM equivalents available cheaply or should I just grab some pagid from ECP?

Associate
Does anyone know if it's possible to achieve gapless playback with idrive playing from USB? It doesn't appear to be possible in my F20 1-series (without pro-nav) - maybe its possible on newer idrive versions?

Also there's no way to skip easily through long tracks (e.g a 90 min mix) - is this addressed on newer idrive versions?

You can skip through your music using these buttons .. just need to keep your finger pressed on either forwards / backwards

mp3.jpg

Man of Honour
Got told the i8 waiting list is pretty huge so I will be waiting a while to test drive one :(

Really, I have friends that have got them for a day and weekend within a few days of asking? I drove one last week, impressive in many ways, less so in others but quick.

Soldato
Had the first guy around to look at my 335i convertible (09), it's up for £14999 which seems pretty reasonable, he offered me £13500 which I turned down.

I've been offered £13K in PX from a dealer so I thought that offer was a bit too low ;)

Caporegime
Bought a 325ti msport. Seems a lot of car for 2 grand and am averaging 32mpg so far which is a pleasant surprise.

Its due an oil service and needs front pads and I will do the discs at the same time.

Just picked up 2x 4 litre castrol edge 0w30 from Costco for £52. This is the correct oil for an M54 engine isn't it?

For oil filter I will just goto BMW as I'm sure it won't be much but for discs and pads are OEM equivalents available cheaply or should I just grab some pagid from ECP?

The one you looked at a few weeks back (assuming I'm thinking of the right car / member...)

GT3

GT3

Soldato
The one you looked at a few weeks back (assuming I'm thinking of the right car / member...)

Yes I found out why the seller was being an arse, his wife was forcing him to sell it for a diesel and he really didn't want to sell it :p

He ended up sticking an MOT on it which it passed with an advisory on front brake pads, it had 4 new matching decentish tyres on it, he had been topping it up with Castrol Edge, it's never missed a service and has no bodywork issues or faults.

Any help with my original questions anyone :p

Back
Top Bottom