Long time no see, I'm still alive!! New silly project.....

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I assume you'll need new fuel tank and lines also, what with changing from diesel to petrol?

No, I just ran the tank nearly dry before starting this conversion, then after connecting the fuel pump up I've pumped most of the remainder out. I intend to put a bit of petrol in the tank then pump that out too, that should get rid of the majority of the diesel. There will still be a little left, but with a full tank of petrol it won't make a huge difference, it'll just lower the octane a bit.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Bit of an update, I haven't been able to get a lot done due to being back at work this week, but I did finish modding the sump:

V828_zpszsvfl6yr.jpg

V829_zpsctf0m7wy.jpg

I installed it but even with the mods it was tighter against the diff than I would like, so I raised the engine mounts a bit. This has given me lots of clearance, but caused another problem, the engine is now canted backwards too much, it's almost touching the bulkhead and the prop angles are more than I'm comfortable with due to the angle of the engine and transmission. I intend to solve this by simply dropping the entire front subframe by around 20-25mm with some spacer plates. This will bring the engine and driveline into a more acceptable angle, and as an added bonus it will help to bring my front CVs more into line, I've never been happy with the angle of them since doing the 2" lift so it'll be better all round. I'll lose some ground clearance, but I can live with that.

Also, how easy will the electrics and dials be?

I have the complete 1UZ loom and ecu, I will just piggyback it in the Mitsubishi loom, leaving the Mitsubishi ECU to run everything else. The dials should be pretty straightforward, according to somebody who's done this before the tacho will happily work from the Lexus RPM output, and the temp gauge even works correctly from the Lexus sender.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Ok, made some more progress. Dropping the subframe 20mm and lifting the gearbox 15mm worked a treat. I also installed the oil lines, oil cooler, and oil filter relocation. Radiator is in place, but not 100% plumed in yet as I'm waiting for some 90-degree elbows. I've also started the wiring, oh, and I have given it it's first test run :D

Ignore the smoke, I'm pretty sure that it's from some residual diesel that was still in the tank, and the open headers are allowing it to come straight back into the engine bay. Other than that it seems to run well for the 30-seconds or so that I've ran it :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Sorry for the lack of updates, haven't had much spare time and been having issues sorting the clutch, but it's done now and today she moved under her own steam :D

I'm hoping the smoke is down to a combination of some residual diesel and rich running due to the ECU still learning. We'll see how it goes after I've run a few tanks through it.

Hoping to get the exhaust done some time next week, then I can take it for a proper drive :D

Back
Top Bottom