Long time no see, I'm still alive!! New silly project.....

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Got the 3.2 out today. My god, pull-type clutches are a pain in the ass.....

V814_zpsmafqvoq0.jpg

After removing the engine I gave the diff/subframe etc a bit of a jetwash to remove a load of **** that had built up.

Before:

V815_zpsajtso90d.jpg

After:

V816_zpsnz0jcpef.jpg

V817_zpstdr6018h.jpg

The difference doesn't really show up much in the pics, but there was quite a lot of **** and grunge removed. Here she is looking a bit sorry for herself at the moment:

V818_zpsscck2imt.jpg

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Aside from odd funny look they're fine to be fair, they're a good bunch and I get on with them well :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Bit slow progress over the past couple of days. Typically, despite taking the week off to dedicate time to this I've been caught up various other things. Anyway, I have managed to get a few bits done. Wired up auxiliary fuse box and relay box:

V819_zpskblvsueh.jpg

Flux capacitor! Also mounted the fuel pump up and wired it all in. It's temporarily plumbed in at the moment, still waiting on some fittings and a filter.

V820_zpsldjqxni1.jpg

That outfeed loop will be tidied up and have a filter in it. I also installed an oil filter relocation plate:

V821_zps3hpbvgtd.jpg

It just fits in place of the stock oil filter housing and gives me load more clearance. I also worked out the engine mounts today, they'll be pretty straightforward because the stock Lexus mounts are very close to the position of the Mitsubishi mounts.

I also offered up the flywheel/adapter hub, and they fit like a dream, but I've come across a snag in that the standard Mitsi pilot bearing doesn't sit far enough into the flywheel bore due to the hubcentric adapter. Only option I have is to use a different outside diameter bearing, that way it'll slip down into the centre of the adapter. Not a major problem but means I'll have to go and find one tomorrow morning, and I was hoping to test fit the engine tomorrow. That may have to wait until saturday now. Still, things are moving on slowly but surely :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Managed to get hold of a bearing the right size this morning, so threw the flywheel adapter and flywheel onto the 1UZ.

V821_zpsixrkmuxh.jpg

V824_zps8xm3v0wy.jpg

Also knocked up the engine mount adapters. Forgot to take a pic but they aren't very exciting, just some box section basically. I'll mount the clutch up tomorrow morning and offer the engine up for a test fit :)

Oh, and as a bonus I managed to sell the Mitsi lump for decent money, so that will more than pay for a custom stainless exhaust system :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
To be clear, I'm doing the actual engine work on the parking space, the engine is in my front garden lol. The wife isn't best pleased ;)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Trial fitted it today. Got there in the end after loads of persuasion and profanities, and it going in and out twice. I've had to remove sump because I need to modify it so it clears the diff. Not something I was expecting to have to do if I'm honest, but you never know these thing until you try to fit it. Anyway, some pics:

V824_zpsfcsdqenb.jpg

V825_zpsp9xxojtk.jpg

V826_zpsq9e6ryjw.jpg

V827_zps4orb4bv4.jpg

Like a glove! :D

Back
Top Bottom