Garden cabling - trunking or similar?

Soldato
Ive decided over the next 3 years I am going to get the garden looking spot on. All of the overgrown trees and bushes are coming down and I want to put some low voltage lighting around the place. Its a pretty big garden and I want to have a few different "zones" for the lighting so its not just a case of running a couple of cables along the fence. There will also be speaker cables and possible some of that small sprinkler cable that will exit onto the surface where the plants are.

Would something like drainpipe be suitable? Its probably a little on the large size but would take everything I need and more. Id also like to have a couple of access panels along the way and I can put some pull cords in for anything else in the future.

I dont think I have a requirement for 240v anywhere so it will just be 12v for the lights, speaker cables and probably the sprinler hose.

Any ideas on any of the above would be great thanks.

Soldato
There's regulations :)

I don't know about 12V lights but definitely with 240V.. including armoured cable and specific requirements if the cable is buried (depth, marking, conduit).

Soldato
I just used some of that blue MDPE hose you see new home builds using (you can get it in B&Q or probably cheaper from builders merchant). I just buried that and you can put quite a bit through there.

I had some spare so I put my armoured cable in it, particularly in the part of the lawn it was running along that I ariate.

Associate
Blue water pipe (alcathene I think or something) is ideal, it's cheap, sturdy, flexible and has a 25mm internal diameter.

Usual sizes for the MDPE are 20mm, 25mm and 32mm. Next up would be 50mm or 63mm but that sounds massively overkill.

Couple of options at least anyway. A coil of 50/63mm electric cable ducting wouldn't be much more expensive either, possibly a little thicker than you wanted though :p

Soldato
Drainpipe is too thin - it's not strong enough. If you're going to be doing it, it's worth doing it properly. @smogsy is a recent user of armoured cable, so I'm sure he can advise. And go for a decent internal diameter and plenty of pull cords. You want it to be easy to pull a new cable through and too small an internal diameter will make things difficult in future. A larger internal diameter also allows you to use ferrets - you (carefully!) tie a pull-cord to a ferret and it runs through the tube to the treat at the other end.

Back
Top Bottom