***Official GTAV PC Thread*** [Important warning updated in the OP]

Associate
Wonder how long the decrypting will take? :/ I seem to think it took a fair old while on the last game I pre-loaded (South Park Stick of Truth) and that was only 6gb.

Associate
Kinda thought as much, ta.

Will I/Won't I????........it's not gonna drop in price much on Steam, if any, over the next while I would imagine. May as well just push the button just now.
Just buy it, atleast you'll have increased download speed, especially with this small patch comes when the game unlocks. And all your games in one place even if it means theres another layer of DRM.

So I pre-ordered via Steam, how do I find the Rockstar code to set up my Rockstar account?

Just go on to the rockstar social club website and create an account as they will be a login box when GTA5 starts like how GTA4 was. As I would imagine the servers will be busy come a few hours time.

Associate
Right copied my preload file from my SSD to my standard 1Tb drive, should I then uninstall via steam, then preload again onto my 1TB drive and it should find my files? Reason being, I only had 17gig left on my SSD and I have read in this thread that I would need more than that to extract and install!

Moving/Copying steam preload files
  • The encrypted preload files for steam are stored in the steamapps/depotcache folder.
  • The steamapps/appmenifest_271590.acf file is what tells steam where the GTA files are, and what state they are in.
  • To move/copy the preload files you will need to move/copy both the depotcache folder and the appmanifest file to your new steamapps folder. Restart steam and it should automatically pick up that the game has been preloaded.
  • As long as the new location is set up in steam as a library (hence the steamapps folder existing there) then there should be issues moving between drives or computers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah what the hell, just bought it on Steam. Having to install to my 1TB SATA games drive rather than my SSD as there's not enough room on it. Can't imagine it'll make a huge difference performance wise.

Associate
Right copied my preload file from my SSD to my standard 1Tb drive, should I then uninstall via steam, then preload again onto my 1TB drive and it should find my files? Reason being, I only had 17gig left on my SSD and I have read in this thread that I would need more than that to extract and install!

I'm not too sure about moving the pre-load to another drive, but make sure you also move the file called appmanifest_271590.acf in the steamapps folder itself. That tells Steam where the pre-load files are.

Associate
Just a quick tip if anyone is having issues downloading from Rockstar games then restart the client and it will boost it up to max again , I was getting 50kb down lol , did this restart and it back up at 7mb down now :) The servers will prob crash at midnight

Soldato
Not really sure why I'm staying up to play. I gotta be up for work at 6:30, so really, 1:00 is the latest I can play. Would probably make more sense for me to get a good nights sleep and hit it hard tomorrow after work, yet I'm not doing that :S

Associate
Just go on to the rockstar social club website and create an account as they will be a login box when GTA5 starts like how GTA4 was. As I would imagine the servers will be busy come a few hours time.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I already have an account which I set up for my XBOX360 but after seeing folks on the forum have already set up an OCUK gang, I thought I'd do the same for my mates.

So I guess the better question is, how do I set up a gang for the PC version of GTA V?

Associate
Not really sure why I'm staying up to play. I gotta be up for work at 6:30, so really, 1:00 is the latest I can play. Would probably make more sense for me to get a good nights sleep and hit it hard tomorrow after work, yet I'm not doing that :S

Same! 1:00 at the latest...

Soldato
So I pre-ordered via Steam, how do I find the Rockstar code to set up my Rockstar account?

What's this? I've already got a Rockstar SC login from when I played GTA V on the 360, just bought the game on Steam so do I need to create another account like SuperG has asked about?

Associate
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I already have an account which I set up for my XBOX360 but after seeing folks on the forum have already set up an OCUK gang, I thought I'd do the same for my mates.

So I guess the better question is, how do I set up a gang for the PC version of GTA V?

There's no distinction, we simply put PC in the title. xbox/ps/pc people can all be in the same crew, just obviously can't play with each other. It'll be the same account so no need to make a new one, just log in with your existing details when you launch GTA V.

Associate
I not sure what to do yet either about staying up a bit. The old single gamer inside me is saying bugger work being knackered, stay up late and have a go but the married man in me with a 37 week pregnant wife is saying I should probably go bed in case and maybe set my alarm for like 6am, not in work till 8am :p Bloody dilemma's.

Back
Top Bottom