Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
Well, the rainforest are paying for me to return my beloved (albeit lopsided in flight) Hubsan X4. Pretty good on them given it clearly says no returns after a month and we're a couple weeks out of that. We'll see what they say when they get it. They've said they can't replace it but will refund it so I'll likely but it again (or perhaps upgrade).

In a moment of paranoia, I replaced all the dirty looking props with fresh brand new ones before sending it :p

Soldato
I can't even see it yet! Its run out of battery too so I can't try to hear it or anything. It could be in one of three big trees

Outch, hope you find it, let us know the updates.

My first poor but ok attempt at making a removable mounting platform for my FPV camera and power module.

May try another one at some point but for now this is a first attempt and not too bad. Ignore that grey cable, something will be done about that.

fpvmount1.jpg

fpvmount2.jpg

Soldato
I was flying here:

IMG_20150419_134651%20%28Small%29.jpg

IMG_20150419_134904%20%28Small%29.jpg

IMG_20150419_134908%20%28Small%29.jpg

Having such a nice flight too, inbetween trees and low over the yellowy dead fern things...

After an hour or peering through the leaves about 10m up I've written it off- I couldn't reach it even if I could see it. It was the £40 Syma thing so not one I'd spent loads on and built myself!

it's meant to get a bit more windy by the middle of next week, I might go back after work one evening to see if it has fallen down by itself.

I'm not not sure if I should order another one and it could be here by early May, or get something better / build one myself...

Soldato
Ah thats gutting :( you have no idea which tree it could have been in? thats the only thing, try and stay away from trees and large sections of hedge until you get used to flying.

And always try and pinpoint where it went in, but it throws you sometimes where it went it may not be where you start looking.

I dropped my 250 the other day as my FPV battery was low, the signal was questionable at the time, I went round through a gap and the signal scrambled, anyway, I heard it come down, but when I went around to have a look I couldnt hear it anywhere. Managed to spot it in the off chance in a bunch of thorn bushes, it hit the tree and came down in to the bush, I would have been looking for that for a while as I thought it just came down in the field on the grass.

Up to you what you get next if you cant find this, all depends on what you want out of it and how much you want to spend.

Man of Honour
Ouch, how can you wright it off. Go back tomorrow.

Perhaps you need to fit one if those small find my key things to it, so you can whip phone put and locate it.

Soldato
Ah thats gutting :( you have no idea which tree it could have been in? thats the only thing, try and stay away from trees and large sections of hedge until you get used to flying.

And always try and pinpoint where it went in, but it throws you sometimes where it went it may not be where you start looking.

It was one of three trees as it went around the back of the one I was standing near, and then I lost sight of it and head it crash into the leaves. I couldn't see it in any of the three, and I guess it could have gone into another one as I didn't see it land.

It was also a dumb idea as well lack of skill (on this occasion) as I stupidly thought I'd fly straight up to pop up above the canopy of the trees, and it drifted over the tree once I was high enough. The rest of my flying had been about 6-10ft, under the branches of the trees :(

I don't really have the money to start up a quad building project atm so I've just ordered another syma.

Soldato
Ouch, how can you wright it off. Go back tomorrow.

Perhaps you need to fit one if those small find my key things to it, so you can whip phone put and locate it.

Because it is at the top somewhere of a tree about this high:

trees.JPG

Even if I did find it, I'm not going to risk breaking my neck for £40!

But yes I've learned it's very good idea to put a keyfinder thing on it!

Soldato
Get climbing :p

Serously if mine was up there id be swinging from the tree's like tarzan :)

I was searching for my mobius camera for an hour + last week

Associate
Gents, quite interested in getting a quadcopter, but its fair to say I dont really have the patience to spend time building one with various components, much like my PC building days are over. However, I would love to do some aerial filming, and maybe even get some decent smooth footage off it.

Am I right in saying, the best way of doing this would be to aim for something along the lines of the cheaper Phantom 3? I can imagine it'll be difficult to get good footage without getting a live stream of what the copter can see

Soldato
Gents, quite interested in getting a quadcopter, but its fair to say I dont really have the patience to spend time building one with various components, much like my PC building days are over. However, I would love to do some aerial filming, and maybe even get some decent smooth footage off it.

Am I right in saying, the best way of doing this would be to aim for something along the lines of the cheaper Phantom 3? I can imagine it'll be difficult to get good footage without getting a live stream of what the copter can see

I think someone suggested like a phantom 2 to someone the other day, phantom 3 will be quite expensive, I even think some of the pricetags for the phantom2 are abit OTT but I just prefer building as you get to know the crafts ins and outs, meaning you can repair yourself, tweak yourself.

If you are looking at wanting to do videography over a wider area that what line of sight will cover, then yeah FPV would be the way to go, not only that but FPV will give you the view of what your recording camera can see.

The problem with going up with just a recording camera, whilst it is ok, your restricted to looking up and hoping your capturing ok footage, or your hoping your getting smooth flight, movements and pointing where you want to shoot the video.

Many people go for gopro's, but I am fine with my 1080p £56 mobius for recording on mine to be honest once I get the slight vibration out properly on my 450. Its good.

I don't:( Maybe I'll borrow my Dad's binoculars and ladders and get it down that way.

Atleast give it a go, even if it is £40, thats £40 that could potentially be saved. The problem is I can gaurentee this isnt going to be the last you may lose your quad :p it can happen again, you have to learn not to let it beat you otherwise you'll be chucking away £40 each time

If its that gone then I guess there is nothing you can do, but would be worth trying anyway

Last edited:
Associate
Ur Round Next - great machine. Is/was on my want list, but with the Phantom 3 very similar I might go for that, when I can afford it.

Also Im missing out on flying my Vision, the weather is great but the K-Index is very high. I know some people say dont worry, but I do :)

Thanks mate its a great peace of kit to fly im just saving up now for the dual remote and iv finally got a TB48 battery :)

I never fly in 5kp index or over

Loads of open feilds around my way

pcqxQw8.jpg

utWk4LL.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Just ordered a dji phantom 3 proff 4k with extra battery, will give some feedback when it arrives. had a full phantom fullfpv, and got a yuneec q500 at the moment.

Associate
I really want to buy Syma X5C-1 as my first Quad but I keep reading reviews of sellers being sent the older version even though the newer version is advertized. Can anyone recommend a reliable seller please? Thanks

Soldato
I really want to buy Syma X5C-1 as my first Quad but I keep reading reviews of sellers being sent the older version even though the newer version is advertized. Can anyone recommend a reliable seller please? Thanks

Amazon:

I used the Coshine Group, and they sent the wrong one. Still in the process of getting a refund.
I then used JZK Express Network who sent the correct one. They're not doing it anymore though it seems.

Overall it is a good first quadcopter. Don't fly near trees.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went for the two pack of 600MaH ones, for a fiver. One battery seems to last 10 minutes so 3 in total will be enough for my basic flying. If you want another charger I think there is a pack of 5 batteries plus charged for £20.

I'd recommend 'modding' the camera so it doesn't point at the ground when it arrives by the way. It gives much better video!

Back
Top Bottom