Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I almost met Oli tonight. We were in touching distance. Strava needs real time alerts.

The weird thing is that I seen a small guy in a Rose between Putney Bridge and URR and thought it might be Shamrock.

Edit; though his is black and this one was white.

Last edited:
Associate
I was on the Canyon Speedmax tonight and looking like a knobber in my Kask Bambino.:cool:

Tonight reminded me of why I go to RP at 6am not 6pm!

Agreed, so annoying! I was there at 6pm tonight and the Queen's road section of RP ACW was soooo with traffic! Seemed everyone was out in their car tonight and taking the scenic route through the park!

Associate
Today was National Bring Your Car To Work Day; didn't you get the memo?

Interestingly 6pm was the same time Oli and I were there; do you see a Chris and an Oliver on Flyby?

Last edited:
Soldato
I almost met Oli tonight. We were in touching distance. Strava needs real time alerts.

The weird thing is that I seen a small guy in a Rose between Putney Bridge and URR and thought it might be Shamrock.

Edit; though his is black and this one was white.

I somehow missed Shamrock despite all those laps tonight! I did see loads of KW guys out as well, but traffic in the evenings is a pain!

Soldato
Depends on what you're trying to avoid in winter. Punctures from all the crud on the road? Better tyres will indeed help. Getting wet? Mudguards will help; your current bike may already be good for this. Salt damage? You want something with cheap components or you need to be diligent about cleaning things. Ice and snow? Snow tyres are serious business and may not even fit on a CX bike, depending on the clearances.

I need guards which I'll need advice on modding later in the year.

Tyres mainly as I'll need very good grip around here, my wheels will become winter wheels and I'll buy a new decent set next summer. I'm hoping my cassette will see the year through and stay on these wheels there after and be replaced with cheaper gear during winters whilst summer wheels will get the best gear :)

I just don't want to commute on my mtb lol I wana keep using my roadie all year round.

Something like this

Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Folding Road Tyre

Last edited:
Associate
Good ride! I'd have suggested meeting up but I had zero confidence that my legs would be up to anything today!

My new tyres feel fantastic after the Kendas! As long as they are a bit more puncture resistant then I'm quite pleased with my budget purchase :p

Had a bike handling skills fail today. There is quite a deep ford near me and I never have the confidence to go through it on the bike (plus I don't want to get soaked) so I normally walk over the footbridge that runs around it. Today I decided to ride the footbridge which was a bit narrower with a sharper turn than I was expecting! After pinballing off of two fences I was back under control and on my way with two weeping scraped elbows and half a knuckle skin missing :p

At one stage I felt like I was slower than a slow thing going quite slowly on one climb. Upload the route to find a 2015 KOM :p I also got a second overall on a decent so I must have been given a bit of confidence with the new tyres as I normally descend like a granny.

Ha , zero confidence in your legs and you put out that average. I was doing ok today but then turned back into the headwind and my legs were burning something rotten. Its a bit of a slog heading back into Wymondham past the Lotus cars though.

Remember the faster you go through water the more of a bow wave you make to clear a path ;):D

Associate
Absolutely ****** with the APR tonight. Well in to Tedmaul for sticking in there unlike me!

https://www.strava.com/activities/290020804/overview

Got back to the hall and had two cups of tea, about 6 haribo bags and 6 bits of cake before I headed home in the low light.

That was hard!

https://app.strava.com/activities/290011306

Think my legs have just fallen off.

With hindsight, doing my commute and then the APR was not a great idea. Done the best part of 125km today. And my legs are currently feeling every km. :(

Associate
If we get an OcUK team jersey made it would make spotting each other very easy.:D

Castelli do custom kit or perhaps if we ask Rapha really nicely?

Has to be Rapha. I don't even wear my club's kit because it's not merino blend; I wear my Rapha kit in the same colours (black and pink like I was wearing this evening, the yellow rucksack is someone else's club kit).

Soldato
That was hard!

https://app.strava.com/activities/290011306

Think my legs have just fallen off.

With hindsight, doing my commute and then the APR was not a great idea. Done the best part of 125km today. And my legs are currently feeling every km. :(

I did say I should have been in your group! I might have managed to hang on that bit longer.

I felt like we were fair shifting along when the scratch came blasting past!

I'm in bed feeling like my soul has been removed from my body via my ********. Driving to work tomorrow it seems.:D

Soldato
Ha , zero confidence in your legs and you put out that average. I was doing ok today but then turned back into the headwind and my legs were burning something rotten. Its a bit of a slog heading back into Wymondham past the Lotus cars though.

Remember the faster you go through water the more of a bow wave you make to clear a path ;):D

Yeah even at the start of the ride they felt really heavy but they kept on spinning :p If I'd have known I'd have gone North to meet you. I was struggling today though. I'm not a fan or riding up that road in that direction as you always seem to be in a head wind.

Unless I'm doing a short ride I don't have my Garmin displaying anything other than a route as I tend to ride to my average speed rather than what feels right so sometimes I have days like today where I feel like I'm cycling through treacle and end up with a respectable pace :p

Soldato
Champion Systems do custom kit and have a competition on at the minute for the best designs will be turned into full kits for 6 people for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom