Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Ah ok, I'm going to try to get on a closed TT at some point this year, or just do the Thruxton one at the end of the year.

They've been open for quite a while, the first is sold out now though I think, they've been having a lot of trouble through RiderHQ as people keep getting kicked out and told their entry is cancelled.

I'm in for the 21st Jun one on the TT bike.

Soldato
It depresses me that I've not been out in the last week :( Got to sort out my garden before I'm off work next week so i can get a couple of deliveries. After that though I'll be out as much as possible. Got to get myself back up these April leaderboards ;)

Underboss
Cleat position is important, I actually refitted mine from scratch yesterday - I'd tried a number of times to 'adjust' by feeling a good position from the original position I put them in (which I just lined them up roughly by eye to my feet position on the pedals - back in July!).

I used the 'tried and tested' (?) method of marking on my shoes (pencil) where the 'balls' on the outside of my feet were. I found my left cleat was very near the position (one I've had no problem with), yet my right was quite far out (the one I've been having numbness problems with and adjusted several times). Both original positions were further forwards than the new one.

After riding home yesterday I noticed quite a bit of movement in my right and it still wasn't comfortable, I was fairly sure my feet are 'even' so I placed my shoes sole to sole and replicated the left cleat position onto the right shoe. Test ride last night and it's much better, my long ride this weekend will tell for sure! :cool:

Fitted my Raceblade Longs (XL) and very impressed so far... Very little noise and hardly any rubbing to sort out (unlike the Giant guards). Time will tell as they need some age and weather into them to be sure, at the moment they're substantially better than the Giant guards. The only current downside would be them mounting on the QR skewers rather than the mount points I have on my frame, so removing wheels becomes more tricky/time consuming.

raceblades.jpg

Edit: size fixed!

Noooo! Gutted, hopefully they find it :o

Not tried a Funkier, the only Altura I tried (Nevis II) I found it to be quite poorly fitted - 'baggy' around the middle and the tail hardly dropped/nothing to keep it down. Really felt like it wasn't optimised to the 'riding' position. Defo worth trying jackets on sat on a bike, rather than just stood in a shop! :)

I will try them on in the shop for sure, but they don't do the altura in a Large (but I can order one in)

Associate
FAO: Campagnolo Wheel Owners

Have any of you ever broke a spoke and had to get it replaced - was it a huge pain in the ass? I broke a spoke in my rear wheel of my Zonda's last night. Ringing round the bike shops near me in West London and nowhere stocks the replacement parts (Sigma, Pearson, Bicycle) so would be approx week lead time for them to get them. Teaches me for buying Italian! I've managed to buy a kit online from total cycles so can then go back to the LBS when hopefully they are delivered tomorrow!

Associate
Ah, I just know on my Felt I got very similar sounding issue, one side mostly when applying force (like climbing out of saddle) and removed the cranks, wavey washer etc , cleaned and heavily greased it all up again. Put it all back together with a little extra tightening on the cranks and so far so good.

Saying that I have got a converter BB on standby when I eventually buy a Shimano 5800 Crankset because it will inevitably come back! (oh the optimism!) but a good clean and re grease (without removing the bearings) solved it for now.

Soldato
Ah, I just know on my Felt I got very similar sounding issue, one side mostly when applying force (like climbing out of saddle) and removed the cranks, wavey washer etc , cleaned and heavily greased it all up again. Put it all back together with a little extra tightening on the cranks and so far so good.

Saying that I have got a converter BB on standby when I eventually buy a Shimano 5800 Crankset because it will inevitably come back! (oh the optimism!) but a good clean and re grease (without removing the bearings) solved it for now.

Was it a 'click' very similar to a chainring/headset kinda click (fairly sure I've had both) and different from a spoke kinda 'clunk'?! I seem to have had them all! :p

Worth bearing in mind, thanks for the heads up - if mine is a BB30 it would explain a lot (everywhere I google online people recommend to replace them?)!

I couldn't figure out how to remove it (after taking the one crank arm off) but with it being press-fit I understand roughly now how to do it. I won't be doing anything until I've got some grease for regreasing it, watched some videos of people doing it and the time to do it (ideally an easy weekend!) :)

Associate
Yep had the click, then progressed to creaking. You should be able to get the cranks off without special tools, the bearings need some stupidly priced tools for putting back in though. Good luck!

Associate
Argh, not been able to commute as much the last fortnight :( one day last week and looking like one day this week! Stupid site visits.

Been out with the dog a few times though and she's getting fitter, she is no longer tired when I get home. Must work her harder! had her running at 30+mph in cooler days over but last few not been getting her to fast, impressive dog.

Still got a sprain in my finger which hurts like crazy after cycling or kayaking, how long do these things take to heal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom