Poll: Merge in turn - why does nobody get it?

Who was in the right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Everyone else has managed to get in lane.

It frustrates me so much that people fly down empty lanes in these sort of situations and then expect to be let in. It's not the incorrect merge that annoys me, it's just people's sense of entitlement on the roads.

Kudos to the driver for slowing him down, I'd have probably gotten out.

Why do you think the cones are where they are?

Are they:

a) Thrown there completely at random
b) Carefully placed at the optimal point to ensure both smooth traffic flow and safety to the workforce

If it's b), why merge 800 yards before the designated merge point placed there by the person who actually PLANNED THE ROADWORKS!? If the optimal merge point was 800 yards before where the cones are... THE CONES WOULD BE 800 YARDS FURTHER UP THE ROAD!

If it's a), lol@you

Soldato
Well there is 2 ways to look at it imo. The first is that the driver of the merc was minding his own business, just joined the dual carriageway or has been in lane 1 for miles and then approaches traffic and continues along his lane until he finds a spot to merge but before he does someone pulls out and blocks him.

The other way is that the driver of the merc is an impatient idiot that has decided that he doesn't want to wait and purposefully moves into the left lane to undertake the entire queue of traffic with the intent to push in right at the end but is hampered by someone that doesn't agree with him doing this.

I have a feeling I know which one.

Soldato
That's fine, however as demonstrated by this Mercedes driver, he's steaming down the empty lane so that he can get ahead of everybody else that have (rightly or wrongly) already moved across.

Anyone can easily see from that video that he isn't just making progress in the empty lane, he's gunning it to skip the queue.

He's gunning it and also probably smiling to himself how idiotic the other drivers are, I'd be exactly the same.

Soldato
There is no other way to look at this, anymore than there's a way to look at any other regulation of the road. It's irrelevant where the Merc joined or how long he'd been in the carriageway. It's very simple... the lane is there to be used. Everyone queuing in the other lane is ignorant to this fact. There is, obviously, no way to know if the Merc driver knows this law, and perhaps is impatient and THINKS he's being 'clever' as opposed to 'right', but it doesn't change the fact that he is absolutely the latter. He's doing NOTHING wrong. Renault driver should have points off his license for this no doubt. If that doesn't meet the definition of dangerous driving then nothing does!

18 people who voted for Renault driver should be retaking their tests. Shame on you. Well, minus 1 as I read someone voted by mistake lol... ;)

I wonder how people in other countries treat this situation? I've never encountered it abroad myself. I do wonder if this is simply down to the British obsession with queuing!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Please don't stoop to insulting people guys... I understand some of you are passionate about this but I made the poll results public for a bit of a laugh and because I was intrigued, not so we could single them out and insult them.

Associate
Do you get equally as annoyed when you're queuing for a checkout at the supermarket and someone else goes for another checkout with a shorter queue, instead of joining your one?

Fantastic analogy.

Tummy (and the other Renault voters, but mostly tummy) you're the sort of person that causes dangerous accidents and should reconsider your approach to driving.

Use the free lane all day long

Underboss
I do not know where this is, but how do you know the merc driver isn't going left ?

Oh wait, so its being merged into one ? the merc was in his right to use another lane, nothing wrong with that at all, its 2 lanes for this reason. The Renault driver should NOT have pulled out to block anyone, complete tool

Soldato
Everyone else has managed to get in lane.

It frustrates me so much that people fly down empty lanes in these sort of situations and then expect to be let in. It's not the incorrect merge that annoys me, it's just people's sense of entitlement on the roads.

Kudos to the driver for slowing him down, I'd have probably gotten out.

LOL

Soldato
What would have been a great viral video if the merc driver anticipated the scenic and the guy behind the scenic was sleeping and the merc driver dropped into the space where the scenic was! :D

Soldato
I think it's quite rude of the mercedes driver to sail down the lane which has been vacated by everyone else as they have moved in to position anticipating the closure of the lane. I'd have been annoyed to see him trying to jump the queue like that but the Renault drivers actions are dangerous and could have caused an accident.

Soldato
I think it's quite rude of the mercedes driver to sail down the lane which has been vacated by everyone else as they have moved in to position anticipating the closure of the lane. I'd have been annoyed to see him trying to jump the queue like that but the Renault drivers actions are dangerous and could have caused an accident.

But he's not queue jumping...

Soldato

It's really not rude at all, he's just taking the opportunity that others should be doing.

Why queue when you don't need to?

Soldato

This is such rubbish. If people had been using all of the road like they should then no one could consider it queue-jumping. Why do people not understand how roads work :( It's why multi-lane carriageways exist!

Man of Honour
They need to make the closure meet in the middle to a single lane briefly before then aiming back to the lane they want to keep open.. if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom