Adding a provisional driver onto insurance

Soldato
I thought it was meant to be easy? Ring up insurance company, give details, they replied with a figure which you either accepted, or accepted after ringing off, swearing a bit and calling them back :p

Rung up Allianz to find out how much it would be to add my missus on now she is learning.

Computer says no, on your car* we can only insure folk over 25 and have held full license for 3 years, when pushed she said she didn't think they they insured provisional license holders at all. Bloody stupid, cant be a far from unusual request!

So where do I go from here... renewal is due in July, does anyone know which other insurers are likely to have a problem with it so I can avoid them... widespread, or just a few pain in the rear ends?

* only 1.6 french made diesel

Soldato
Why not just wait until July and go on a comparison website and add both of you. A couple of months isn't going to make much difference to learning to drive. Weird that they won't even insure a provisional driver.

Soldato
My Dad put my Mother on his insurance over the phone... she has a provisional license... it only bumped up his insurance by £2. That was with Aviva around 3 weeks ago. I have a full UK driving licence and It cost me £600 to be put on his insurance... Crazy.

Soldato
My Dad put my Mother on his insurance over the phone... she has a provisional license... it only bumped up his insurance by £2. That was with Aviva around 3 weeks ago. I have a full UK driving licence and It cost me £600 to be put on his insurance... Crazy.

You'll be driving on your own whereas a provisional will be with someone.

Soldato
Girlfriend added me (as a learner) a month ago with a 5 minute phone call. £50 to add on until her renewal in May. Quote for renewal goes up by £65 with me on it for the year. Can't remember what insurer..

Soldato
I had similar with Allianz.

Used them on the Alfa 159 because they were the cheapest on moneysupermarket, tried to swap onto the AUDI S6 and they said "Oh, sorry, you need to be 30".

They waved the cancellation fee, refunded the remaining time and I went elsewhere, not too hard. Their helpline is pretty good too.

Soldato
OP
(hastings)

Judging by the meerkat site its going to be hastings for me on renewal this year (unless things change around by July!)

I've never used the same company for insurance twice, whenever I renew the company I am with currently (because they were a good price the previous year) are no where near competative ... this is without fail for the better part of a decade.... it just seems very random!

Man of Honour
You'll be driving on your own whereas a provisional will be with someone.

But he has passed the frickin' test; the provisional might never have been behind the wheel before and might not look right at a roundabout! I know which I'd rather share the road with...

That someone the provisional will be with won't have the passenger brake an instructor has; how does it help?!

Back
Top Bottom