Recommend me a no fuss Linux installation

Soldato
I have been using an tiny Acer L3600 that has E7200 CPU, 3GB memory, DVD drive and currently an SSD, but now is sitting doing nothing as I have built myself a new main PC.

So.. please recommend me a no fuss install of Linux. I just don't want the hassle of having to configure it right now. Maybe later when I have more personal or job interest in Linux.

Associate
If you want windows application support out of the box (this includes drivers) then try out zorin os
Link
It's really smooth and there's is a option for windows 7, so, Ubuntu and many other skins
It's based on Ubuntu and the installation process is the same, there's even a guide if you are struggling, which is kinda hard considering the setup is pretty self explanatory
Guide link
The simplistic style is what windows 8 should have been

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Installed Ubuntu 14.10. (A recent disk I had for a work machine).

Trying to do some updates is a pain in the butt with my work's proxy though (I brought the machine to work so I could use it here, as I already have a PS3 and main PC occupying my desk at home.... and I have nothing else to really use this for other than to play around with Linux and possible use it as a test bed for application servers/performance tests etc.

Rainmaker > I'll give Mint a shot as well :)

Soldato
Installed Ubuntu 14.10. (A recent disk I had for a work machine).

Trying to do some updates is a pain in the butt with my work's proxy though (I brought the machine to work so I could use it here, as I already have a PS3 and main PC occupying my desk at home.... and I have nothing else to really use this for other than to play around with Linux and possible use it as a test bed for application servers/performance tests etc.

Rainmaker > I'll give Mint a shot as well :)

Mint is based on Ubuntu. The team basically take the Ubuntu code base (currently 14.04 LTS) and add their own theme and custom tools on top. Since Ubuntu infected their systems with Amazon and other third party crud, and moved to Unity for their desktop, Mint is the defacto *buntu based distro I'd recommend. Mint comes preconfigured with codecs, flash etc too. Try mate if you want a lean/light desktop or have older hardware, or if you have a modern system give the cinnamon edition a try (it's more modern but a bit heavier and uses your gfx card to render the DE).

Back
Top Bottom