Banger Rally Car - £300

Soldato
I'm participating in a banger rally to Italy in June. I have a £300 limit to buy a car.

What should I be looking at? Any thoughts? Something comfortable would probably be my only requirement.

Associate
Did a banger rally last September. 3000 miles through 12 countries to Prague. We found a 306 DTurbo for under £300 and it was uber reliable not to mention comfortable. 7 tanks of diesel got us all the way there and back.

Man of Honour
Can't go wrong with a Volvo, good solid things... although it totally depends on if you want to go with some kind of theme or dress up.

Phone round some of the local garages and see what rubbish they've taken in as part ex - that can be a gold mine.

One thing though - avoid automatics

tIbcgQu.jpg

Caporegime
Depends entirely on what £300 nets you really.

Mate of mine did a charity run a few years back, £500 purchase limit, he ended up with an e34 525i auto which he paid about £300 for it completed the rally without issue and he kept it, he scrapped it finally at Christmas last year, it had, by then,done 390k miles.

He nearly opted for a Rover 825i but is happy he made the right choice!

I'd love to do one of these rallys some time. :)

Associate
Volvo is the way forward...

Although we paid £330 for our beauty.

erx3py.jpg

29m2c6d.jpg

Caporegime
Hell yeah, I'm definitely looking in to this.

How does accommodation work, do you simply book a hotel in the destination town for the night and then meet up in the morning?

What if your banger breaks down?

I'm fully booked for June but a quick Google tells me that there are loads, so I'm going for it.

Love that Volvo :D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Here is our challenger - Cost exactly £300. A 'C18' :)

CoE7Uh7.jpg
dhBXO6W.jpg

Lol - good luck - smack bang in the middle of Mercedes "cut costs, don't care about quality" unreliability phase!

At least it's a common car on the continent so spares should be readily available when it breaks down and every garage will know how to work on it.

Soldato
Did this last year with a £250 limit, such great fun.

Managed to get...

mule.jpg

mule2.jpg

E39 528i SE Auto :D

Have to admit it had a bit of an overheating issue though when we bought it so was a big risk... but it did get us there ok after it had a new waterpump... just but we did plan to drive it back which didn't happen... really gutted about that as it developed another overheating issue.

Man of Honour
Hell yeah, I'm definitely looking in to this.

How does accommodation work, do you simply book a hotel in the destination town for the night and then meet up in the morning?

What if your banger breaks down?

I'm fully booked for June but a quick Google tells me that there are loads, so I'm going for it.

Love that Volvo :D

Accommodation wise, pretty much that - organizer sent out destinations and hotel lists and you book away - get to the place and drink yourself silly (with one dez for the next morning taking it easy.

Breakdowns do happen - sometimes people managed to flag down other cars and get lifts, other times people got hire cars...

Soldato
I'm participating in a banger rally to Italy in June. I have a £300 limit to buy a car.

What should I be looking at? Any thoughts? Something comfortable would probably be my only requirement.

Are you doing Wacky Rally, Rockin to Rimini?

If so, I am doing that :D

Our Car:

mSyYNWS.jpg

#TeamMLG :D

Back
Top Bottom