Macbook 12" - Anyone getting one?

Associate
If I wanted something really light and portable for basic tasks I'd get an iPad. If I wanted something a bit more powerful running a full OS with ports and stuff I'd get the Air or XPS13 - this new thing seems stoopid. :(

Soldato
I'll more than likely be getting one.

I dont use the CPU power that MBP can provide...I hardly use my macmini for anything at all and just cancelled my 4G contract for my ipad.

I could consolidate all my kit. My house is all wireless (music playback and printing) so I dont really need any USB ports.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
That's put me off it. It is beautiful but the fact that it genuinely is about the same as my 2011 air makes it a little too much to handle at that price. Gen 2, I'm in.

Soldato
I want one, but its prices way too high, and its missing way too many ports. I would at least need 2 USB Type-C so I can at least charge and have my monitor connected over an adapter and have 1 free usb for everything else.

Neat idea, and will really be waiting for the 13" rMBP to have a similar design. Battery life is also meh, 8 hours on lightish usage put its about the worst in the chain, with even the 15" rMBP pushing 9 hours on light usages.

Soldato
In what way did it miss the mark? Why don't people get the MacBook?

I think it either has cheaper, or offer more. Its SoC is a bit faster then the iPad Air 2, screen is about the same, and it has a keyboard. But costs the same as the rMBP.

Battery life is also meh, I would have expected the same as the 13" Airs, the Verge got 14hours on that lats year, and this gets 8 thats like 60% of the battery.

Its a 1st gen device and that makes it meh.

Soldato
Given a couple of years and a refresh or two and it'll be the model most regular people buy - the function will catch up to the form and the price will drop. Same as the original Air. Never pays to get first-gen Apple anything most of the time (people still do though).

Associate
Making things thinner and lighter has diminishing returns.

There are ridiculous arguments going on about 200g and 2mm differences between the macbook and other computers.

When the macbook is compared to similarly priced and sized computers that are much more powerful the fanboy retort is that we don't 'get' it. Which is ridiculous. Saving a couple of mm and a couple g here and there makes no real world difference but having a computer that falls over when you have ten tabs open will be awful. The same people that slate the Surface Pro for not 'fitting in' are now trying to claim that $1300 netbook is a new category invented by Apple.

I don't hate the product - it's for rich posers who are so blinded by the apple design they will never notice the bad performance. It's the gushing reviews that make me angry. If anyone else had made this it would be a laughing stock.

Last edited:
Soldato
While I agree with you that it has serious compromises, if you just want something tiny and fancy to 'go on-line' (like most apple users) then its perfect.

Just because it is not for you, does not mean is is not for most people. Most people is what Apple cater for.

Soldato
While I agree with you that it has serious compromises, if you just want something tiny and fancy to 'go on-line' (like most apple users) then its perfect.

Just because it is not for you, does not mean is is not for most people. Most people is what Apple cater for.

But most people aren't going to pay £1000 for a machine just to 'go on-line', unless they're deluded with too much money... They've already got iPads, Chromebooks and cheap Windows laptops that do that task very well.

That's why this is an example of Apple getting carried away with themselves. The original MacBook Air was something new, interesting and special. This isn't.

Soldato
The original Macbook Air was also expensive and deemed to have a lot of compromises. I agree this first gen isn't particularly good value, but it's the usual early-adopters tax and bar the connectivity complaints which won't change, performance and price will all improve with time - it's clearly designed to replace the Air eventually and will likely end up being their best selling laptop a few years down the line.

Associate
It was but it was also one of the first laptops with SSD as standard and everyone thought the performance was great. We can't say the same about the macbook.

Back
Top Bottom