90s v 00s/01s attitudes

Man of Honour
For those older people in here, how would you sum up the difference between general attitudes in this country between these decades, I was looking at some old emails from the 90s and 00s and they were pretty crude(not sent from me mind you), was I just mixing with the wrong crowd or are we a bit more classy now?

We had to use a phone (if you had one) or talk to people, that in itself is one of the biggest differences.

Soldato
The internet will be the biggest change, while it was around in the 90's it wasn't mainstream until around 97/98.

Growing up with social media, the internet, smartphone technology will be the key differences between the last few generations.

Being born in the mid 80's I was part of the basic (33 10) mobile phone with basic internet by mid teens. Overall each generation tends to be better than the last, less racist, less homophobic & less violent.

Soldato
Ghost in the Machine.

Each generation...

People between 20-30 make leaps of faith, perform high risk changes and some succeed big (usually by luck) - all driven by their lack of understanding of the world coupled with boundless energy.

People after 30 seem to be driven by their growing understanding of the world but make ever decreasing jumps because they're conditioned todo so in attempt to focus their dwindling energy capacity (because it's spread between family too).

I want to be spontaneous, try new ideas and push new frontiers however it seem the UK society really looks at you and pigeonholes you to the latter.. only if you're a million/billionaire do you have the financial ability to make your own steps.

Seems that there's lots of talent wasted in the 'modern' tech area with people in their 40s still wanting to push the envelope.

Caporegime
in the 90s you had to work hard for everything.
these days people just leave school thinking they gods gift to mankind.
everyone is taught they are special, school gets easier and loads of men are starting to wear makeup even people that are straight.

clothes are becoming more feminine stupid tight skinny jeans and skin tight shirts, men with female looking eye brows etc

almost every photo you see on facebook people are holding these weird looking facial poses and it's not uncommon for people to photo shop their skin for a better complexion when in real life they are acne scarred messes.
oh and lets not forget every selfie has to be taken like you are starring up at a helicopter

peoples idols are the worst possible people you could choose basically wayne and waynetta slobs with money

Last edited:
Soldato
Children have been unfortunately coddled too much

Part of it is this awful blame culture where if a child doesn't do well at school it's the teachers fault or it's the system that's failed, or even the parents, rather than the child being too bone idle to bother.

I would say the two biggest changes in attitude over the past few decades are apathy and narcissism.

There are so many people I come across these days that have complete apathy towards anything, unless it directly impacts on them, and even then it takes a lot for someone to actually bother to do anything about it.

Narcissism, well this has increased exponentially with the dawning of social media - MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and the raft of 'selfie' instant messaging apps that do the rounds. It isn't a nice attribute to ones character.

Last edited:
Associate
everyone is taught they are special, school gets easier and loads of men are starting to wear makeup even people that are straight.

clothes are becoming more feminine stupid tight skinny jeans and skin tight shirts, men with female looking eye brows etc

almost every photo you see on facebook people are holding these weird looking facial poses and it's not uncommon for people to photo shop their skin for a better complexion when in real life they are acne scarred messes.
oh and lets not forget every selfie has to be taken like you are starring up at a helicopter

peoples idols are the worst possible people you could choose basically wayne and waynetta slobs with money

Men looking feminine now?? It's like the 80s didn't happen.

Caporegime

You seem a little angry there fella.

Maybe start by not using facebook if seeing selfies bothers you that much, or just remove those doing it?

As pointed out above, there were a lot more feminine looking men in the 80's.

People back then still idolised those who had pretty much zero importance to their life.

Permabanned

When I was 18 the people that wore tight skinny jeans were EMO rock 14 year olds. Now i am 31, i am expected to dress like a 14 emo kid. I saw a 50 year old guy wearing a skinny suit pants. If you dare not to wear tight clothes be prepared to hear random shout outs like "its not the 90s anymore" "nice jeans

The future of modern feminists masculinity in one picture http://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/3t...+biersack-bvb-black+veil+brides-emo-jeans.jpg

Soldato
Cameras, on every street, street corner, shop whatever. We are all now complacent sheep who do not mind being photographed 300 times a day or leaving a trail as you go about your business.

Phones, I rarely use one except for work and fail to see the attraction of being tied to one and therefore expected to be in touch 24/7.

I am glad I grew up in the last century (b1952) just for these reasons. You could probably get away with more stuff.

Back
Top Bottom